Rebalance - coupla things

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole Lindsay

Reaction score
Hi again

When rebalancing can anybody tell me how much you are supposed to reduce the system? Is it just a little "scuff up" or are we talking about virtually taking it back to the natural nail? If it is the latter then obviously that would take a lot longer. I notice that most salons talk about infills but dont ever use the term rebalance. Does this mean that they dont do them or they just charge the same for either service even though a rebalance takes longer? I know that Talented Talons has mentioned previously that she charges more for rebalance but am a bit nervous about putting that on the price list if its not a term used by salons.

hi ya i always thin right down otherwise after a few rebalances they would start to look more like mountains!! :D

People use different terms

infill - when you only fill in the growth near the cuticle
rebalance - this is where you restructure the entire nail as the stress area has grown forward - some people class a rebalance as what they do when they replace the white in a Perm French.

It also depends on where you have been trained - some people are only trained to do infills.

You should be doing a rebalance at least every 2nd appointment if not every appointment.

Carole Lindsay said:
Hi again

When rebalancing can anybody tell me how much you are supposed to reduce the system? Is it just a little "scuff up" or are we talking about virtually taking it back to the natural nail? If it is the latter then obviously that would take a lot longer. I notice that most salons talk about infills but dont ever use the term rebalance. Does this mean that they dont do them or they just charge the same for either service even though a rebalance takes longer? I know that Talented Talons has mentioned previously that she charges more for rebalance but am a bit nervous about putting that on the price list if its not a term used by salons.

When rebalancing (ordinary type not a forever french) (ie when you restructure the enhancement so that zone 2 is put back in the right place), it i not necessary to take the whole enhancemnt down to nothing. Neither is it a little scuff up.

Think of zone 2 on a liquid and powder nail, like a stress strip in a wrap.
every 4-5 weeks, it needs replacing so that there is still strength in that area.

SO ... look form the side to see where you need to take the 'bulk' away, and shorten and thin the enhancement in zone 1. Flatten and thin the enhancemnet in zone 2. Prepare zone 3.
Apply a bead in zone two to rebuild the strength and fill in zone 3. That's it.

naturalnails said:
People use different terms

infill - when you only fill in the growth near the cuticle
rebalance - this is where you restructure the entire nail as the stress area has grown forward - some people class a rebalance as what they do when they replace the white in a Perm French.

It also depends on where you have been trained - some people are only trained to do infills.

You should be doing a rebalance at least every 2nd appointment if not every appointment.
would you charge infill and rebalance at different prices?

geeg said:
When rebalancing (ordinary type not a forever french) (ie when you restructure the enhancement so that zone 2 is put back in the right place), it i not necessary to take the whole enhancemnt down to nothing. Neither is it a little scuff up.

Think of zone 2 on a liquid and powder nail, like a stress strip in a wrap.
every 4-5 weeks, it needs replacing so that there is still strength in that area.

SO ... look form the side to see where you need to take the 'bulk' away, and shorten and thin the enhancement in zone 1. Flatten and thin the enhancemnet in zone 2. Prepare zone 3.
Apply a bead in zone two to rebuild the strength and fill in zone 3. That's it.
Gigi: thanks very much, that clarifies things no end :D

Personally I actually charge the same as I do a on the spot judgement at each appointment and it is easier for me to charge the same rather than keep charging different prices each time they come but then that is just me. I charge differently if they are having the white replaced as this does take longer.

naturalnails said:
Personally I actually charge the same as I do a on the spot judgement at each appointment and it is easier for me to charge the same rather than keep charging different prices each time they come but then that is just me. I charge differently if they are having the white replaced as this does take longer.
sorry to pick your brains here! how many tips would you replace included in the price? after that how much would you charge per tip?

I replace two and then I charge £3 per nail but I think it will vary from place to place. I know from reading threads on here that some don't give any free nails but I'm too scared to go for that option!!!!

Rebalancing is done in zone's...........each zone has it's own checkpoints.........

Zone one......check for: curling of natural nail away from product, check for direction of nail growth, location of apex................
Zone two ......check for: lateral wall lifting, pocket lifting on apex
Zone three..........check for: rate of growth, lifting.........

Thin out all zones, start with zone 1 and work up to zone 3.......You use a 120 grit file on old cured product...........
Make sure you expose a small margin of keratin along the lateral walls, cuticle area, and free edge if applicable, new product applied here will provide the new seal............
Dont forget to scrubfresh!!!!!!
Then proceed as you would on a fresh new application..............work from zone 1 to zone 3..........

Infills: You still have to check for rate of growth, pocket lifting aso. if you have a large regrowth area you will find that you will be rebalancing rather then infilling ............
HTH

I have a set price for a rebalance which includes 2 repairs - after that any other repairs are 1/10th of the full set price each.

I will include one replacemnet nail with a rebalance after that i charge £3 per nail. My priceing is judged on what others charge in my area so i'm kind of in the middle of the price range between salons and other mobile Technicians.

I think its important to do a little research in what is being charged where you live so you can be competitive without seeming to cheap.

I know alot of people don't give anything away but it really depends on how you feel at the time i think.

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Rebalancing is done in zone's...........each zone has it's own checkpoints.........

Zone one......check for: curling of natural nail away from product, check for direction of nail growth, location of apex................
Zone two ......check for: lateral wall lifting, pocket lifting on apex
Zone three..........check for: rate of growth, lifting.........

Thin out all zones, start with zone 1 and work up to zone 3.......You use a 120 grit file on old cured product...........
Make sure you expose a small margin of keratin along the lateral walls, cuticle area, and free edge if applicable, new product applied here will provide the new seal............
Dont forget to scrubfresh!!!!!!
Then proceed as you would on a fresh new application..............work from zone 1 to zone 3..........

Infills: You still have to check for rate of growth, pocket lifting aso. if you have a large regrowth area you will find that you will be rebalancing rather then infilling ............
HTH
Cheers Ruth: 120 grit file? crikey no wonder it takes me so long, i've been using a 180!!!!

Yeah thanks Ruth, i actually used a 12o grit file by accident then realised it took me half the time, but then worried about leaving deep scratches, but then i white blocked it and it seemed to sort it out.

Glad you said that so i know i'm not doing anything wrong.

yep 120 grit to reduce bulk and then koala 240 to smooth and bring it flush with the natural nail..................
120 grit is ok as you are filing on old product....remember to file towards any lifting, not from lifting to adhered product..this way the lifted prodcut will just flake off and no nail damage ....Also when filing new product remember, don't use 120 grit.........go for 180+ and Koala.........................
Happy Re-balancing xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back