Rebalance - filing lifting problem.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki-Marie

Reaction score
Recently during a rebalance, removing a little bit of lift caused me a few problems!

Firstly when removing the lift i caused a little ring of fire (yep i was filing above the lift not on it), which i have not done in a long long time, so i was frustrated with that. Then as i continued, i just couldnt blend the gel to look flush with the nail, so when re applying more product i was left with obvious marks of the old gel underneath.

Was wondering what ive done wrong here :confused:

You never file on top of the lifted material.

File only where the product is still firmly attached and the lifted bit will just flake off.

No rings of fire!

No unsightly fill lines.

I believe I covered this in the tutorial on rebalancing here on the site and it is covered completely in the book 'nailclass' available from mundo

How to tackle the dreaded problem of removing lifted material.

One thing you must look at first, is whether or not you are seeing more lift on your clients’ nails than you should be. It is common for amateurs to get lifting at the sides and the cuticle area because they go too near, or they touch the skin with the product in the first place. Sometimes the lift is due to product being applied to thickly (another part of the learning curve). Keep a small margin around the nail plate free of product when you apply. Work with less product and lifting will become a thing of the past, or at least a rarity.

Many technicians spend much energy and time ‘chasing the line’ of lifted material down the nail plate, filing and filing until half the product has been removed. There is no need.

Do you know why you are chasing the line down the nail??? Because you are filing ON TOP of the area that is already lifted instead of filing on the part of the enhancement that is still adhered firmly to the nail!! This creates unsightly and unsanitary ‘fill lines’ which remain visible on the completed nail.

When you file on top of the lifted product, which is ALREADY loose, you just shake loose everything below where you are filing and end up chasing the line until you reach an area where the product is thicker and so therefore will not shake loose so easily. What a waste of time and effort. What a chore!

If you concentrate instead, on filing just BELOW the lifted area (where the product is firmly attached), you won't loosen anything further and when you ‘break through’ to the natural nail, the lifted bit will just pop off and there will be NO fill lines and No nail damage either. Get it??

Take this little gem of information - use it - and your life as a nail technician will be changed forever.

Recently during a rebalance, removing a little bit of lift caused me a few problems!

Firstly when removing the lift i caused a little ring of fire (yep i was filing above the lift not on it), which i have not done in a long long time, so i was frustrated with that. Then as i continued, i just couldnt blend the gel to look flush with the nail, so when re applying more product i was left with obvious marks of the old gel underneath.

Was wondering what ive done wrong here :confused:

Also if you were using a fairly low grit file this may have just disturbed the OK gel instead of leaving it flush, maybe try a higher grit file?

I never file on top of the lift only above it. Thanks geeg i do have that gem of info printed off for my notes. This nail was a stubborn little monkey. I use 180 grit to remove product, then switch to my 240 for zone 3 and blending. I dont normally have any problems the filed lifted area normally just pops off. Maybe I was having an off day. I felt a bit deflated after, but hey ho im sure we all have these days.

Latest posts

Back