Rebalance or Start Over on client with unknown product.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer when you have a new client with 'unknown brand' enhancements?

• Remove old enhancements and apply New Set

Votes: 92 82.1%
  • Rebalance

Votes: 20 17.9%

• Total voters

VHunter

Reaction score
My question to all of you is this:

When a new client shows up with product from another salon, which option do you choose most often?
Please explain the 'why' of your answer.

I usually choose Option B.
Because:
  • Removal off NSS nails frequently results in revealing previously damaged nails to which the product won't adhere very well.
  • Removal of NSS causes discomfort to the client because their nail plates have been overfiled previously, and are sensitive.
  • Removal of NSS can result in heat-spikes via UV Gel application due to the thin nail plates.
  • Removal of NSS nails is labour intensive and I have a set rate for removals which at the end of the day, really doesn't pay for the time of removing NSS nails.
  • I don't see the need for removal of nails that aren't NSS if I can see they are done right and there's no infection beneath the product.
  • It is a shorter appointment which pleases the client, unlike a removal of NSS & new set that takes quite some time.
  • And lastly: more is earned from a Rebalance than from a Removal & New Set since it requires less time and product.
I discuss all of this with the client, explaining my preference BUT still leaving them the choice for either a Rebalance or Removal & New Set. So far, they always choose the rebalance. (*which, the rebalance is a 'near' removal since I reduce them as thinly as possible without touching the nail plate) Sooooo what are your thoughts?

I do the same as you for all the same reasons...... i've found before that so much thinning had been done to the natural nail, that removing them left them extremely sensitive for the client and reapplying product was a nigtmare!

I just file them to a very thin layer and re-apply as normal.

For me it depends....how much growth,lifting and the general conditions the service is in.

If they are shocking and cant be saved without hrs of filing then I suggest removal and fresh set.

If they are not that bad and can be saved I do as you said VHunter and reduce and do nice and fresh rebal.

But its nearly always down to time and money,if the client doesnt want to pay for a full set and you dont have time then what can you do except advise.

In the shop my boss always advises new rebal clients that have NSS nails on to get them removed and then come back for a full set.She likes the clients to see the condition of the nails before anyone in the shop works on them as more often than not they are damaged and weak and as we all know removal times for these sets can take an age.

hth xxx

Hi Victoria!

Thanks for posting your veiws on this topic it is a great lot of info to read!

I always have removed the previous product as I worried that a rebalance could leave a slight possibility for a service fail as I had no idea what the stuff was previously. It might not bond correctly? It could look odd in color tones, I could be applying a layer again over an infection brewing below? You just never know.

What I tend to do is asses the state of the nails, for example can I see any greenies? Is there a LOT of dirt in gaps beneath the nail plate and nail enhancement, are the nails sore, red, black etc- any sign of infection?

Obviously, if they are looking really suspicious, and my gut says no I ask the client to return to the innitial tech to have the unknown products removed.

If I feel ok about things, I will take them all off and either send them away with a nail oil / treatment and some good advice to repair the natural nail.. also a ticket to come back with a small discount when they are ready.

If the nail plate is fine, and the client wishes for a new set then on we go for a new set!

It is always a worry, what may be lurking underneath those alien products, but at the end of the day my bag and tools are practically swimming in Mundo disinfection products etc... and I would never like to leave a client in distress over her nail service, where ever it came from

Last edited:
I've always removed the previous nail technician's work. I want to see just what's going on with the client's overall nail health. Many times there has been a severe infection/fungus underneath once I removed the product. Once I was able to assess the health of the client's nail, then I would proceed. I have refused service based on the poor health of the client's nail. You see in the U.S., people are lawsuit happy. It wouldn't matter that I wasn't responsible for the horrible damage to the client's or not, they'd sue me in a heartbeat!

If they are shocking and cant be saved without hrs of filing then I suggest removal and fresh set.

Yes, and it's worth while keeping in mind that most of such people are looking elsewhere because no experienced tech will give them a rebalance.

For me it depends....how much growth,lifting and the general conditions the service is in.

If they are not that bad and can be saved I do as you said VHunter and reduce and do nice and fresh rebal.

But its nearly always down to time and money,if the client doesnt want to pay for a full set and you dont have time then what can you do except advise.

In the shop my boss always advises new rebal clients that have NSS nails on to get them removed and then come back for a full set.She likes the clients to see the condition of the nails before anyone in the shop works on them as more often than not they are damaged and weak and as we all know removal times for these sets can take an age.

hth xxx

ditto! :biggrin:

As I am still pretty new to it all, I explain that I can't guarantee someone elses work and as previously said, I like to see the TRUE condition of the nails.

I have had this happen twice in the last week and I explained what the options were, why and the cost. Both client chose removal and new set. On removal you could clearly see a damaged groove in a loop in the shape of the cuticle from the drill at each refill they'd had. The clients were gobsmacked and vowed never to return to the NSS they'd been going too. I didn't put down the salon or tech, it was clear to see what had happened and I would never have known if I'd just rebalanced.

Both clients contacted me about a story on NSS here in Australia on a popular current affairs program!

If they were done at NSS I would leave the product on (if it looked ok) letting it grow out with the damage the NSS would have done to the nails with it & do in fills /rebalance

Like others, it depends on the nails and what state they are in, as well as time allocated.

Latest posts

Back