Rebalance Prices ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
I was just wondering how your re-balance price differ's from your new set price ?

I have mine priced lower that a new set, by a few pounds..
But I have been reveiwing my price list as its a bit too fussy, and I'm wondering wether to just do a rebalance at the same cost as a new set.

My reasons for this are,
Basically timing and work involved,
It currently takes me approximately the same time to do a re-balance as a new set,
And if anything I think mabey there is about the same, if not more work involved.
I am thinking a rebalance is more or less the same as applying a new set isnt it ?
Still have all the prep work, then the thinning down, then the smiles...etc...the refining at the end ,,
so why do we generally price lower ?

What do you do for this ?
and what are your thoughts on pricing the same ,
I suppose clients options are only really.
A re-balance, or a removal and new set...which of course would cost more...
hmmmmm :?:

As there is at least as much work in a rebalance as a new set prices should reflect that imho. Unfortunately I started out like most techs, doing a rb quite cheaply compared to the fs price, but I've gradually been redressing this over the years, and my clients are happy to pay because of the service they receive. Also I think it helps to simplify your price list as much as possible to avoid confusion, and make it easier for joe public to understand the service that they are paying for.
hth

I agree with Sahara's post totally.

The cost of my French rebalance is rising bit by bit!

But at the moment for tip & overlay with French l&p I would take approx 1.5 - 1.75 hours. (£40) For a French rebalance I take approx 1.25 hours. (27.50 at present but set to rise again soon!! ) So I'm trying to price accordingly.

So long as your new set prices aren't too high, I don't see any problem. Nailzoo made an interesting comment a while back saying that the best way to get clients in the door is to have an attractive price for new sets. This gets them in the door and once they see how good you are, they will be happy to pay your price for a rebalance. In other words, it is not the price of a new set that gets us our dollars but the price of maintenance.

Hope that made sense x

At the moment I'm priced at £33 for a full set and £20 for a 2 week rebalance..... When I put my prices up probably early 2008 I'm going to £35 f/s and £25 r/b...... But should I leave my f/s price where it is and let my r/b price catch up?? R/b-ing is the bulk of my business - that's where the biggest win financially is to me...... Good idea Ems, I need to think a bit more!!

Im lovin this thread because r/b's have been causing me a bit of financial brain ache and I am glad I am not the only one!

Its interesting to hear geeks say they are putting their r/b prices up to nearly the cost of a full set because that is what we should all do really, to ensure the price of r/b is expected to be in the £30's rather than at the moment most folks charge at the lower end of the £20's. As an industry standard the r/b price should be £30 I think.
I have always said that I find it very surprising that ANYONE can make money from charging £20ish for more than 1 hours work. I am still taking 1.5 hours and I'm still only charging £22!

HOWEVER.............and its a big however I dont think the nail market in this country will pay £30 every 2 weeks for maintenance. I understand that people will pay that for hair maintenance but I just dont think we can encourage brand new clients into the enhancement market at this time with this price.

I would like to believe I am wrong, please someone convince me.:lol:

Well,
I dont think it would be £30 every fortnight though, as generally most clients only need an infil after 2 weeks....then a re-balance every 3/4 weeks.

My full set at the moment is £27.50
but I am charging £25 as an introductory incentive,
My infils are £17.00
And I have a rebalance marked at £24.00

As an infill for me is generally just a quick thin out, then prep, and re-applying zone 3, then a quick buff to finish,,
whereas the re-balance tends to take much more work and time than this,
As clients tend to leave it that extra few weeks there is more prep work to be done, then the smiles blah blah blah....

I know my prices seem low, but trust me I am average for where I live,
Lower than some, Higher than some,
xxxx

That is a good point, I rebalance at each appointment (every 2-3 weeks) which takes me 1.5hours. My prices are £35 f/s, £20 r/b after 2 wks, £25 r/b after 3 wks. Then I charge £4 for breakages on top of that although first one is free.
It means the clients monthly expenditure with me is around £40 (if they cant go 3 weeks), and for this they get 3 hours work minimum. This brings my hourly rate for those clients down to £13 or something daft hence the reason that I have been having financial brain ache about how to make rebalances make money!! Even if I managed the appointments in 1 hour, it would still only mean my rate was £20 per hour and after overheads and product costs into the equation - things dont look good!!

Natural nail care..............now that is a different baby, and a far more profitable one in my view!!

I charge £20 for a re-balance (re-balancing the shape, shortening, infilling with product in the gap), this usually only takes around 40/45 minutes if there are no breakages, it is the French re-balance which takes the time lol!!

You are right Emmsy to think carefully before creating your price structure. And it is certainly easy to confuse people so the simpler the better really. Are you doing glitter acrylics as well btw lol?

This is probably a stupid question but why does French take more time? If you are applying a colour do you still not sculpt in 3 zones? Where do you save time? What is the most popular colour with clients?
I only ever do French - might have to persuade my clients otherwise if its saves time.

Well a french full set takes more time than a one colour full set because you have to sculpt the french and perfect that smile line. If you're rebalancing a french, you have to file down that white as well as the apex and zone 3, and reapply, whereas if you rebalance a one colour enhancement, you only need to thin out the enhancement around the apex and zone 3, so it's quicker.

We charge £60 for french and £45 for the rebalance. :)

Ah I see. So do you start with the re-positioning of the apex in zone 2 or do you start in zone 3?

Whats the most popular colour you geeks do for a one colour job? the reason I ask is because doesnt zone 3 look 'old' very quickly if its a dark red for example? - you would see growth straight away wouldnt you?

:hug:
I always charge the same price for full set and Rebalance!!

Sincerely
Janet

As there is at least as much work in a rebalance as a new set prices should reflect that imho. Unfortunately I started out like most techs, doing a rb quite cheaply compared to the fs price, but I've gradually been redressing this over the years, and my clients are happy to pay because of the service they receive. Also I think it helps to simplify your price list as much as possible to avoid confusion, and make it easier for joe public to understand the service that they are paying for.
hth
I'm trying to redress this at the moment. WhenI first started out I took over for another tech and made the big mistake of keeping her prices. It took me quite a few years to realise how silly the prices were, now I'm leaving my full set prices where they are and continually putting up maintenance prices until they compare better.

This is turning out to be a really thought provoking thread thankyou everybody.

I have realised now, that when I was charging £15 a full set, I had lots of clients...clients who didn't respect the work I had done, (bearing in mind these sets were taking me up to 3 hours at the time)

These clients came back regulary for a new set,
Whereas now I understand, the full sets are usually one off's or a "start off set"
It is the rebalance's infills and breakages, that I am seeing more off.
this is fantasic news, don't you just love it when things click into place :lol:

Well I think I have come to the conclusion that I am going to price my re-balance at the same price as a full set,
It will still work out better value for the client and more profitable for me,
As well as being better for the clients natural nails.

At the moment for me and client it would be .....

Removal + New set
client cost (with current discounts) = £30 (without discounts £32.50)
Work for me @ approx 2 and a half hours for £30 (£32.50)

Rebalance
Client cost (with current special offer) = £25 (without offer £27.50)
Work for me @ approx 1 and a half hour = £25 (£27.50)

I only ever do re balances as well, and when I started out I stupidly followed the trend of setting by re balance price ridiculously low, AFTER listening to friend and family that had their nails done at my local salon,they charged £17.00 (still do!) and I was told this was a bit dear every 2 weeks !! so I went cheaper ..... arhh silly me

its the one thing I really regret when starting out, I have since made 3 price increases the last being this summer I didn't put my F/S price up this time as I now want my re balance price to 'catch up' a little, I always worry about putting my prices up,and feel I have to explain my self lol, but many clients told me they didn't mind and I haven't lost any, I will put them up again next year as I still don't feel I'm getting what I'm worth when It comes to re balances, but didn't want to make a huge jump up in price in one go.

Emma start as you mean to go on, I made the mistake of going in to cheap, great for getting practice etc but its long term clients you what to attract x

Ems this is a great thread.:hug:

Having just moved into my little treatment room I've been thinking about all my prices too, and thanks to you have decided to go for a much more realistic set of prices.

Latest posts

Back