rebalance problems........

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola67

Reaction score
I have never been that confident at rebalances, but obviously have to tackle the issue as that is what most of my business is.......

The way I have done it before is to file all the product away to virtually nothing and then re-apply as if I were starting all over again. Obviously this is taking a very long time. :eek: Having done a search on here and read up in my nail class book I have started doing as geeg suggests but am not too sure if I have understood it properly. I seem to be ending up with patchy white tips rather than a clean finish.

The way I have been doing it recently is:
File just enough of the product away that I am going to put on, and leaving the tip as thin as I want it to be when finished.
Place Z1 bead in the centre but nearer where the new smile will be, and pat over to each side, then pull the excess forward to the free edge so that the very end is still quite thin.

When I've finished and start to file the white seems go patchy and I end up having to put more white on..... I've tried putting a bigger bead on but then the tip ends up to bulky and I'm filing like a loony to thin it down again.

I don't know whether I've mis understood the tutorials or whether I am doing something wrong.

If you've got any advice that would be great, thanks
Linds xx

i find that because the white needs to go on thinner than when doing a full set of forever french, working with the product drier works best. you have to work quite fast with the product but it helped me with my problem of the whites going patchy when filing rebalances. hth

Yep, sounds like a wet white problem to me too!!

Thanks for replies, I'll give that a go tommorrow.....
I did wonder whether I was working with it too thin and thus buffing off when I come to finish?? But I literally do a really light buff with a 240 then white block it etc. And I have put Z2&3 pink over by that point...... so surely to buff the white off I'm having to go through the pink which I'm pretty sure I'm not doing that........ what do you reckon?
xx

i refuse to do rebalances. i think in the same time have a soak off n a fresh set. get some new acrylic on the nail, looks fresher thinner, you lose that double ended lines from a rebalance and besides its more hygenic and you can monitor what the nail is doing underneath and get a manciure in before you full set to rebalance the oil in the skin a bit more. I do may coloured tips so rebalances are out for me as my customers have to change their tip to keep up with the times lol. i tell my customers i dont do it and why and they all agree fresh is better than second hand nails which rebalances are really!!!
Gemma

i refuse to do rebalances. i think in the same time have a soak off n a fresh set. get some new acrylic on the nail, looks fresher thinner, you lose that double ended lines from a rebalance and besides its more hygenic and you can monitor what the nail is doing underneath and get a manciure in before you full set to rebalance the oil in the skin a bit more. I do may coloured tips so rebalances are out for me as my customers have to change their tip to keep up with the times lol. i tell my customers i dont do it and why and they all agree fresh is better than second hand nails which rebalances are really!!!
Gemma

I disagree with your post. A rebalance is actually pretty skilled so yes of course it's easier to soak off and re-apply, much less skill involved. If you're using a good product and using it property it won't yellow. If you remove and rebalance the nail properly then the acrylic won't build up. What is double ended lines?? :confused:

I can do a natural rebalance in 45 mins (£20) and a French re-balance in about 1hr 10m (£27.50). And they look beautiful.

I don't see how you can really justify charging a client for a soak off and a new set instead of rebalancing. This would cost (my prices) £12 for the soak off and £40 for the new set, and time-wise you're looking at 30-40 mins followed by about 1hr 15/30 for the new set. Sorry but it sounds like a rip off to me and a cop out for not having the skills and I know a lot of clients that would agree with me.

I disagree with your post. A rebalance is actually pretty skilled so yes of course it's easier to soak off and re-apply, much less skill involved. If you're using a good product and using it property it won't yellow. If you remove and rebalance the nail properly then the acrylic won't build up. What is double ended lines?? :confused:

I can do a natural rebalance in 45 mins (£20) and a French re-balance in about 1hr 10m (£27.50). And they look beautiful.

I don't see how you can really justify charging a client for a soak off and a new set instead of rebalancing. This would cost (my prices) £12 for the soak off and £40 for the new set, and time-wise you're looking at 30-40 mins followed by about 1hr 15/30 for the new set. Sorry but it sounds like a rip off to me and a cop out for not having the skills and I know a lot of clients that would agree with me.

Ditto Blossom!

I personally think your clients are being ripped off BohemianBeauty! Where did you train? Did they not teach re-balances?! :irked::irked::eek: Shocking.

Gemma

Each to their own i guess.. I have some girls who want fresh tips everytime.. and i charge them for soak off + full set.. some want rebalance.. bieng able to provide both is extremeley rewarding as a tech and i dont think you should refuse to do anything if its in your power to do so.. for many techs Rebalancing is their bread and butter..

In the early days when i was less confident in my ability to rebalance properly i had a similar mind set to you.. I have since broadened myself.. and have gone on to learn how to sculpt.. rebalance properly.. I assume you mean the line when you say double ended lines.. well there is a simply way to overcome that.. chasing the line was hell for me..

Dont confine yourself to tip overlay.. seriously.. there is so much to learn and do.. yea its hard work and practise.. but if you want to be proffesional.. you cannot be without being able to provide any and every service IMO!

Refusing and then talking your clients into your mind set shows me that you could talk them into anything.. which is a good tol as a tech.. :).. but more often then not the client see's tip overlay as fake nails.. and will come only on occasion.. whereas a rebalance gives them the feeling of an enhancement.. and will pay for the upkeep!
:green:

I have never been that confident at rebalances, but obviously have to tackle the issue as that is what most of my business is.......

The way I have done it before is to file all the product away to virtually nothing and then re-apply as if I were starting all over again. Obviously this is taking a very long time. :eek: Having done a search on here and read up in my nail class book I have started doing as geeg suggests but am not too sure if I have understood it properly. I seem to be ending up with patchy white tips rather than a clean finish.

File just enough of the product away that I am going to put on, and leaving the tip as thin as I want it to be when finished.
Place Z1 bead in the centre but nearer where the new smile will be, and pat over to each side, then pull the excess forward to the free edge so that the very end is still quite thin.

When I've finished and start to file the white seems go patchy and I end up having to put more white on..... I've tried putting a bigger bead on but then the tip ends up to bulky and I'm filing like a loony to thin it down again.

I don't know whether I've mis understood the tutorials or whether I am doing something wrong.

Linds xx

I've had similar problem with rebalances, I ended up filing away the new smile line I had just produced. Its really a fine line between filing the same amount of product away as what you intend to replace on the nail. Tonite I came really close. My client didn't notice (she in fact finds my perfectionism comical) but I know my new smile line wasn't as dense and perfect as the existing white from the previous set. Guess I need to remove a touch more next time.:rolleyes:

This is what is so rewarding about nails. You're always striving for better. My smile lines were definatly better this time:lol:

Linds xx

I've had similar problem with rebalances, I ended up filing away the new smile line I had just produced. Its really a fine line between filing the same amount of product away as what you intend to replace on the nail. Tonite I came really close. My client didn't notice (she in fact finds my perfectionism comical) but I know my new smile line wasn't as dense and perfect as the existing white from the previous set. Guess I need to remove a touch more next time.:rolleyes: And work drier!

This is what is so rewarding about nails. You're always striving for better. My smile lines were definatly better this time:lol:

I have started to just file off only what is need and i find this is workin better for me , what i have discovered though that a couple of my clients who have been coming to me for a few months now and on there 5th maybe 6th visit (as only been qualified since april) there pinks look quite dirty and very transparent .
I use creative pink , would it solve the problem if i started to use a darker pink maybe intense pink.??????

I have started to just file off only what is need and i find this is workin better for me , what i have discovered though that a couple of my clients who have been coming to me for a few months now and on there 5th maybe 6th visit (as only been qualified since april) there pinks look quite dirty and very transparent .
I use creative pink , would it solve the problem if i started to use a darker pink maybe intense pink.??????

I dont think its the powder i think you might just need to take a bit more acrylic off when you are doing a rebalance and scrubfresh just that bit more all over the nail and this should get rid of any muck that is on the acrylic!

I used to have that prob with one of my clients so i done the above and they look like a new set every time now! xx

a dryer consistency will give a more dense color. I actually take off all the white and reapply.... each to their own, soaking off everytime does seem a bit drastic.

Gemma

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I would think that you would earn more doing rebalances as it requires much less product, and takes less time. And do you do soak offs every 2 weeks?:eek: This could be very drying.
And "more hygienic"?? How is it more hygienic?? If you remove lift completely and properly, then there is nothing to worry about. If you're using clear acrylic, then you should be able to see what's "going on underneath". Even if you're not using clear, if you've removed all lift, then there is nothing "to monitor underneath". If you've dusted, dehydrated/cleansed as appropriate..... use sanitized/disinfected implements, etc....

This sounds more to me like a case of inexperience and lack of faith in your own skills. Those are the only real reasons to soak off every single time and start from scratch. (except in the case of some brands of dips/gel-resines, that do no stand the test of time)

All my clients are NNO's or forever french's. ALL of them. And NONE of them have had to soak-off/buff-off ever, except in the case of a badly broken nail that needed to be redone. NONE of them have ever had any infections or etc.

This is poor advice to offer. And very limiting to someone who wants to offer full service.

Better to hone one's skills and be able to meet ALL the needs of their clients.

A rebalance looks as 'fresh' as a new set WHEN DONE PROPERLY.

I wouldn't be happy putting my skin or anyone elses skin in ANY chemical for 30 minutes at a time on a regular basis, bearing in mind the skin absorbs very effectively!! Why not keep the risks to a minimum? - just as we should avoid over-exposure with all of the chemicals we use.

Hi Lola67,

I used to do the same thing too but I found that if I removed more from zone 1 - tbh, most of the white, I did not suffer the same problem. It used to be so annoying when you've spent ages and file a chunk out of the smile:irked:.

As far as not offering rebalances at all as the other geek says is silly - 95% of all my biz are rebalances whether they are pink & white or coloured or glitter tips. There should be no reason to soak off and redo a set if the set your soaking off are in perfect condition, that's just wasting time, product etc. You'd probably be able to do 2 rebalances in the time it takes you to soak & do a new set.
Perhaps, if your sets need replacing every 2 weeks then you should consider some more training to include rebalances, you will find them much quicker & the client will be more happy not to have to undergo soaking her skin in a very drying chemical.
A good rebalance should look just like a new set if performed correctly.

If you are just using coloured plastic tips and overlaying with clear, then you ought to look into extra training as you'll be far more flexible for your clients too.

Latest posts

Back