rebalance question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirsty Dalton

Reaction score
HI people

just a quick question iam having trouble with my rebalances, i have read geegs tutorial which has helped a lot but iam just wondering when i take down the length in the first instance, i then have to thin the enhancement back down, how should i be doing that? by holding the file on top of the nail and filing towards me to file the free edge or on top of the nail and file across the way? hope that makes sense? also while iam at it i take it from the tutorial i am doing way to much filing as i am filing down the whole enhancement, what i should be doing is the new smile line area and then just any lifting that has occured is that right? i shouldnt really need to touch the sides except for a wee light going over???

forgot to add this in my last thread, should i need to use a form when iam rebalancing??? iam all confused lol

The only time you should need to use a form when rebalancing is when you are trying to add length back to the nail. BUT, you shouldn't need to do this, as you should only take off as much length as is DESIRED by the client. Don't just remove the whole thing and re-apply everytime- it will be SUPER time consuming!!

I want you to go try this exercise- go boil a few eggs, then color them dark with a crayon. Then go file the crayon off with a 180 grit abrasive. Hold the egg up and look at it much like you would look down the barrel of a nail. You should be using long, rounded strokes with firm pressure. This is how you file a nail for rebalancing and finishing... :)

HTH...

Thankyou very much for your reply i think i will try that

I want you to go try this exercise- go boil a few eggs, then color them dark with a crayon. Then go file the crayon off with a 180 grit abrasive. Hold the egg up and look at it much like you would look down the barrel of a nail. You should be using long, rounded strokes with firm pressure. This is how you file a nail for rebalancing and finishing... :)

HTH...

What a great tip!. I have done the colour in a nail tip and file. But your one is really good for getting the rounding technique when filing. I must remember to boil egg first :o, lol.

HTH...

I have often done this trick with students........except the eggs would not be hard boiled!!....they would only colour in half the egg and I would give them 60 seconds to pick an appropriate abrasive and file off !!!

It was a great icebreaker in class....it solved a lot of overfiling problems and made them think how delicate a nail plate was......OH and the winner usually got a great prize!!

Only 1 student in 3 years ever splattered egg over her table....and that was because she held it too tightly in the final 10 second countdown...hilarious!!

We did this technique at the Roadshow last year, Team Creative wore straw cowboy hats and played "Cotton Eye Joe" in the background lol. I think the winner got lots of product.. ;)

Latest posts

Back