Rebalancing Problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatalieJ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I did my first whole set rebalance last night since my training and I was really disheartened. I did the set just over two weeks ago, I was pleased with how they had lasted but they needed sorting out as the nails had grown a lot and a couple of them had a bit of lifting in zone 3 which I needed to sort out.

After reading the bit on rebalancing in Nailclass I was really looking forward to having a go!

Anyway as I was filing there was quite a bit of 'pinging' of the product going on in Zone 3 and a few nails had to have new product in Zone 2 as well as 3. When I finished, on a couple of nails, I could see the old product underneath the new product I had put on. Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong?

My rebalanced set did not look as good as my new set :cry: As this was my first full rebalance I shouldn't be too upset cause I need to practise loads more but just wondered if anyone could help me?

Thanks in advance :hug:

could be a number of things ther hun. Did u file the old product off down to bear nail tip before applying the new acrylic? Or could be the old love triangle of ratio with your product if your getting shaddowing? One thing ive learnt is to really anaylise each step from prep to finishing techniques.

Thanks for replying - No I didn't file it all the old product off, just the bits that had lifted in zone 3 (and zone 2 on a couple). It could have been how I applyed the product, it did seem to go on a bit funny, maybe it was too cold?

Many technicians cause even more lifting during preparation because of filing in the wrong area. This is discussed at length in 'Nailclass'.

The main thing you need to do is to concentrate on not getting any lifting in the first place. Its a pain, it's a bore, and it's hard work. You don't want any!!

You are new to nails. don't expect too much too soon. Get your basic techniques down so well that you don't have the problems in the first place.

NatalieJ said:
Thanks for replying - No I didn't file it all the old product off, just the bits that had lifted in zone 3 (and zone 2 on a couple). It could have been how I applyed the product, it did seem to go on a bit funny, maybe it was too cold?

I never file ALL the product off during a rebalance only what needs to be filed re lifting (which I hardly ever get) or thinning zone 1 for a french rebalance and zone 2 when repositioning the apex. You need to make sure that you DO NOT file on any lifted product or you will chase the lifting right down the nail. File on the part that is NOT lifting but right near the lifted part.... eventually you will see small holes appear at the join where the lifted product is coming away from the product that is still well adhered, when you have managed to remove all the lifted part and put new product on, there should not be a visible line at all and the rebalance should look as good as the initial set did. Hope this makes sense hun.

nailsbydesign said:
I never file ALL the product off during a rebalance only what needs to be filed re lifting (which I hardly ever get) or thinning zone 1 for a french rebalance and zone 2 when repositioning the apex. You need to make sure that you DO NOT file on any lifted product or you will chase the lifting right down the nail. File on the part that is NOT lifting but right near the lifted part.... eventually you will see small holes appear at the join where the lifted product is coming away from the product that is still well adhered, when you have managed to remove all the lifted part and put new product on, there should not be a visible line at all and the rebalance should look as good as the initial set did. Hope this makes sense hun.

well explained!

Thanks Gigi,

So I could have caused more lifting by filing the nails wrong? I think thats what must have happened, ill read it over again in Nailclass.

Would you be able to tell me why the old product was visible underneath when I finished? Is it to do with my application of the new product being incorrect? Just need to know if its something obvious I am doing wrong!

NatalieJ said:
Thanks Gigi,

So I could have caused more lifting by filing the nails wrong? I think thats what must have happened, ill read it over again in Nailclass.

Would you be able to tell me why the old product was visible underneath when I finished? Is it to do with my application of the new product being incorrect? Just need to know if its something obvious I am doing wrong!

If you have visible lines beneath the product, it is because you didn't remove all the lifting .. even if you thought you had. They will appear opaque and start roughly where the old product ends.

I doubt it is your mix ratio ... this would not produce the difference I think you are seeing.

As I say, concentrate on pressing that product firmly onto the well prepared and dry nail surface and the lifting should cease.

We've all been where you are, dear. It's happened to all of us. Let it grow out, or soak off and start again sometime. You need as much rebalancing practice as you can get, as doing this well can make or break a nail technician's business.

nailsbydesign said:

Hi, thanks for that! Yes I was filing just above the lifting to get it to 'ping' off! As Marco taught us on the foundation course! I can still hear him saying it ha ha! But maybe I was doing it slighty wrong :irked: .

I know there shouldn't be a visible line underneath from the old product thats why I was confused and wondered what id done, I wasn't happy with the result :cry:

Im sure it'll be better next time!

geeg said:
If you have visible lines beneath the product, it is because you didn't remove all the lifting .. even if you thought you had. They will appear opaque and start roughly where the old product ends.

I doubt it is your mix ratio ... this would not produce the difference I think you are seeing.

As I say, concentrate on pressing that product firmly onto the well prepared and dry nail surface and the lifting should cease.

We've all been where you are, dear. It's happened to all of us. Let it grow out, or soak off and start again sometime. You need as much rebalancing practice as you can get, as doing this well can make or break a nail technician's business.

Thanks a lot for the help, ive got some more sets to do soon so ill get some practice in!

Latest posts

Back