Recent Scratch Covers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacqueline

Reaction score
Bit random here, but does anyone else think the last couple of covers have been really dull and uninspiring? I was just thinking this recently and then funnily enough there was an article in it this months issue discussing best covers last year which prompted me to ask the pros what they thought.

I would completely agree with you.

Same here! I was packing through my books and mags just today and noticed most wear red (i love red but would like to see more going on)
it should be a sauce of inspiration to us!,
at the same time though it must be such an honer to the techs who get to do the covers,
I know that now seems to be the new time for natral nails and it seems they are trying to reflec that.

Yes definatly, you want to see the wow factor on the cover, I especialy didnt like the shell ones a couple months back, they looked like long discoloured finger nails, I wasnt sure what they were at first, but when I red they were made out of shell, I breathed a sight of relief as they were just hideouse! x

Yes definatly, you want to see the wow factor on the cover, I especialy didnt like the shell ones a couple months back, they looked like long discoloured finger nails, I wasnt sure what they were at first, but when I red they were made out of shell, I breathed a sight of relief as they were just hideouse! x
I actually couldn't believe my eyes on that one. Couldn't fathom what they were apart from grotesque ... In my opinion, if I am allowed to have one. Seems some think I'm not lol.

I actually couldn't believe my eyes on that one. Couldn't fathom what they were apart from grotesque ... In my opinion, if I am allowed to have one. Seems some think I'm not lol.

If this wear facebook I would be clicking LIKE to this comment lol
they wear odd !
I thought at the time .... thats not going to catch on with salon clients!

Ok, please don't shoot the student here but....

I subscribed to Scratch hoping to find inspiring pictures, tutorials and so on.

I have read some amazing articles in there since I started my subscription and have found some really useful info but I must say that a lot of the pictures and the covers I have seen ( only had 3 issues so far ) have been so lacking in inspiration.

I know that after seeing pics from some of the geeks here and from Geeg's book cover etc that we may expect high standards but I find that a lot of the advert pics have got so many flaws it is unreal. Wonky sidewalls, uneven apexes, poor polish jobs and a lot of the m are so computerised it is unreal :(

I love reading the articles but I am really disappointed with the pictures and the nails in there to be honest - I anted something that would inspire me to create a set " just like those " - come on, we all wish we could knock out a set like Geeg's solar oil poster - but have yet to find some :(

What would be really useful would be to be inspired by something relevant to OUR industry and to what we actually DO or that would please and excite our clients.

Nail art that takes hours to do and that no one will pay for, and outrageously ugly styles that no one in their right mind would want to wear (thinking bubble nails and ducks feet) are showcased far too often IMHO.

I got my first copy just the other day, but Ive seen inside the top 5 covers section and other covers in various places online, and from a design perspective I must say that the focus tends to be placed more on the dressing around the subject. The models make up, jewelery and other bits seem to jump out more if any one can see what I mean?

Its great to dress and image and I think its a fab job, the images are beautiful -but the nails do need to be more of a focus to balance the covers out, and not drown out what the whole subject actualy is- nails. I am guessing that the big thing at the moment is uv gel, shellac etc hence why this is on the cover at this time?

I do love this mag already, its a fab resource.. I feel terrible for whinging on now haha best get back to my cuppa I think :D

Ok, please don't shoot the student here but....

I subscribed to Scratch hoping to find inspiring pictures, tutorials and so on.

I have read some amazing articles in there since I started my subscription and have found some really useful info but I must say that a lot of the pictures and the covers I have seen ( only had 3 issues so far ) have been so lacking in inspiration.

I know that after seeing pics from some of the geeks here and from Geeg's book cover etc that we may expect high standards but I find that a lot of the advert pics have got so many flaws it is unreal. Wonky sidewalls, uneven apexes, poor polish jobs and a lot of the m are so computerised it is unreal :(

I love reading the articles but I am really disappointed with the pictures and the nails in there to be honest - I anted something that would inspire me to create a set " just like those " - come on, we all wish we could knock out a set like Geeg's solar oil poster - but have yet to find some :(

You know what you are so right,,I was looking at October's issue..now if you go to page 83 and look at those nails..it's holy shocking lol
A 5 year old could have done better :eek:

Hi guys, I like scratch but I must agree, especially with the focus on the dressing around things. I show Mum sometimes and say "What is this an advert for?" (answer:) "Hairdye?" "no. Nails."

I also read it in the salon with my aunt and she always points out wonky whites and poor polish saying I can do them better (which I must admit, I can!).

I understand that things can't all be computerised (like much of it is) to be perfect, but like you guys I'm sure, I try and actually do it perfectly! These photos should be of work by the best of the best, truly focusing on our core interest (nails) and include a variety of shapes, styles, methods, colours etc.

That wasn't a rant, more a fingerpointing suggestion.xxx

Latest posts

Back