Reclaiming losses through therapists wages

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rach12

Reaction score
Evening all,

Well, I've now calmed down enough to write about this without a string of profanities.... today my therapist made a huge error, which alone I would have maybe less angry about, but this is just one in a strong of errors, but that's another story.... But I need some help with todays issues.

My therapist had a walk in retail sale of £110- great news! Except she charged the woman £1.10 on the credit card machine! We've no details of the customer so I can't contact her, and I can't just charge the rest to the credit card, so I've lost £108.90! Does anyone know, am I allowed to reclaim this loss from her wages? I can't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to, but wondered if anyone had been through this themselves and knew more from a legal point of view?

Cheers,

Well there are certain laws to taken a deduction from an employees wages

Ie

Income tax, ni, pensions, court ordered attachment of earnings and so forth

Any other earnings could be say the result of a disciplinary and so you would have to go through a correct procedure and this itself could be time consuming and costly (was she trained to use the machine? It could come into question) x

Money can be taken if its written in a contract of employment

Or the employee consents to the deduction

I know it's not just a few quid but I don't suppose she did this on purpose and hasn't benefitted in anyway and probably feels stupid.

Id question is it worth taking the chance and losing a good therapist for the sale of a hundred pound? Maybe you could meet her half way and pay £50 odd each?

As a salon owner (I only presume) you have more disposable income than your employee and maybe a bit of understanding once you have calmed down would do you all better than having her pay for her mistakes with her wages :-(

Thus just my opinion and I really hope u sort it out x

Hi.
Not sure if this is right or not but we were told by a very reliable person (works for an accountant)that you can put the card through the machine again for the outstanding amount within 24 hours of the original purchase.
The client knows the product isnt going to be the price shes been charged so if she did kick off about you putting her card through again,you could get a free half hour with a solicitor and ask their advice.
You could ring the bank and ask them to contact her via her account details.We had a staff member that took a hair extension payment for £550 on a cheque without a guarantee card once and it obviously bounced all the way back!
We contacted the bank and they fowarded a letter on our behlaf plus the letter from them to let her know it would bounce.
Eventually we had to threaten legal action but finally got the payment.
But in your case the client knew how much the bill should have been.
Do you not have any info on her at all?
Could you not do a bit of directory/online digging ?
Hope you get it sorted out
Ring acas or fsb if your a member,and they will be able to help you.
x

I would just take the payment for the remainder through the pdq machine. It's money for the original transaction not extras so it will be fine.

Xx

Surely you have this client's details on her consultation card? I would contact her and explain that you need her to make the payment for the balance. I am sure she just didn't notice. Some of us can't see the machines properly without glasses on etc so it is not necessarily that she has tried to get away with it. :green:

How do u put thru again without card?

There should be a customer not present option through one of the menus xx

There should be a customer not present option through one of the menus xx

But without the info from the card, you can't do a customer not present transaction.
I don't know if it's the same for all card providers but I need the long card number, expiry, CCV plus house number & post code.

As the customer in question was a walk in I very much doubt this info will be available.

The OP could try contacting the bank to see what they say about recovering relevent info.

As for the therapist, I think I would be giving them a written warning for this!
As far as I am aware, you can't take the money out of their wages, certainly not without their consent.

Oh, and 1 final thing, I wouldn't assume that a salon owner has more disposable income than the employee!!

We don't have any details as it was just a walk in purchase, not a client, who uses our brand and knew what she wanted. I think I'm going to phone my card company in the morning and see what they say I can do. What a bloody headache from a silly mistake!

I believe the Op said it was a "walk in" retail purchase and therefore can only assume that the OP does not have client details. To do a credit/debit card transaction without the purchaser being present you would need to have the card number, security code from back of card and address/post code details. If there are no contact details then the only possibility of getting the purchaser to pay would be to contact the machine supplier and see whether they can do anything to contact the purchaser, however I expect this is unlikely.

Haha well said Blue Rose, I always have to take a deep breath when I pay my therapists who are still all earning more than me at the moment!

We don't have any details as it was just a walk in purchase, not a client, who uses our brand and knew what she wanted. I think I'm going to phone my card company in the morning and see what they say I can do. What a bloody headache from a silly mistake!

sorry Rach12......you typed faster than me and I have just repeated what you were saying!

Ha, seems the 3 of us were typing at the same time :)

No worries ReVive, I think you're right and there'll be little that can be done to get the money from the client.

The therapist will be getting a warning for this as only two weeks ago she gave a treatment for free thinking the client was on a course when the computer clearly showed she wasn't. Luckily I will get that back as its a regular client, but two mess ups at the salons financial expense is just not on! I am going to check legally, but think I am going to make part of her waning that she pays back the cost of the products at the very least so not out of pocket!least

yes, apologies to you too.......I repeated pretty much what you were saying also!

But without the info from the card, you can't do a customer not present transaction.
I don't know if it's the same for all card providers but I need the long card number, expiry, CCV plus house number & post code.

As the customer in question was a walk in I very much doubt this info will be available.

The OP could try contacting the bank to see what they say about recovering relevent info.

As for the therapist, I think I would be giving them a written warning for this!
As far as I am aware, you can't take the money out of their wages, certainly not without their consent.

Oh, and 1 final thing, I wouldn't assume that a salon owner has more disposable income than the employee!!

I didn't assume! I said "I only presume" !!

when i have a sale that is put through the visa terminal i get a print out as does the client . all the details are on the receipt you get i think, would that not work.

It is possible to do without postcode etc. When prompted you just keep skipping through. I have worked in a bar where we did this a lot, when they hadn't been charged correctly.

when i have a sale that is put through the visa terminal i get a print out as does the client . all the details are on the receipt you get i think, would that not work.

The purchasers card number is on the merchants copy of the transaction but you would still need the security code on the reverse of the card, together with address details to process a "cardholder" not present transaction.

Latest posts

Back