recommendation for flaky scalp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exquisite Touch

Reaction score
Hiya
I have a very flaky itchy scalp with large white flakes which are quite noticable to me anyway
Ive been checked for psorasis and thats a no no, Ive checked for Nits so ive ruled that out too
what would you recommend to combat the problem, anti dandruff does nothing (but now know from reading posts that dandruff is yellow not white)
A recommendation of a good quality shampoo and conditioner would be fab im willing to toddle off to salon to purchase them as this is driving me crazy
Ive had a hysterectomy and since this my hair is very greasy not sure if its down to hrt or not.
Its not good when you got a client in and you want to scratch your head off but have to resist
Thanks in advance for any recommendations
Debbie x

Hi there. I feel for you. both my boys have the same thing and this is what we have learned from treating them:

Itchy scalp= something in your shampoo/conditioner that is irritating. Try a Aloe Vera based shampoo. LOMA is a wonderful one.
Nioxin is another great line. Nioxin is made especially for the Scalp.It has Aloe in it and is for maintaining a healthy scalp environment. It will correct the problem, not mask it.
Omega 3's are wonderful for skin and scalp.
Have you tried a hotoil treatment? I would only do this as a last resort because you stated you have oily hair. There is a thread on here about that. ;)
Those are my recommendations.

Are these flakes peelable ? If you wanted you could actually peel them off your scalp like when you've had sunburn ?

This is what I have & the doctor diagnosied it as Seborrohic Dermatitius, obviously im not a doctor but maybe if you go back to them they will confirm if it is/isn't.

I have a oil that I apply to my scalp once a week & it clears it up, but its not a treatment as such if I stop using it then the flakes reappear.

i suffered with this too a while back and it turned out it was the shampoo i was using, you know the one - "Professional, Affordable". Enough said!

Hiya
I have a very flaky itchy scalp with large white flakes which are quite noticable to me anyway
Ive been checked for psorasis and thats a no no, Ive checked for Nits so ive ruled that out too
what would you recommend to combat the problem, anti dandruff does nothing (but now know from reading posts that dandruff is yellow not white)
A recommendation of a good quality shampoo and conditioner would be fab im willing to toddle off to salon to purchase them as this is driving me crazy
Ive had a hysterectomy and since this my hair is very greasy not sure if its down to hrt or not.
Its not good when you got a client in and you want to scratch your head off but have to resist
Thanks in advance for any recommendations
Debbie x

I too had this and I Doctor suggest I tried Nizoral - it works and is relatively cheap. Cheaper to buy than get on prescription.

As JD pointed out, if the flakes are from irritation - you want to rule out that a product (or products) you are using are not the underlying cause. Many shampoos can be very dehydrating (especially OTC dandruff poos). You may want to seek out a sulfate free shampoo (there are loads now) and the Aloe suggestion is a great one (Eufora poos and conditioners are 75% - 85% Aloe). However it could also be fragrance that is causing the problem (fragrance is the most common cosmetic irritant) so look for something that contains no artificial fragrances. Saying that, it could even be irritation from pure essential oils (which are usually used when poos are formulated without artificial fragrances).

In the end, you need to work on ruling stuff out to determine what is best for you. Start with your hair professional and work to identify which products either sort it out for you or make a marked difference.

In the end, it may be eczema, a scalp condition, irritation or a byproduct of an alien abduction. A little work with your pro will help you to no end!

In the end, it may be eczema, a scalp condition, irritation or a byproduct of an alien abduction. A little work with your pro will help you to no end!
My husband suffers with ezcema on his scalp... he has to use a prescribed scalp lotion to keep it under control.
Your doctor or pharmacist can advise you as well as speaking to your hairdresser.

Well I have to really thank Samuel here because I suffer from an itchy scalp, sometimes it's so bad that I could make my scalp bleed from scratching it so much. Sam suggested to me that it could be eczema, it hadn't even occurred to me that that could be the problem, even though I am an eczema sufferer. So i applied some of my hydrocortisone cream that I am prescribed on my scalp and the difference is unreal, still a little itching, but nothing like the torture I have suffered til now. So a big mega thank you Sam :hug: .

I do however think it is hair colourants that set it off in the first place, and then it becomes an itch scratch itch cycle. Are there any hair colourants that I could look out for that are less irritating? ... BTW I'm a good girl and have my hair coloured in salon btw so not looking for OTC advice, just maybe seek out a salon that uses a brand that won't give me the heebie jeebies but will cover the greys that are starting to come through. :lol:

you guys are amazing
the support and advice this site gives is fabulous !!!!!
Ive made an appointment with my hairdresser to discuss my itchy coo situtation in the meantime ive purchased me some nioxin cleanser and scalp treatment and fed the supermarket silicone to the dustbin
i must say after one wash with the nioxin im not itching half as much
thank you again for all your help
Debbie x

That is fantastic Debbie. Let us know how it goes.

I do however think it is hair colourants that set it off in the first place, and then it becomes an itch scratch itch cycle. Are there any hair colorants that I could look out for that are less irritating? ... BTW I'm a good girl and have my hair coloured in salon btw so not looking for OTC advice, just maybe seek out a salon that uses a brand that won't give me the heebie jeebies but will cover the greys that are starting to come through. :lol:

Sassy..good on you for not going OTC..:D I did come across a advertisement for a pure organic color. It is called Organic color system. I do believe that it started over in Europe. It just came over here. It is a no ammonia coloring system but permanent coloring.
hth's

Sassy..good on you for not going OTC..:D I did come across a advertisement for a pure organic color. It is called Organic color sysHTH'stem. I do believe that it started over in Europe. It just came over here. It is a no ammonia coloring system but permanent coloring.
hth's

Thanks JD, I'll look out for it, but I live in a hick town so I expect it'll take a while to get here! I don't go OTC cos me and hair just don't get on and I know I'd be a DIY disaster!! Besides I like to be pampered!

I only use professional products I buy from my Hairdresser.

I also started suffering from a dry flaky and extremely itchy scalp a few months ago.

My Hairdresser commented on it, and was concerned.
After a short Q&A session (interrogation!) we realised that I had been using a cheap hairspray after putting Velcro rollers in my hair to give it some added volume between washes.
The build up of this cheap hairspray on my scalp had blocked the pores, hence the itching and redness on my scalp. If I had continued to do this my hair could have started to break off when I was scratching!!!

My fab hairdresser sent me away with not just a flea in my ear, but a sample of Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil shampoo to use once a week until my scalp settled. I have since bought some and still use it once every so often as it has a lovely cooling tingly effect on my scalp.

Oh and I binned the cheap hairspray ....only Paul Mitchell Freeze & Shine for me now....and I no longer need the Velcros.

You can't beat a good professional hairdresser for advice and good products.

Hi,

Just had a look on the web for Nioxin shampoo as the Eufora and Loma shampoos aren't available in the UK (well, not that I can find in anyway !)

The Nioxin shampoo I found is for Thinning hair and you can buy the different kits for different types of hair and stage of thinning :lol:

Is this the same shampoo that you are talking about ?

Marlise

Hi,

Just had a look on the web for Nioxin shampoo as the Eufora and Loma shampoos aren't available in the UK (well, not that I can find in anyway !)

The Nioxin shampoo I found is for Thinning hair and you can buy the different kits for different types of hair and stage of thinning :lol:

Is this the same shampoo that you are talking about ?

Marlise

Yes it is the same one I am talking about. It is used for thinning hair because it treats the scalp. Getting rid of excess oils and plugged hair follicles etc and making your scalp a healthy environment for your hair follicles to live in. It isn't going to give you gobs of new hair, there are two more steps in the system for that, but it will make your hair happy and healthy if you are having any issues.

For those who are chemically enhanced and have a good head of hair with no thinning to slight thinning, you can use the #3. For those who are not chemically enhanced (virgin hair) and have a good head of hair to slight thinning can use #1. What it will do is help you keep your hair on your head.;)
This also gives the tingly/cooling minty effect, like tea tree from PM, but Nioxin is enhanced a bit more.

hi i have the same problem i used t-gel neurogena one about £6 from asda great stuff but after about 6 months it got used to my hair because it came back and wouldnt go again when i used it again .my doctor told me to try polytar from the chemist it did nothing and know im trying Alphosyl 2 in 1 shampoo from the chemist it seems to settle the itching a bit and as long as i use every day keeps the flakes to a minimum. i would really try the t-gel first it great stuff 90% of it went and didnt have to use it every time only when i needed it hope it work for you and keeps working for ya hope this helps
sarah

hi please i have this problem flakey white ,itchy build up please let me know of your secret oil you use sarah ppppppllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeee

We have a lot of customers coming in with this problem in our salon in Dubai, as it is very common here. We recommend the use of KEUNE shampoor for dandruff, and also the KEUNE dandruff serum. It really works well with all the customers and they also buy the treatment from us for their other family members as it is very important that everyone in the house uses it. Also all towels have to be washed everytime u use it on your hair, and change your pillow covers everyday. Please remember flaky scalps can be a fungal growth on your scalp and the Keune Dandruff shampoo and serum for hair treats all kinds of fungus.

hi please i have this problem flakey white ,itchy build up please let me know of your secret oil you use sarah ppppppllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeee

Hi what secret oil ? :eek: did I miss something here ?

please share your secret oil thing with us geekys too :hug: x minky

Latest posts

Back