Reconstructing a toe nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellabeautie

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Ive just had a lady phone me asking if I can sort her toes out......

She recently had an accident with a garden post (!) and she has lost half of her big toe nail. All the other toes are fine. Shes going on a cruise this weekend and really wants to get them sorted out.

Can I do a full set of gel toes on her - even the half missing big toe nail? I am worried about applying product onto her skin to create to full toe nail. How can I do this? Also, would it be better to apply gel or l&p to this big toe nail?

Ive just done a search and read Peter Pans tutorial, but by looking at those picures, theres a lot more nail than my client has.

Please help!

Thanks

xxx

Hi chik dont panic all can be sorted!!!
I do this lots and use L/P so I can give you all the gen on this system
Prep as normal then go ahead and overlay with your chosen colour as normal just sculpting the toenail as you go to look like it should !
Its a visual thing - just make the toenail look whole with your l&p.
It really is that simple but just a bit scarey when you've never done it before!
File shape and finish as you normally would and bobs your uncle she'll be really pleased - give it a go - it couldnt look any worse could it?!
Be brave and you wont look back - its actually one of my favourite things to do for people cos they're sssooo pleased with the results!
Let me know how you go !
Good luck jayneym xxx

Hiya, thanks for your reply. This is what I thought I would have to do, but I am worried about when I use the l&p, and pull it down (or up - whichever way you work!) it is going to be touching the skin. Surely this would be over exposure? xx

I have a client next month who does not have any big toe nail.
I am aware that you can reconstruct a nail from acrylic which is what I intend to do.
My question is will the acrylic stick to the toe as there is NO nail there at all? Would I need to construct it with oil underneath, then take off and stick on with adhesive?
Also, I have tried this on my mum before but had to stop as she said the acrylic stung her toe, is this common or does it just depend on the sensitivity of the person? Is it just a stinging sensation or is it burning the skin?

Thanks

Anyone please?
x

Lots of info on this site about that. Just use search and you will find it :)

I dont mean to sound rude, but I am fully aware of the commandments of this site.
I did look, but couldnt find the answers I wanted which is why I posted this thread.

Sometimes if you build too thick on sensitive skin it will burn. You need to make sure the nail bed is completely healed. You can sculpt right on the skin with very little free edge so they don't catch it on anything. It will stay on for a while like this, but will eventually fall off and they can choose to either glue it on with nail resin or have you resculpt. If they had even the tiniest bit of nail to attach it to, it would stay better. Make sure they keep it clean and dry and regularly use an antiseptic cleanser to keep bacteria from growing under the nail.
HTH!

Hi, is it only Acrylic that you work with? I do a lot of toenail reconstructions as my salon is very close to a tennis club and they are prime candidates! But I always reconstruct with Gel, If you need any tips on gel reconstruction I am happy to help x

Hi, is it only Acrylic that you work with? I do a lot of toenail reconstructions as my salon is very close to a tennis club and they are prime candidates! But I always reconstruct with Gel, If you need any tips on gel reconstruction I am happy to help x

Yes I only work with acrylic, but thank you for the offer.
x

Hiya, thanks for your reply. This is what I thought I would have to do, but I am worried about when I use the l&p, and pull it down (or up - whichever way you work!) it is going to be touching the skin. Surely this would be over exposure? xx

Hi
Just wondering if you found any more information on this subject, i have a lot of lady's with problem big toes and think the same way as you about overexposure.

I resculpt toenails all the time. Her's is going to be easy because she is going to have her own growing out behind it. That skin that is over the nail bed is really tough and you don't have to do toes as often, so I wouldn't worry too much about overexposure. I do use scotch tape to cover the end of the toe to create that little bit of free edge--but not too much. I have two gals that have no toenail whatsoever and I have been sculpting gels on them for 3 yrs now with no problem and l/p for 2 yrs before that.

Over exposure is a potential hazard and risk if you repeatedly expose a client to a chemical or chemicals over a long period of time; it is not something that would happen overnight after one application. After 2 or 3 years of exposing a client's skin to chemicals that should not touch the skin, I would be concerned at any sign like itching etc as it would signal for sure that it was time to stop. Being aware of the possible hazard of overexposure is the most important thing.

thank you both for your replies which have helped me a lot

Julie

I agree with Jayneym. I have no nails on either of my big toes. The nail on each toe only grows to around a quarter of an inch and then it just seems to stop. I prep as usual and lay the acrylic as an overlay on the stumpy bit and then across the dead nailbed where the nail should be. This works perfectly well and the only thing I find I have to watch for is soaking my feet if I have a bath as this can cause them to come off prematurely as the dead nail bed absorbs so much water as does the bit of nail I do have there. When I do have a bath rather than a shower I put my feet up on the side of the bath. ;)

I'm not an acrylic girl, however I have done toenail reconstruction so I hope my basic directions will help. Note your client does need to have at least some nail left at the base.

1. Push back cuticle and trim any loose hanger-oners.
  2. Buff any reminants of the existing nail so there is no shine left.
  3. Disinfect entire nail bed/existing nail.
  4. Use masking tape to cover the nail bed and pull back side walls. Skip this step if her nail bed is flat.
  5. Use a form and snug it up against the left over nail. You may need to tailor it. Just make sure that it is covering all the skin so that any part of the false nail that isn't attached to her left-over natural nail is on the form.
  6. Go ahead with your prepping and application of a coloured acrylic.
  7. Once finished application, gently and carefully slide tape and form out from under new nail.
  8. Gently file into shape.
  9. Keep this toenail slightly thicker than a normal toenail. It needs the strength. Also keep it shorter.
Voila! Make sure she cleans the toenail daily as it could become a breeding ground for bacteria underneath the false nail. I have a picture of a before and after I did, however now I realize I should've done a step by step one.

PM me if you need any more info!

hi eskimonailtech

Where abouts is your before and after pic of the toenail you done, am curious to see what it looks like in case I get someone who has not much toenail. Thanks. Abi

I'm not an acrylic girl, however I have done toenail reconstruction so I hope my basic directions will help. Note your client does need to have at least some nail left at the base.

But it is possible to reconstruct a toenail without any nail left isnt it? Im sure Iv read that you can and then when the nail falls off either a new one can be made or that one can be stuck on again with nail adhesive.

what is the rason why she doesnt have a nail plate?:?:

Latest posts

Back