Recovering from toenail fungus

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillBarr313

Reaction score
Hello,

I've had toenail fungus for years.
I finally went to the doctor for it and after taking Lamisil for 12 weeks the fungus is gone.
Totally amazed by the results!
My question is about the tip (i think the distal edge) of the nails.
The tips are kind of brittle and frayed. It's almost like they are porous.
I'm going next week for my first ever Pedicure and would like to know what I should ask for.
Can the nails be sealed at the tips?
Thanks!
Bill

It will take several months for the affected nail to grow out and become normal again. Althought the fungus has gone it has left some damage, or delamination.
I would have them cut as short as possible and if the free dge of the nail is alright and not delaminated you could have normal polish base/colout/top taken over the free edge to seal it.
I have done IBX on healthy toe nails that are delaminated and it has been good. However she did not have fungal nail in her previous history and it is different to you.
I would advise leaving the polish on for no more thn 2 weeks Nail polish has tiny holes in it's formulation which is why it is easily removed with acetone. That said though it can also allow germs to invade and because there's colour on you can't see it developing.
My question to you is this. If you have had fungal nail for years , what things have you actively done to prevent a re infection?

Got rid of any tight fitting shoes? Get them at least half a size bigger...toes need wriggle room.
Wash your feet after wearing shoes for any length of time? Use a tiny nail brush to debride the free edge in a footbath. Here dettol is used as a disinfectant in the foot bath and antiseptic soap. Dry thoroughily,
Dry shoes in the sunlight after wearing or change shoes daily to ensure they are totally dry?
Launder socks on 60 degrees, change twice daily.
Let your toes (with no polish on them) see as much sunlight /daylight as you can , because fungus likes a warm, moist dark environment to thrive.
Don't walk around barefoot, open toed sandals are best at home. Floor coverings are not clean surfaces.
I know it may seem a bit like overkill for a very simple question, but my friend is a podiatrist and I take her sound advice. and pass it on. Prevention is better than a cure.

Good luck

It will take several months for the affected nail to grow out and become normal again. Althought the fungus has gone it has left some damage, or delamination.
I would have them cut as short as possible and if the free dge of the nail is alright and not delaminated you could have normal polish base/colout/top taken over the free edge to seal it.
I have done IBX on healthy toe nails that are delaminated and it has been good. However she did not have fungal nail in her previous history and it is different to you.
I would advise leaving the polish on for no more thn 2 weeks Nail polish has tiny holes in it's formulation which is why it is easily removed with acetone. That said though it can also allow germs to invade and because there's colour on you can't see it developing.
My question to you is this. If you have had fungal nail for years , what things have you actively done to prevent a re infection?

Got rid of any tight fitting shoes? Get them at least half a size bigger...toes need wriggle room.
Wash your feet after wearing shoes for any length of time? Use a tiny nail brush to debride the free edge in a footbath. Here dettol is used as a disinfectant in the foot bath and antiseptic soap. Dry thoroughily,
Dry shoes in the sunlight after wearing or change shoes daily to ensure they are totally dry?
Launder socks on 60 degrees, change twice daily.
Let your toes (with no polish on them) see as much sunlight /daylight as you can , because fungus likes a warm, moist dark environment to thrive.
Don't walk around barefoot, open toed sandals are best at home. Floor coverings are not clean surfaces.
I know it may seem a bit like overkill for a very simple question, but my friend is a podiatrist and I take her sound advice. and pass it on. Prevention is better than a cure.

Good luck

Thank you very much for your reply.
Well, I had my first ever pedi/manicure and I am hooked! I can't wait to get another one. The nail salon I went to was really clean and the people working there were awesome. Unfortunately, they didn't know what the word "delamination" meant. As a matter fact I called several other salons before choosing this one and none of them knew that word. I'll keep looking for a salon that knows the words "delamination" and "free edge" to seal the nails next time.

I was a chef for 20 plus years always on my feet in a wet environment. Usually wearing the same shoes all day every day. I also drank a lot of alcohol working in foodservice. I think I got the fungus at my dirty gym, walking around the locker room barefoot.
Now I have a different job with dry feet all day long and carry extra socks and three different pairs of shoes in my work truck. I drive between stops in my socks with the air blowing on my feet. After work and on weekends I only wear open-toed sandals. I've been utilizing my "clean" gym's tanning beds to tan my feet and legs. I also don't drink as much alcohol. I eat healthy food avoiding bread, sugar and fast food.

I'm really happy with my toenail progress!
I am 53 years old and I can't remember my toenails ever looking this good. YAY!

Great reply from you !
I am so pleased that it has made all the difference in your changes that you have made to your lifestyle.
A long time ago one of my ladies had rotting toenails from working behind the bar in a pub.. Beer sloshing over her open toed sandals was what brought the nail infection to become deep seated. I never did her feet luckily and I think she still struggles a bit today.

Nails that are delaminated , simply have the layers of nail cells lifting away from one another. Water penetrates and the nail becomes very weak. and peels off itself. Where hands are often in water or get very cold, these reasons can also be the cause of nails to become delaminated. They break so easily too.

Other things like medications, general health, illness and just getting older can also be the cause.
If a salon offers IBX repair and strenghtening treatment, they will be familiar with the word delamination.
Enjoy your happy feet !!!

OK, I need help.
Can someone please recommend a nail strengthening product?
My goal is to seal and protect against delamination. Something that absorbs into the nail and doesn't need to be removed like polish or base does.
I tried to find a salon that does IBX repair but had no luck. I don't want to buy all the stuff to do IBX myself.
There must be some kind of product that I can just brush on a couple of times a week and be done with it.
Also, a big deal for me is that it doesn't turn my nails yellow. I heard formaldehyde products do that.
Thank you!
Bill

Hi Bill,
There is nothing else like IBX on the market , and that is their USP. So you have to look at general nail strengthening products and apply every other day.

Mavala.....Scientifique ( a clear blue liquid that penetrates the nail plate and is invisible) I think this would be my first choice to trial.
Nail Magic...been going for a very long time
Nailtiques.....Formula 2
OPI .....Nail envy

Check the labels as I aren't sure if there is the formaldehyde in them sorry .

Hi Bill, you've had some excellent advice from Rosie. I'm so happy for you, it's sounds like you are really enjoying life now.

Another suggestion is Gehwohl Med Protective Nail and Skin Oil. It's a fluid similar to a penetrating oil which is great for protecting and strengthening nails and skin. Fungal infections usually lurk in both skin and nails so a product that you apply to the nails and surrounding skin will be excellent.

If you want to have an IBX treatment consider buying a bottle of IBX from Famous Names who are based in Los Angeles and get them to send you instructions, and then get a local salon to apply it for you. They will need a light machine used for curing nail gel polish and a mild heat source about the same heat as coming off a 200watt lamp (not led).

Latest posts

Back