Recruiting a therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo@tranquil

Reaction score
I am just a little fed up, I did a whole load of interviews back in April to find a part time therapist to work in my salon, majority I hate to say were hopeless, but then I found someone I really liked and that would suit my salon, but she said she wouldn't be able to start until mid July, because of finishing her course and then going on holiday, but I decided to wait for her and offer her the job, which she accepted.
Now today I recieve an email saying she has been offered a full time job :irked:
I am a little naffed off, she new the position was part time so why go for it if she really wanted full time ...
I know that's how it goes, but really I hate being messed about.
I have never employed before and am starting to wonder if it's such a good idea. But on the other hand I am so busy I have no time myself at all and work 10 hour days.
Oh the joys of having a salon !
(I love it really) x
Sorry just needed to get that off my chest before bed !

I understand where you're coming frOm but try to see her point of view.
She is probably desperate to get into salon work and was more than likely looking at applying to all beauty jobs she could full and part time! She was probably excited to be offered a job but then more hours which means more money would be difficult to say no to!
Frustrating for you I know but at least she let you know and didn't just not turn up!
Good luck finding someone though? I'm sure the right person will come along.
:)

Good staff are really like gold dust!!! It is frustrating for you but i suppose if a full time job was available anybody would be a fool not to take it :p as well as interviewing I would have them do a trade test, i think it is vital , as well as having the qualifications and personality , ability is high up there , I have learned myself the hard way . Get them to do a half leg wax , eyebrows , file and polish , to see how good they really are , and references !! the right girl is out there for you !!

Personally I would really grill them more in the interview. If the therapist is single, no children etc no doubt she'll work full time at the drop of a hat. If the therapist was looking for a part time job due to kids, part time study etc then fair enough.

If the therapist is able and willing to do a full time job I wouldn't take them on for a part time job. Just be glad she didn't start and you invest time and effort training her only for her to take a full time job elsewhere.

Maybe in your interview just mention as a decoy that you may have a full time position coming up which would they prefer?

Keep your head up though and keep trying just make sure the person you offer has circumstances to cater for a part time job primarily not just as a stop gap, way in or as there is nothing else out there for them.

Good luck in finding someone else.

Thanks everyone !
Handbag queen yes, I did one round of 1st interviews of girls who had good cv's and then asked a few back to do trade tests.
I was actually shocked at how badly some did treatments.
I am sure the right girl is out there !
:biggrin:

Chin up, not everyone will immediately ditch a part time job in exchange for full time.

When i finished college, I was more concerned about finding the right place to offer me th best experience: somewhere where I could see myself being for at least a few years. Don't feel that because you are offering part time hours that a candidate who applies for the job will be less dedicated than someone who is seeking full time. It takes all sorts of people and all that.

In my personal experience, I think that a good attitude is worth a lot to the extent that even if someone does need bringing up to speed on a few treatments, if they have the potential and dedication I would consider them to be a good option. Ultimately, it sounds like you are looking for enthusiasm.

Thanks everyone !
Handbag queen yes, I did one round of 1st interviews of girls who had good cv's and then asked a few back to do trade tests.
I was actually shocked at how badly some did treatments.
I am sure the right girl is out there !
:biggrin:

This happens to me a lot. It's such a shame when their skills let them down.
In the last two years I must have had at least 10 girls say they have no idea how to paint French.

This happens to me a lot. It's such a shame when their skills let them down.
In the last two years I must have had at least 10 girls say they have no idea how to paint French.

Do you mean that they knew how to do it and struggled to execute that or that they didn't know how to approach it at all?

I ask that because (and I'm going out on a limb here) there are so many people who leave college (me included) who find French polish hard. I don't know if this is a case of "some can do it and some can't" or whether with a little extra help, an enthusiastic college leaver has the potential to be brought up to scratch.

It frustrates me that after college there are some things that people can't do (for e.g. french or waxing wth confidence) because in many cases I don't think it's from a lack of trying.

I was just disappointed with the standard really, nail polish on cuticles and around the skin, and not cleaned off ! One girl applied polish without removing massage cream 1st !
I know there are some good therapists out there.
I just want someone who is a genuine person with good basic skills that I can build on to polish them up !
Oh and someone who can speak 'properly' that's not much to ask is it ?!

I'm like, so she's like....
I know what you mean about speaking properly!

I find that potential therapists have done a class at college but not practised. You cannot work as a therapist if you can't wax, or paint a nail.
Polishing a therapist is normal, retraining them is not do-able for me.

I 'done' facials I 'done' waxing
I wouldn't be confident in massage and electrolysis , but you just finished college and passed your course, how can you not be competent at the basics ???!!!
Don't get me wrong I remember being nervous and shaking when applying French polish to start, I am willing to take someone on who is lacking in experience, just not willing to take on someone who is incompetent .

I was just disappointed with the standard really, nail polish on cuticles and around the skin, and not cleaned off ! One girl applied polish without removing massage cream 1st !
I know there are some good therapists out there.
I just want someone who is a genuine person with good basic skills that I can build on to polish them up !
Oh and someone who can speak 'properly' that's not much to ask is it ?!

Oh, in that case, fair play. I thought you meant that the french was just a bit underconfident but to leave massage cream on before attempting to polish is something else. Fair play.

Latest posts

Back