Recruiting mobile spray tanners in London

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEVERTOOTANNED

Reaction score
Hi there, I've been mobile spray tanning around central and north London for a good few months now and my demand is far outweighing what I can physically do. I am working during the day then working most evenings up until midnight which isn't good for my health!

I want to recruit a couple of mobile spray tanners in London to work under the Never Too Tanned brand, but I have NO idea how to go about it.

I am mainly worried that they will just keep the customers themselves - how do I stop this from happening? :eek:

Also how do I work it - what fee should I take from them for setting up the appointments? I charge £30 for outcalls so maybe take £10 per booking?

Also, my plan was to use Gumtree and my website to find the girls (I've had a few contact me about wanting to work for me anyway) then have them do a spray tan on me to make sure that I agree with their method and that it's a good standard for my clients.

Anyway, sorry for the LONG post - I just have So many questions and ANY help and advice at all would be fabulous. :lol:

Thanks

Can I just say good for you on building up your business!
Great to hear a success!
I think it could be difficult to make sure whoever is workin for you doesn't steal your clients by undercutting your price!
I guess a contract would have something in there about it.
Would you be employing them or would they be self employed?

Ah wow! Well done! :lol:

Hi there, I've been mobile spray tanning around central and north London for a good few months now and my demand is far outweighing what I can physically do. I am working during the day then working most evenings up until midnight which isn't good for my health!

I want to recruit a couple of mobile spray tanners in London to work under the Never Too Tanned brand, but I have NO idea how to go about it.

I am mainly worried that they will just keep the customers themselves - how do I stop this from happening? :eek:

Also how do I work it - what fee should I take from them for setting up the appointments? I charge £30 for outcalls so maybe take £10 per booking?

Also, my plan was to use Gumtree and my website to find the girls (I've had a few contact me about wanting to work for me anyway) then have them do a spray tan on me to make sure that I agree with their method and that it's a good standard for my clients.

Anyway, sorry for the LONG post - I just have So many questions and ANY help and advice at all would be fabulous. :lol:

Thanks

How long have you been trading? And how did you advertise?
I'm just starting.
Good luck

You would need an employment contract really but even then it's hard to guarantee they wouldn't leg it with some of your clients... even large corporate companies struggle to enforce the contracts relating to this so I guess in fairness a lot would be down to how much you want to spend on getting a fair but enforceable contract in place...

I'm honestly not 100% sure it would be worth it - either take them at their word that they would not steal your clients and work out how much your share for a referral would be or what their payment would be for each tan+travel etc... I spy a minefield personally :(

I fear you may be right... I was doing this to make my life a bit easier, but I fear it may just make it harder! Thanks for the replies - I'm going to have a good think.

I fear you may be right... I was doing this to make my life a bit easier, but I fear it may just make it harder! Thanks for the replies - I'm going to have a good think.

I would agree...beleive me even when contracts in place it doesn't stp some from breaking and ignoring them :rolleyes:

Best advice ...stay as you are..if its to much slowly put up your prices
You should enjoy the rewards off the back of your reputation...not others as is often the case in the business world :rolleyes:

HTH and good luck :wink2:

Hi

Congrats!

Could you use freelancers the problem is whichever way you choose is the chance they will pinch your customers - or could you go part time? Or open a space somewhere and just open evenings and weekends with another person? Sorry if these arent realistic just ideas coming out my head! lol

xx

Well done to you for being so good and busy!
I understand your problem, as I am in the same boat.
I use freelancers to cover the appointments that I cannot do myself and pay them commission per appointment. I don't guarantee work to my team, so only contact them when have an appointment for them. We do have a contract which states that if they are caught poaching, e.g. giving out own business cards or offering the client to book directly at the cheaper price, they will get sacked on the spot (once the issue is discovered) and any balance I owe them will not be paid (as this is a compensation for the loss caused). Sounds harsh but this is common practice used by large mobile companies.
The trouble is, that clients often ask for Therapists direct contact details. To protect myself from this, I tell staff that I do mystery shopping and that mystery shoppers can ask for their contact details to check how the team will react. This is also stated in the contract, "we have the right to use mystery shopping agencies to ensure the quality of service is consistent." Of course, you don't have to use them, but it can work for some people.

Excellent news that things are going so well for you :)

As someone suggested its probably better that you continue as you are or if you're able to rent a treatment room somewhere.

When you start to get into offering contracts even if the staff are freelance you then obviously become an employer and then you have to start dealing with the HR employer side of things *groan*

I think they would end up taking your client. You could perhaps look at the clients that are quite far away and passing them on for a one off fee maybe. That way compacting your area. Maybe you take half the cost for the first tan. They could pay you a deposit through pay pal. Your half. That way at least you would get something out of it. Failing that maybe train up a family member lol xxx

It would be a risk!

Can I just ask how do you get about London doing the mobile tans? As in traffic and parking and stuff? My brother lives in London and I could never imagine travelling by anything but the tube when I'm there!

Why don't you just pass on the information for a small cost if you haven't got any time to give that person a spray tan then they will go somewhere else anyway. This way you are giving the client what they want (a spray tan) but not by you but they may come back to you or pass on your details to others. The person you give the job to actually buys the job off you so you could charge a small fee - find out what type of tan they want e.g a one off tan or weekly etc. :idea:

I'm in the same boat as you aswell. I just can't keep up with demand, not so much spray tanning but beauty in general.

I'm hoping to train my sister up in just spray tanning and to come and join me and take some of the pressure off but then got to figure out how to split the cost to make it worth her while and mine!

Whilst it's great your demand is so high, I personally see it as a bit of a gamble. You can enforce a contract so theoretically no clients will be stolen but there's nothing stopping a client from just knowing the name of the therapist, finding them on facebook and contacting them. Also you have to think of your reputation when employing anyone. Your demand is so high because you offer a good quality service which clients obviously trust and are happy with. If you hire a therapist that makes a mistake or that doesn't perform well, instead of it being their reputation, people will mainly be talking badly of your company.
Whilst the benefits would be amazing to branch out, offer a service to more people, there is a lot to take into consideration with something like this.

I'm marking my place for tomorrow.
I've some experience of these issues from my previous career. Send me a message if you want to chat.

Latest posts

Back