Recruitment advice, support, I'm at breaking point!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubywoo

Reaction score
I know ! have ranted on here many times about the state of recruitment in the beauty industry, but I'm about to hit rock bottom and need help before I give up. After eight years of giving everything I have to my salon I am about to close the doors. I cannot recruit able or experienced therapists. Every job advert I put out is responded to by college leavers, I have given so many a chance that I now no longer have any savings or money left in my salon and I barely get paid myself. All the youngster I've recruited have not wanted to engage with training and simply want to get paid for turning up. My most recent fiasco was 8 weeks of training for three therapists all of whom have left. Each and every one stated they were "visual" learners and struggled having to learn how to wax neatly and professionally with a teacher showing them, and could I just make a video for them!!!!! Yet when I sent our skincare videos not one was watched.

I have a large client base who are loyal and love coming, but limited staff, I'm down to three part time therapists, which does not cover 60 hours a week for three rooms.

I adore my industry, I love training and developing employees and have the most wonderful clients. I recently won a prestigious award which feels so heartbreaking when I'm close to walking away.

College does not prepare young therapists for the world of work, In eight years only one person successfully passed a trade test to a level where I was able to give bookings to her straight away.

How does everyone else cope? how do you recruit? maybe I'm stuck in the past and need to find out how people are doing it now!.

Any advice would be gratefully received before I loose everything I've built.

Have you thought about renting 2 rooms out and keeping one for yourself?
My friend had the same thing then rented rooms out and best thing she did.

Honestly, I don’t think there are any secrets. It’s just a state of how things are these days in all industries.

I would consider looking at how much you can get selling the business. It might not be what you want to do but it might make financial sense and you can perhaps invest your money and then just work solo from home and still be 10000% better off financially and stress wise.

Thanks for your reply guys. Sadly I can't do treatments anymore due to my age and bones!. Sadly I couldn't rent out the rooms as it wouldn't even cover the running costs of the business. I think my only answer is to start the academy I've been thinking of, the universe has a funny way of pushing you forward!.

Thanks for your reply guys. Sadly I can't do treatments anymore due to my age and bones!. Sadly I couldn't rent out the rooms as it wouldn't even cover the running costs of the business. I think my only answer is to start the academy I've been thinking of, the universe has a funny way of pushing you forward!.

You clearly have a lot to give to the education and improvement of standards to our profession. So don't let all your knowledge and kindness to new trainees disappear.
As you say you are now pushed into a new phase in your life.........some people are good teachers, and you clearly are ! so very passionate too.
If you can set up your academy , you could be the next academy of brilliance and the " go to "for exacting standards. You never know !!
keep us posted , I do wish you well in your new quest.
This forum may well give you some new recruits.... that are really hungry for an exceptional and thorough beauty education. It is sad to say this , but as we had years ago "old school" so to speak.
All the best x

Latest posts

Back