Recruitment - driving me mad

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glittery

Reaction score
I am seriously banging my head against a brick wall here!!

I interviewed 1 girl who is qualified but has never had a job in the industry. She seemed really keen and I contacted her to arrange a trade test but she cried off via text saying "she didn't feel ready etc" her mum was a client of mine who then proceeded not to turn up to any of her booked appointments.

I interviewed another girl on Saturday who is already in the industry and was really, really, keen and came across as well motivated etc. As she only has Mondays off I hastily arranged a trade test for this evening. When I contacted her to confirm timings etc, no response!!

I have since, rung and messaged setting a 12pm deadline for confirmation and nothing!!

Do people not want to work and what the heck has happened to good old fashion manners? Pick up the phone and confirm your not turning up!!

I am seriously banging my head against a brick wall here!!

I interviewed 1 girl who is qualified but has never had a job in the industry. She seemed really keen and I contacted her to arrange a trade test but she cried off via text saying "she didn't feel ready etc" her mum was a client of mine who then proceeded not to turn up to any of her booked appointments.

I interviewed another girl on Saturday who is already in the industry and was really, really, keen and came across as well motivated etc. As she only has Mondays off I hastily arranged a trade test for this evening. When I contacted her to confirm timings etc, no response!!

I have since, rung and messaged setting a 12pm deadline for confirmation and nothing!!

Do people not want to work and what the heck has happened to good old fashion manners? Pick up the phone and confirm your not turning up!!

This sounds like a nightmare!
I know this sounds abit 'In my day....blah blah', But I honestly do think work ethic has changed.
I would do anything to make a good impression if i was to apply for a position somewhere.
I hope this girl doesn't come back in as her mum will owe a lot of missed appointment fees!:sad:

Last edited:
I feel your pain. Surely they know that they'll have to do a trade test???
I get sick of arranging time out to interview and trade test people who don't bother to show, or regard asking them to bring a model for a test as impertinent!!
I'm sure these people forget that salon owners are busy people. I've had girls cancel due to them 'promising their friend they'd go shopping.'
Others have talked on their phones during an interview, and I'm expected to wait till their finished yapping to their mate!!
Keep looking and trying. There must be decent staff out there somewhere.

It is a nightmare when you go to all that trouble to arrange interviews/trade tests and they dont confirm or turn up!

You could try approaching colleges near by, speak to the beauty tutors and ask them if they have any "top NVQ3 students" they would reccommend to you (although the new academic year is starting in Sept, but hopefully they will still remember who showed promise in their last batch of students!) :D

Wish I lived near you I would be happy to come in for a trade test I'm dying for a job in the beauty industry 😔 x

Wish I lived near you I would be happy to come in for a trade test I'm dying for a job in the beauty industry 😔 x

Me too, I really don't understand how anyone could pass up an opportunity especially when they employer is contacting them to confirm.

I did a trade test 2 weeks ago the employer was late so off to a great start already! I was then told I would be contacted the following week but that never happened...

As far as I'm concerned manners cost nothing, but are fast becoming a rarity.

Only consolation is that I find out now before I take them on!

Latest posts

Back