Red/Auburn hair to Dark-Dirty blonde?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I probably know the answer....pretty sure that I do.
But I figured times change and so do products....so I'd give it a shot.

I'm tired of dying my roots every 3wks (I'm anal, even dye my brows to match LOL) and touching up the ends every 2 or 3mths since red/auburn fades and dulls like crazy.

I use Solfine Crema Color brand #6NR (6.04) "Dark Blonde Natural Copper".
I prefer to use 10volume peroxide, but sometimes they don't have it in stock and occasionally use 20vol.

My natural colour is like my eldest daughter's. Dark dirty blonde as seen here on my facebook, with some natural copper thrown in. Lighter in summer than in winter and this is a winter pic:
n882190384_2477870_8868.jpg

I do NOT want to strip my hair and wind up cutting off all the damage.
I do NOT want to dye it dark brown and add highlights. I worry about 'orange'.

My hair is VERY VERY fine and damages easily. In summer, I rarely use a blowdryer. I wash it only every 3 to 4 days. I never use a straightner or similar.

Sooooooo how would you take hair the colour of my profile pic and make it the colour of my daughters?
Or am I dreaming in technicolour and have to do it the old fashioned way and grow out my red/auburn hair?

sorry - what isit you need to do ,lighten ,drken or knock out the red? i cant see your photo very well . cute kids

Yup, ditch the red.
Sorry, here's a bigger pic or two of my crazy hair.

This is from June when I went a tad redder than usual for the wedding:
n882190384_3342789_7517.jpg

And my shower pic that shows you how much there is, and the natural wave that makes it slightly frizzy. It's ultra fine, but frizzy, not coarse? Very delicate hair.

n527712454_879990_8795.jpg

red is notorious for fading , so if you dont want anything harsh , and want to grow it out with a little help , id go for a semi in a flat or natural gold ( for shine ) in a shade lighter ( so any deposit isnt a problem later) . it wont lift the red or your natural colour but when the roots come through it will help blend the two together and disguise the red without commiting you . A lso great for curly hair as it adds gloss! and smooths ! Or for the completely safe option - a brown colour moose

wouldnt an ash/matt tone work too?

too take out the red?

sorry if it's a silly question but i'd like to know!

:hug:

i dont think a grey ash toner would work as they dont have a depth of colourand are designed for blonde hair - although i think wella does ap 5/81 or they used to . - green is the tone to use for red,but if the hair is naturally dry id be cautious.

i meant like a 6-3? (daek blonde matt(green)) in schwarzkopf, :)

:)

dont know it probably would make it a more natural red shade never used schwartkopf

i know that a 5-3 over red makes it chocolatey brown, but wasnt sure if a lighter shade would do the same,

thanks for answering!

:)

Ummmm ok, as I've posted before and perhaps not everyone knows: I'm many years (18yrs) out of the hairdressing business. So much of the chemistry escapes me (and was never my forte to begin with, in truth.)
I gave you the numbers of the colour so you'd have an easier time of it knowing what's on my hair, but I'm so rusty in that department that they mean nothing to me.

So, what are we suggesting (think "hairdressing for dummies" :lol: when explaining lol)

I know that green cuts red, and that 'ash' would be a good direction.
BUT I don't want to dye it very dark because I'd look horrid. I did try it once, and dyed it a dark ashy brown several times, but the red kept peeping through and I think that's also because my natural colour is light and has some copper to begin with. It looked very harsh on me, and I wound up giving up.

So, a semi-permanent is the way to go? To keep cutting the red over time? Is that what I understand? And THEN go ash brown with highlights? Keeping in mind, it's very long and would take years for my roots to become my 'ends', if you know what I mean.... to grow out the section that is dyed red.

yep thats what im saying , because any hi - lites you would have over the red even with another semi or tint would have to be bleach and that is seriously bad news for red or curly hair . so a slightly lighter semi with ash may help to blend in the root and tone down the ends until you have enougth natural hair to work with. sorry i dont know any us conversions but you probably want a 6 base , then take it up to a 7 base so you dont get too much build up

Thanks Liana!
I'll speak to my hairdresser about this, as she seemed determined to bleach my head which there is NO WAY THAT'S GONNA HAPPEN:!::!:
I KNOW what will happen if I do that: orange bird-nest hair that i"ll have to cut off.:eek:

Crossing my fingers she knows what you're talking about. She's the only one in 6yrs that I've been able to find that can cut hair the length of my own PROPERLY and I'd hate to go somewhere else just for a colour, then she'd see it and be insulted... ya know?

crossing my fingers and thanks again!
:hug:

Latest posts

Back