Red balayage colour correction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpickle

Reaction score
Hi

Client had long thick natural auburn hair with about 6 inch natural growth and mids/ends which were faded out highlights and 7.44 colour. She liked brightness of colour when applying 7.44 all over but didn't like block colour synthetic effect. She wanted it a more vibrant red with some blonde sweeps through the hair for an almost beachy effect.

Salon advised her to do Balayage with 3 colours to reflect the natural combination of dark auburn, copper and blonde which ran through her hair. They did fine Balayage with a 6.65 7.44 and bleach, they then toned the air with 7.4 .

Client disliked colour as it was subtle and she could not see difference to hair before, arranged fixing appt with salon when testing colour waiting for appt friends did not notice it had been coloured until in natural light where someone pointed out she had had 'purple streaks' put through her hair.

At fixing appt client asked for much more bright copper and for highlights to be more visible, also advised of purple streaks comment.. Colourist advised she would do chunkier pieces and showed colour chart, client advised she did not like the shade of 6.65 pointed to as looked un natural purple,stylist advised she was going to do a 6 but add some more synthetic looking colour to it to get a brighter look. Clients hair now has lots of thick pieces of bright 6.66 red running through it against 7.44 and golden red blonde.

I've attached some pics of her hair in natural light. Also attached pics of what she says she is looking for. She says the picture with the girl standing against a wall is her ideal hair.

I was thinking to put a 7.44 vol 9 all over & hope this removes some of the fake red streaks and giver her the brighter copper look in the pics, but she would lose the highlights and she did say she wanted to avoid a block colour. Does anyone have better ideas? Thanks
image2.JPG
image1 (1).PNG
IMG_0072.PNG
482B9802-E41F-472C-901B-DC16B1A630B8.JPG
IMG_0079.PNG

Tell her to buy a special daylight filter and apply before leaving the house. :rolleyes:

Tell her to buy a special daylight filter and apply before leaving the house. :rolleyes:
:confused: It's genuinely a really bad job... I don't know what to do with it, I've only been an apprentice for a year. She's my friend & asked me to help, she spent £200 on that job which she couldn't really afford.

This is the first time I've used this forum and I was hoping people here were friendly & up for helping each other?

Sorry, but you're not likely to get it anything like the photos without supervision as you'll need to use several mixes and careful placement. It's really a job for an experienced colourist.

You're relatively new to hairdressing but it's important to learn about managing client expectations. They look at pictures on social media that have been heavily edited & filtered and expect you to recreate them without appreciating that their hair isn't suitable or that its going to take several processes to get the look that they're after.

If you apply a single colour all over, it's going to look a lot worse than it does currently.

Sorry, but you're not likely to get it anything like the photos without supervision as you'll need to use several mixes and careful placement. It's really a job for an experienced colourist.

You're relatively new to hairdressing but it's important to learn about managing client expectations. They look at pictures on social media that have been heavily edited & filtered and expect you to recreate them without appreciating that their hair isn't suitable or that its going to take several processes to get the look that they're after.

If you apply a single colour all over, it's going to look a lot worse than it does currently.

Thank you very much for your response, I really appreciate it. I think really she just wants me to remove the red streaks more than match the pics now, it's not quite as evident in the pictures just how bad they are, its like she's got some thick raspberry ripple effect going on.

I would like to help her tone it down but if you think its totally beyond me she's going to have to wait a couple pay days to get it sorted out..

To clarify, I'm not stating that it's completely beyond you as I've no idea of your skill level. I just made a general assumption based on you being an apprentice.

With it being a friend, I can appreciate that you want to help her out BUT, I think it's even more important that you consider yourself in the equation.

We see a lot of posts from newbies wanting to practise on their friends, which is obviously great.
However, the friend often wants something complex that would cost £££ in the salon but wants their hairdressing pal to re-create it, often for free. (!) Newbie then posts on here for advice when it's all gone wrong and their confidence is dented, which is such a shame.

One of my favourite sayings on here is 'under promise and over deliver'.

Latest posts

Back