Red flags at hair school

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reidebot

Down the Rabbit hole.
Reaction score
I'm hesitating about making this for obvious reasons but I have this really bad feeling about school. I started 5 weeks ago. I've been in the industry for a little while and my gut feeling is things don't feel right.

First of all I am not allowed to learn half the time. Mondays I can learn as much as I want. Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays I am sent on placement to shampoo and clean at a salon (Which is fine. I enjoy it but I was supposed to pass a few assessments first).

I over heard one of the teachers saying "I've never done a perm on a real person. I can wind perfectly but it's only on a mannequin". They were doing an assignment that they need to submit to the government. They left it last minute apparently.

Wednesday I am literally cleaning the entire school all day. I wouldn't mind it if I was allowed to do some mannequin work or even some book work. They literally told me that I am not allowed to on Wednesday. I chose the school as it is not an apprenticeship because I have had enough time not being allowed to train as an apprentice (started in 2009) and I just want to get qualified.

They keep giving all the clients to a girl who is qualified rather then the students who need the experience. It feels like the students are there to be unpaid stylists.

One of the teacher doesn't know her colour levels. They were telling a level 8 client they were a level 7-6.

I'm not allowed to outsource outside studies. I get that as we are their students but it is just weird that we have to ignore outside techniques when they don't even do finger waves.

Their course guideline doesn't match the normal government standards. I've been to a few schools. This one doesn't even do on scalp bleach or perming on clients. They do tinting, T-section foils, cutting, perming, setting and a few styles (Blow wave, french roll, shingon) on mannequins, and up to full head foils, tinting, cutting and styling on people. On the mannequins we don't use actual tint (I assume to save product). There is a lot of styling missed and a few other things. It just feels like a lot of shortcuts.

I could just be feeling anxious because of my bad luck with my old workplace. But it all just feels really off.

What do you want to happen? Sounds like basic training but if it means you can get your qualification just go with it as otherwise what is the alternative? You will be back at square 1 trying to figure out how to get qualified and looking for a new college. Once you have your papers you can hopefully find employment somewhere where they continue to invest in you and send you on further training or you can put yourself on advanced short courses with the academies like loreal etc (assuming you have places like that in oz?). Unfortunatly a lot of private training providers just give students the bare minimum to be able to sign them off and aren't that fussed about standards as long as there is a demand for places. Just use your downtime at home to practice on your mannequin or willing volunteers. You could put a complaint in to whoever is in charge especially if it has cost you a lot of money but what do you honestly think they will do about it? If you start questioning and challenging them about their knowledge, it may get their backs up and could end up making an atmosphere that makes it difficult for you to stay there.

You have a point. I am just concerned that this school may get me nowhere and even give me a bad reputation just for going there.

When I first started my apprenticeship all I did was shampooing and cleaning. But my boss would also let me watch all the other stylists and pass up to her (like foils and rollers etc) I learnt so much just by watching. It does feel like at the start you aren't getting anywhere but it does take time and a lot of watching other stylists before they let you loose on clients. Just keep going and watch the stylist as much as you can. You will eventually start doing assessments but it's early days X

If you have been hairdressing since 2009 why are you an unpaid apprentice?

one we dont need to got into the details of.

It would also depend what qualification you are taking, for example NVQ do not allow any assessment on manaquins they all have to be on real people and different people for each assessment. VRQ will allow specific units to be completed on a manaquin such as perming.

It would also depend what qualification you are taking, for example NVQ do not allow any assessment on manaquins they all have to be on real people and different people for each assessment. VRQ will allow specific units to be completed on a manaquin such as perming.

The OP is in Australia so different regulations govern the qualifications over there.

I did my schooling in California at an expensive beauty school that probably isn't open anymore. My teachers were involved with a lot of drama with the other students and they would get fired left and right. One of them only specialized in what she called "micro-cuts" and never took a color client in her career. We had similar situations with some students being booked more than others but that will also happen in any salon. My teacher once told me beauty school either makes or breaks the stylist, a lot of people gave up and dropped out! My first few salon gigs involved a lot of cleaning, answering phones, sweeping and shampooing. I think most schools are just going to give you the most basic information to get your license and then get rid of you. My school even gave me my transcripts when I graduated and when I moved states I had to email them a photocopy to send to the state I was moving too. They don't keep any of our info in the archives!

Latest posts

Back