Red hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have a new client who is naturally red level 6 and wants a full head highlights to appear blonde. I haven’t much experience with red heads so would be grateful with any advice.

She does have old ombré on the very ends this is blonde but also pinks aswell in parts (home colour)

im thinking very fine sections of slices and weaves. Varying 20/30 vol, then a toner. Any ashy toner recommendations or formulas?

I use wella and also tired xp100

I have a new client who is naturally red level 6 and wants a full head highlights to appear blonde. I haven’t much experience with red heads so would be grateful with any advice.

She does have old ombré on the very ends this is blonde but also pinks aswell in parts (home colour)

im thinking very fine sections of slices and weaves. Varying 20/30 vol, then a toner. Any ashy toner recommendations or formulas?

I use wella and also tired xp100
I'd do a full head of highlights. I'm not sure varying the developer strength will give you much of a multi toned look. I'd just stick with the full highlights, do them really close together and fine sections. I'd apply a colour inbetween. Either something to neutralise the warmth or something to lift it up a bit and tone out excess warmth. Bleach highlights mixed with a red level 6 will just give the illusion that her hair is a lighter coppe gold colour.

Thanks so much for your reply! Could you recommend a colour for the drop outs?!

When you say she want to appear blond does she mean she wants them lighter or does she want them actually blond? I'd also like to know is the red colour itself virgin? Or is that part tinted as well. I saw you mentioned she is naturally red but has home colour. If all of the red is is virgin then she's red/copper under that hair. If you lightened her to a level 8 she would still technically have that lighter colour. Most people will feel blonder coming from red if you lighten it.

As for the ends I reccomend doing a colour remover first with something like Joicos colour remover for direct dyes (I forget the title).

All in all you could:
1. Colour remover
2. Do foils
3. I she is comfortable you could tint in between however if you do she may grow warm roots which most redheads hate so I could consult on that
4. Foil
5. Tone if needed however try and keep the lighter parts complemantory. If she keeps the red in between don't tone ash as this never suits red hair and can make redheads feel like they are going grey.

Hope this helps you out.

Yes it does thank you.
The root and mid are virgin. The ends is old
Ombré and then a home “semi“ pink in parts.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back