Red not staying in... why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staceow

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm just being cheeky as this is not a salon question but more a personal question for you hair experts. I have gotten red highlights ( Foiled ) put through my hair for about 4 months now and I love this colour, the only problem is after around 2 weeks my hair starts to really look in bad condition as the red stays in the top half of my hair but it seems to turn a pink/blonde colour below my ears! Why is this? I pay a resonable price for my hair to be done in a professional salon and the girls there are lovely but I just wonder why this is happening? x x :rolleyes:

Hi Everyone,
I'm just being cheeky as this is not a salon question but more a personal question for you hair experts. I have gotten red highlights ( Foiled ) put through my hair for about 4 months now and I love this colour, the only problem is after around 2 weeks my hair starts to really look in bad condition as the red stays in the top half of my hair but it seems to turn a pink/blonde colour below my ears! Why is this? I pay a resonable price for my hair to be done in a professional salon and the girls there are lovely but I just wonder why this is happening? x x :rolleyes:

Hi, this is just a guess as I cannot see your hair ,
plus I dont know what products they may be using,
but
I think that the bottom bits are now over porous and sound like they may be getting overprocessed ,

Does the hairdresser take the same red colour all the way from the roots right through to the ends in the foils each time ?

if he /she does,
this could well be the problem
for hair to stay red it needs only to be lifted a little bit and just the once ,

once it gets lifted too light it will turn pinky peach because the hair underneath the red has now lifted to a blonde colour

eg: remember your primary colours : mix cream and red = pink

Did you ever have any blonde on the ends of your hair already ?
Also what is your natural base colour ?

It sounds the hairdresser has used a lift and deposit colour something like Wella Magma or Maji Contrast ,
which means the ends have already had enough lift in the very first colour
applied and need no more lifting ,

what the ends needed was instead of the hairdresser putting all the lift and deposit colour all the way through to the ends

they needed to swap the colour on the mid lenghts and ends to a colour refresher like fudge in red or crazy colour in red which is just pure red tone
and has no lifting ingredients or peroxide in them

however if your hair has lifted to a blonde on the ends it will always fade back to pink no matter how much red you put on it

I dont know what your natural base is ?
but you need to get the ends back to a darkish burnt orange for it to hold the red ,
but it may be too porous on the ends for anything to hold in,

therfore this problem may need a major re think from you

eg cutting the ends off or going back to your natural colour for now,
and then let it all grow out ,

As I said this is only a guess as I do not know your hair and any of its colour history
so you really need to speak with your hairdresser about it all
hope this all made sense :hug: minky x

Thanks for that, I was Blonde for quiet a few years then decided to go back to being a brunette, now I'm dark brown with red highlights so that may be the reason why the colour is fading at the ends of my hair. The blonde may still be in the bottom half of my hair.
I've got appointment booked for Tuesday at hairdressers so I will have a word with them and ask what I should do. Thanks again x x:)

red can be a pain . mine used to fade to pink and im between a 7/8 and that was dark red . a coloured shampoo and conditioner might help -not one for coloured hair - but shampoo /conditioner with red pigments in .

Latest posts

Back