Red that should be violet-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twixabix

Reaction score
Hi geeks I need someone to clear up something that happened to a colour I did yesterday. So I was advised that I needed to start by bleaching up this ladies hair as she had, as you can see by the 1st pic dark tint with old hi lights to remove the dark to achieve the colours she was after in the 2nd picture
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455094974.574215.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455094994.642463.jpg

So I did the bleaching with pastel 4 parts to 1 blondor and I lifted it up to this which I thought would be enough
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455095186.721010.jpg

Still had some red through but as I was doing foils as well I thought it would be OK.
So I put 6.66 loreal and olaplex and bleach with olaplex in foils then I tinted in between with 55/65 20 vol again with olaplex. I did use 1/2 44/65 1/2 66/65 to get the colour as I have done this before and it's been ok but the colour that I got was not what I expected at all luckily the client loved it but I am left feeling very confused.i work for myself and have been hairdressing for over 20 years and I feel very demoralised by this I'm just at a loss to know what went wrong. Luckily she liked it because my next problem was going to be how to correct it. I'm stumped.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455095762.791677.jpg

I know I need to get myself on some colour courses I was trained with loreal colours and I have been trying out wella just recently but there seems to be quite a difference between the two clearly. HELP [emoji120]

I found it :)

20vol? Could that be the problem? Also what is the /65 is it red purple or purple red?

Violet\mahogant red brown

I found it :)

20vol? Could that be the problem? Also what is the /65 is it red purple or purple red?
I did think while I was doing it that I should of been using a lower vol peroxide. Do you think using the 2 different colours to make 55/65 was wrong as well.

You was right to use 20vol as you was using wella x

The target colour looks to be a blue based Violet/purple, rather than red/mahogany purple.

I find apart from Elumen, the permanent tints tend to come out deep Plum rather than a bright purple so if she wanted something more vibrant choose Elumen VV.

I love direct dyes for their vivid tones but they would definitely run into the blonde.

I did think while I was doing it that I should of been using a lower vol peroxide. Do you think using the 2 different colours to make 55/65 was wrong as well.
As long as the ratio was right no, it should be 1part darker 2 parts lighter to achieve the middle colour, as t sparked just said above the colour is red mahogany, I'd be more inclined to use violet violet for this, I don't know the numbers in wella tho sorry

As long as the ratio was right no, it should be 1part darker 2 parts lighter to achieve the middle colour, as t sparked just said above the colour is red mahogany, I'd be more inclined to use violet violet for this, I don't know the numbers in wella tho sorry
Ok so straight away there is one of the answers I always used equal parts to get the middle one. [emoji35] I was going to go with 4.20 loreal as I had that but I went with wella should of gone with my original choice. How annoying

Ok so straight away there is one of the answers I always used equal parts to get the middle one. [emoji35] I was going to go with 4.20 loreal as I had that but I went with wella should of gone with my original choice. How annoying
4.20 would have been a bit dark I think, will you be doing this again? If yea get some 6vv max in goldwell it's a lovley shade & can go straight over the colour it is now :)

4.20 would have been a bit dark I think, will you be doing this again? If yea get some 6vv max in goldwell it's a lovley shade & can go straight over the colour it is now :)
Ok thanks I will look out for it. Thanks for the help it's so nice to have somewhere to get answers from.

Latest posts

Back