Red to blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMack_Ox

Reaction score
Hey geeks needing some advice
Have a client this week who has really red hair ( was coloured with wella 55/44 previously ) she's wanting to lighten it up a lot ( base 9 preferably) what would be the best way to go about doing this as obviously there's a lot of red pigment in it! X

she did that red just once?? or how many times did she do it? million dollar question here, really.
Assuming she did it just once, its no biggie.. bleach her whole head with Loreal quick blue..take it to the level she wants and then tone. I'd stick to lower volumes..I never, ever use 30 or 40 vols.. it takes longer, yes..but it keeps the integrity of the hair. Mix the bleach with 20 vols developer and forget about her for a while..if she wants a 9, take it to a bright yellow..and tone with more blue and if she wants a warm 9..give it some warmth like a 9.13, but you need the ash tone there or its gonna pull out brassy..been there, done that ;)

She's been doing it red for a while lol this is why I'm looking for advice as if she'd dine it the once if be fine but red as we all no is a nightmare to get rid off lol! Xx

Lots of strand tests to see what happens.

A colour reducer might work well to remove most of the tint but you'll still have to use bleach to lift it go a 9.

Remember to manage her expectations and always under promise but over deliver.

Totally agree with AcidPerm about not over promising any thing
I think I'm leaning more over to a bleach bath or 1 part blondor 4 parts pastel for this Lift as light as you can with this
Then go in with back to back pre lightner in foils use a anti oxy conditioner after then tone with something like 10/8 I wouldn't tone with 9/8 to start with as I find the 9s can really darken when the hair is on borderline of being a level 9 anyway hope that all made sense haha good luck Hun let us no how you get on
You could always flood with a flat 8 in ct for the first time if you get it to lightest orange yellow then build up her h/l I'd see how light you can get it before doing your h/ls then go from there it's so hard to advise on colour correction, toning ect when the hair is not in front of you haha x

You're talking about lifting a client 4/5 shades in one day?!
I think this is madness and it's very unlikely that you or she will be happy with the result.
I would be realistic and opt for a few shades each treatment. Maybe say you'll lift her to a 7, then next time aim to achieve the 9....... Bearing in mind you have all that tone to neutralise!
I would be totally honest with her about the scale of this task and cover your back as far as how hit and miss the process will be.
My main issue would be the integrity of her hair.......if you're not totally confident that you can achieve the desired shade, and her hair isn't going to be totally ruined in the process, I wouldn't do it!
Good luck!!!

I'm not looking to lift it 4/5 shades in one day, just over time we would eventually like to reach a base 9! I'd never try lift hair that much in a day lol x

Thanks everyone will keep you all updated! Xc

Juanee seems to think it's no biggy! Full head bleach from a 5 to a 9 toned and jobs a gooden.

she did that red just once?? or how many times did she do it? million dollar question here, really.
Assuming she did it just once, its no biggie.. bleach her whole head with Loreal quick blue..take it to the level she wants and then tone. I'd stick to lower volumes..I never, ever use 30 or 40 vols.. it takes longer, yes..but it keeps the integrity of the hair. Mix the bleach with 20 vols developer and forget about her for a while..if she wants a 9, take it to a bright yellow..and tone with more blue and if she wants a warm 9..give it some warmth like a 9.13, but you need the ash tone there or its gonna pull out brassy..been there, done that ;)

Are you serious?!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeesh yeah i wouldnt just slap a load of bleach on thats going to end up a damaged orangey yellow mess. Does your client want to go neutral tones or would she not mind working through coppery colours into blonde? Might be a nice transition. Colour remover all the way then foils with low strength developer and tone with appropriate shade. Can flood inbetween foils too but if you do choose to use a colour remover and arent used to using them remember to read the instructions very carefully as theyre very specific on what to use afterwards.

No I'd rather foil then out bleach all over as I've seen people do this before and it's turned out patchy etc! I've used a colour remover before so may use the one I have previously used then foil & tone! Will keep u updated x

bleach her head..add olaplex to the lightner, nothing's gonna happen.

That is definitely gonna be my new hairdressing mantra; 'bleach her head'.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Nothing's going to happen? That's a bit of a waste of time!

Had a woman like that...level 6 red..foiled whole head, very thin foils...did that a few times...finally got her to a level 9/10...didn't want to bleach whole head or use color remover...fine hair

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back