Redesigning small treatment rooms-advice requested

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riva

Reaction score
I'm in a narrow listed building and have the opportunity to redesign my 2 treatment rooms. We have quite a few bulky machines- 3 machines with 45x45cm footprint each (rough), trolly in each room, steamer, maglamp- one with a base, another attached to trolley. The end of couch in one room almost hits the wall. Other room is long but narrow. I'm not a therapist so getting the advice of my therapist to see how best to organise the rooms. I will be moving walls and sinks.

At present, one is mostly a wax room and for painful procedures. The other is relaxing/facial type room. Both rooms share the machines when necessary which hasn't been much so far. I've been told that towel warmer should be arm distance so therapist doesn't need to get up from the chair (disrupts continuity of treatment).

What would you do if you could redesign your room (budget no bar)? For a right handed person, where would the ideal place for:
  1. sink
  2. towel cabby
  3. trolley
  4. treatment machines (eg microderm, facial, radiofrequency etc)
  5. bin
  6. maglamp
  7. steamer
Would there be any machines that you would wheel in and out to not create clutter? That's what we're doing at present but its really not ideal.

Also, what's your opinion of a windowless wax room? Seeing as blinds are drawn all the time in any case.

I have machines that I use and that occasionally need to be moved. I think most machine based facials will always have a degree of interruption because of moving them etc. I don’t use a towel cabby or a steamer so can’t comment but a lot is down to the therapist. I have a trolley with a mag lamp that I use for waxing and facials. It has a bin on it. My machines are along the side of the room. It can look a little cluttered but that’s fine as long as it’s clean.
A wax room without windows isn’t a problem as long as it’s well lit. I’ve used one for the last three years.

Vic x

I have machines that I use and that occasionally need to be moved. I think most machine based facials will always have a degree of interruption because of moving them etc. I don’t use a towel cabby or a steamer so can’t comment but a lot is down to the therapist. I have a trolley with a mag lamp that I use for waxing and facials. It has a bin on it. My machines are along the side of the room. It can look a little cluttered but that’s fine as long as it’s clean.
A wax room without windows isn’t a problem as long as it’s well lit. I’ve used one for the last three years.

Vic x
Thanks for that. Its quite a problem combining aesthetics with functionality!

Not having a window where you wax isn't a problem as long as you have good lighting above the couch so you can see the hairs!

I keep some equipment outside my treatment room to maximise space around the couch - for me this is my facial micro current unit, steamer and body wrap stuff.

I actually have my sink outside my treatment room which I know a lot of people wouldn't like but I find it avoids the client hearing the noise of filling/emptying pedicure bowls, rinsing facial bowls & hand washing.

I have my lighting on a dimmer switch so I can easily go from bright waxing treatments to dim massage mode [emoji4]

Just a few thoughts for you...

Not having a window where you wax isn't a problem as long as you have good lighting above the couch so you can see the hairs!

I keep some equipment outside my treatment room to maximise space around the couch - for me this is my facial micro current unit, steamer and body wrap stuff.

I actually have my sink outside my treatment room which I know a lot of people wouldn't like but I find it avoids the client hearing the noise of filling/emptying pedicure bowls, rinsing facial bowls & hand washing.

I have my lighting on a dimmer switch so I can easily go from bright waxing treatments to dim massage mode [emoji4]

Just a few thoughts for you...

Thanks for that. One question...how do you prevent the wax room being sticky- it seems to happen no matter how tidy my therapists are (and they are a tidy bunch)- and move on to it being a massage or facial room? Or are we doing something wrong?

Sink outside room...
Hah! That's interesting. I was of the impression that the sink needed to be "arm reach" distance. We basically got in a spa consultant and what she said was in an ideal setting, the therapist wouldn't need to move but simply to reach out to sink, towel warmer, etc. As the least disruption to the client is what we would be trying to achieve. She's a biggie in her field with an impressive array of fancy spas to her name. Of course there's ideal and then there's reality, which for me is a very small room!

Sink outside room...
Hah! That's interesting. I was of the impression that the sink needed to be "arm reach" distance. We basically got in a spa consultant and what she said was in an ideal setting, the therapist wouldn't need to move but simply to reach out to sink, towel warmer, etc. As the least disruption to the client is what we would be trying to achieve. She's a biggie in her field with an impressive array of fancy spas to her name. Of course there's ideal and then there's reality, which for me is a very small room!

The chap from Enviromental health was quite happy with my sink being across from the treatment room. It wasn't raised as an issue, nor as something to change in the future. License was issued!

I've worked in cubicles where the sink is next to the therapist at the head of the couch and it does splash towards the clients even with the best care! I'm sure the noise isn't relaxing for them either. For pedicure bowl filling up, I'm sure you'd rather have a larger kitchen size sink away from the actual treatment area (unless of course you have one of these fancy sinks on the floor business!)
Every one has their preferences...

Thanks for that. One question...how do you prevent the wax room being sticky- it seems to happen no matter how tidy my therapists are (and they are a tidy bunch)- and move on to it being a massage or facial room? Or are we doing something wrong?

Which parts of the room are getting sticky?

When a client is having waxing followed by a massage I set up the couch with towels as usual, then put the waxing cover over the towels.
I do the waxing treatments first, then take client off the couch, remove the wax cover and then tuck client back up in bed.
As I wear gloves for waxing, I can just strip these off, wash my hands and I'm good to go with the massage.
I dim the lights & change the music over.
I have all my waxing products and equipment on one trolley and all my oils on another trolley so there isn't any stickiness transferring.

My towel cabbie in on the lowest shelf of my trolley. Most machines I keep behind me as I can pull the cables forward x

Latest posts

Back