Refill nightmare :-(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailsharon

Reaction score
hi ,im going to have a moan tonight ! im not long in say about 11pm (its now 11.32) i got a call from a new client wanting her infills done ,when i went to her at 8.15 say 15mins to set every thing up ,she`d had her sculpts done before by someone else and shes had the infilled 4 times (which may i add she didnt say to the end )but maybe as im suppose to be a professional i should have noticed myself :rolleyes:anyway this was my first infill as all the clients iv had ,have just got new set done ,i did the infills as normal but i had to put new white P&W over the sculpted tip as when i was filing them the white was filing off anyway did that but by the end of the treatment her tips were as thick as anything ,i got a electric file but iv never used it should i have filed them own first then rebalanced the white :irked:to be honest with yous i couldnt get away quick enough ,but now shes phoned me saying she wants them filed as they are too thick ,i knew that but as i say i couldnt do anything about it ,im going back 2m please could someone give me a run through of what i could do to fix the thickness of the tiphave adviced her to get them all off the nexted time shes needing a infill as they have been on for ages and i could see a bit of discolouration ,but its just to get the tips thinned out ,then i can run out the door ,sorrry iv rabbited on :cry:

Did you thin them before applying the new L&P?
All you can do is file them to make them thinner, but if you didn't thin them enough in the first place you'll file off the white.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/14905-forever-french-rebalance.html
no i didnt thin them before i applyed the p&w i just used 180/240 file to file the top :irked:
could i file underneath sculpt at the tip to thin it out ,i know thats not the right way to do it but i would have to start again from scratch and to be honest the nexted time shes going to get a new set applyed ,and im not wanting to spead to much time on those ones and make them worse :confused:. soz for being a pest ,not doing very good at the moment :smack:

no i didnt thin them before i applyed the p&w i just used 180/240 file to file the top :irked:
could i file underneath sculpt at the tip to thin it out ,i know thats not the right way to do it but i would have to start again from scratch and to be honest the nexted time shes going to get a new set applyed ,and im not wanting to spead to much time on those ones and make them worse :confused:. soz for being a pest ,not doing very good at the moment :smack:

Hi Sharon, if I was you I'd redo them hun, she is a new client and you want to keep her happy, can I ask why she wants a new set? :hug:

Hi hun
from what I have read , I know that doing them again would take up some time, but this is what I would do,
to get them to look nice and thin and natural again you would have to basicly file off everything you have applied....then plus some more !
I f you file it out from underneath , I cant see how that would end up looking right ,you would still have to take quite a lot of product away, they may end up looking unbalanced then,

I think you may have to start again on this set hun, and put it behind you as experience for next time xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Sharon, if I was you I'd redo them hun, she is a new client and you want to keep her happy, can I ask why she wants a new set? :hug:
hi she has come up to sunny scotland to stay and she had her nails done at a nail bar, when she phone yesterday she asked me to infill them ,but when i got there they seemed ok but when i started filing them down i could see that they were discoloured underneath ,she says she had them infilled 4 times and had them on for about 4 months! she says as well as getting them redone 4 times shes had the airbrushed over as well :rolleyes:.So what im thinking is ,im going to phone her and suggest she get them soaked off and a new set applyed as anymore work done to those one will just make it worse looking and im not wanting my work reflecting on my last job :irked:God the things i get myself into ,i even dreamed about it last night :zzz:

Hi hun
from what I have read , I know that doing them again would take up some time, but this is what I would do,
to get them to look nice and thin and natural again you would have to basicly file off everything you have applied....then plus some more !
I f you file it out from underneath , I cant see how that would end up looking right ,you would still have to take quite a lot of product away, they may end up looking unbalanced then,

I think you may have to start again on this set hun, and put it behind you as experience for next time xxxxxxxxxx

I agree with all of this post.

Lots of nail courses seem to teach how to do a natural nail but don't touch on the pink and white, mine was the same, so of course when you get a client in who has pink & white and needs it all rebalanced you are at a bit of a loss. That Forever French rebalance is a fab tutorial, it will tell you everything you need to know.

But yes, I'm afraid I would put this down to experience this time.

You should normally be making a higher charge for a French rebalance, as well, for instance a normal "infill" or rebalance I charge £20, a French rebalance, which includes everything in a normal infill plus re-aligning the whites, I charge £26.50. I didn't realise this in the beginning and used to charge the same, then obviously I was a bit miffed at being paid the same for doing a lot more work!! :lol: You may know all this already but I just thought I'd say, in case it helped you.

Nurture your lady though, if you can. I was in a similar position with someone about four years ago (although I just held my hands up and said "crikey I don't know how to re-do the whites for you" and she had a red polish that time.) During the next fortnight I practiced like mad with the whites, I rang her up and said I thought I could do the French rebalance for her and she said great. She is still with me four years down the line and has recommended a lot of others. She really appreciated my honesty in the beginning. Hope this helps somewhat Sharon, good luck x

Edited to add after reading your post: if there is lots of discolouration from old acrylic then yes, removal is the only way to get rid of that

im just going to bite the bullet and phone her ,thx guys soz iv been abit of a pain ul be sick of seeing my name up all the time ,hopefully after this il gives yous all piece(well for a wee while anyway )lol:-/

im just going to bite the bullet and phone her ,thx guys soz iv been abit of a pain ul be sick of seeing my name up all the time ,hopefully after this il gives yous all piece(well for a wee while anyway )lol:-/

You are not a pain at all Sharon, good luck and let us know how you get on hun :hug:

hi iv just phoned her shes says that ok as they looked rough and messy this morning :irked: so im going on tues to redo them hope i do a better job after all this ,il need to pratice on my sculpts though as iv not done many iv says to her to soak them off and put cuticle oil and a nail strenghener on her natural nails she was asking what if her natural nails are still discoloured what could she do to help remove this i suggested bubble white any other sugestions ? PART 2 TUES :rolleyes:

babe i just need to say,
if you rebalanced over existing product, and from what you described it sounds like the original application could possibly have been MMA
which could prove extremely difficult to remove ,

Is this client educated in removing enhancements ? especially MMA as she could cause a hell of a lot of damage doing so , if she isnt,
Im forunate enough never to have encountered MMA nails yet , but from what i have learned they mostly need filing off and are very hard to just soak off,

mabey someone who has actually had to remove MMA nails can help a little more ,
but in the meantime i would contact her again , to find out a little more about what the original nails were,
ask qquestions such as
*did the products have labels on (although some nss do stick labels on their own products anyway)
*did the techs carry out prep work ,
*did the products have an unusally strong smell,
*did they wear dust masks (although some professional techs do anyway)
*did they explain the procedure to her

there is so much information on here about MMA , i would get in touch and find out, just to make sure you both know what you are dealing with
xxxxxxxxx

here you go hun read this http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unaturale/2698-mma.html

xxxxx

sorry???
can i just clarify something???
are you getting her to soak off her own nails?
not sure if i read it corrrectly???

I think you could have saved the situation by really thinning down her old product before applying new, but that's academic now.......

if you're going to soak off and reapply, to save time with the soaking you'll really need to thin the old product before soaking, otherwise, if they're as thick as you say, it will take all night just for the soak off, especially if they are MMA.

And, I wouldn't panic about sculpts, I can't believe for one minute if she has been going to a NSS they will have sculpted her nails. If you are proficient in tips, use tips.

Good luck!

sorry???
can i just clarify something???
are you getting her to soak off her own nails?
not sure if i read it corrrectly???
yes ,i did run through how she should do it,i says to her that if theres any problems to just leave them and il do them when i come to do her new set ,i think she just wanted them off a.s.a.p.

yes ,i did run through how she should do it,i says to her that if theres any problems to just leave them and il do them when i come to do her new set ,i think she just wanted them off a.s.a.p.

jmo, but i think to be a professional you should be doing this for her
its all part of the sevice you as a nail technician provide
what happens if you she struggles and is left with a manky mess and then pulls them off???
again jmho

has she got the stuff to do it with?? does she know what to do? did she not prefer to wait for a pro to do it? maybe you should have advised for yourself to do it? :hug:

After 12 years as a nail tech I had to soak off my first ever set of nails that had been done at the local 'foreign' nail salon. GOOD GRIEF! ITS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE.What DO they use? I use an efile and even with that, and acetone it took ages. What a nightmare...
Good luck!

yes i did say to her that i would soak them off but also i would charge for doing so ,thats the only reason that i could think off that she wanted to do it herself but as iv said iv since spoke to her and shes changed her mind ,i think she is having trouble getting them off as she says they are really hard to remove ,so heres hoping all is removed tues evening and a new set applyed hope its all worth it and gee yous all piece for a while :smack::lol:
soz just one last thing :rolleyes: could i do the reverse application as sculpts is out of my comfort zone but one of my friends have volunteered 2nite (mon) for me to do a set on her as my smile lines are really bleep:irked: ???

If you are not confident with your smiles, i would not stress yourself or this client out any further..cheat and use white tips..i certainly would if i were you.
And just have to add..what kind of client calls at 11pm at night:irked:
Personally i wouldn't have done her in the beginning. Good luck xx

Have to agree that you should take them off for her also ive found that with the MMA nails they put a gel based top coat on which obviously needs to be filed off before soaking; which sounds like it will be half way through yours??!
I don't know if you already do this but i put my finger bowl of acetone into a larger bowl of warm water which speeds up the process no end!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back