Refund-client complained about Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
Hi

A week ago a client emailed to ask if we do acrylic removal and then she wanted shellac on top.
I said this is not usually a service we provide but will be happy to do it as a one of.
I booked her in with the other therapist (as i couldn't put her in with me on a day/time she wanted) and then a day later she emailed complaining saying that the other therapist didn't really know what she was doing and she had to tell them how they do it in other salons, she said she left dried acrylic on her hands and she had to buy acetone to remove this, that she didn't completley remove all the acrylic and just painted over with the shellac, and the shellac was patchy and bubbly.

I politely emailed back apologising and explaining that the other therapist has done acrylic removal before but we don't do them often and all salons do it differently (she filed on top then soaked in acetone, them used cuticle knife to remove residue then filed and repeated untill all gone) I apologised again and said I would re do them for her for free.

She then emailed back today ( 5 days later) saying that she has had them re done at another salon and if she could get a refund for the shellac. She as the therapist got most the acrylic of she doesn't expect refund for removal just the shellac.

What do you think I should do? I think as it took our time and product she should not get a refund but I would be happy to give her a free treatment next time(to show her we are actually good at this treatment this is our first complaint)

I have attached photo she sent in her email would appriciate any help and advice.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1412342972.980312.jpg

I would say no refund as you have offered a free redo.

It is not your fault that the client decided to go elsewhere and not give you the chance to correct the issues she has so a free redo is all I would have offered & I would tell her that I would extend the offer of a free redo until 1 months time (meaning that the client has 1 month to come in for her free redo with you - NOT the therapist that she had the first time - so booking early is a priority to ensure you are available to do the redo for her).

Exactly as above-don't give her her money back x

Hi

A week ago a client emailed to ask if we do acrylic removal and then she wanted shellac on top.
I said this is not usually a service we provide but will be happy to do it as a one of.
I booked her in with the other therapist (as i couldn't put her in with me on a day/time she wanted) and then a day later she emailed complaining saying that the other therapist didn't really know what she was doing and she had to tell them how they do it in other salons, she said she left dried acrylic on her hands and she had to buy acetone to remove this, that she didn't completley remove all the acrylic and just painted over with the shellac, and the shellac was patchy and bubbly.

I politely emailed back apologising and explaining that the other therapist has done acrylic removal before but we don't do them often and all salons do it differently (she filed on top then soaked in acetone, them used cuticle knife to remove residue then filed and repeated untill all gone) I apologised again and said I would re do them for her for free.

She then emailed back today ( 5 days later) saying that she has had them re done at another salon and if she could get a refund for the shellac. She as the therapist got most the acrylic of she doesn't expect refund for removal just the shellac.

What do you think I should do? I think as it took our time and product she should not get a refund but I would be happy to give her a free treatment next time(to show her we are actually good at this treatment this is our first complaint)

I have attached photo she sent in her email would appriciate any help and advice.

View attachment 76034

The finish does look a little shabby, I would probably offer to re-do or refund x

I would defiantly offer a redo, those pictures don't look nice at all especially the whole hand shot, the polish application looks very messy and not salon quality. I don't offer refunds but if I'm completely honest if one of my therapists did a paint job like that then I would probably refund which is something I never do x

If you are looking at the picture you uploaded with honest eyes you should be able to see for yourself that it's a terrible job .. I am surprised the client paid at the end of the treatment.

Refund the lady AND offer her a free treatment.

Peace and respect x

That looks like a very bad job and I'd be horrified if I had that in a salon. I would offer a refund and get the therapist re- trained!!

I'd go with the person that suggested the free redo for up to month, this is a great idea, perhaps reassure her you will deal with her personally & have also spoken to the therapist in question (providing you have) about a flawless finish.
However this is a seriously bad application & she is right to be cross, if the lady is unhappy to come back then a refund probably is best.
If only people felt comfortable at the time to complain it would make things simpler, but then you expect a lot better than that from a salon.

Why was all the acrylic not removed in the first place? And that's not a standard of polish I would expect either. Refund or free re-do in this instance I'm afraid and would also recommend additional training for the therapist.

I agree, refund and re-do in good faith as they really don't look great at all :-/

No refund just a redo for me. After all time is money and you have offered to correct them.

To be fair if I left with nails looking like that I would be a bit dubious about getting them re done.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Like another OP has said, I personally would refund and offer a free treatment (doesn't have to be nails). It is often how a complaint is dealt with, that makes all the difference. If she doesn't have faith in your salon to do her nails, you may gain her as a client for a different treatment and in turn you may even find she books in with you when she sees the quality of your work. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would refund in this case I'm afraid and probably offer a discounted treatment for a future booking as a gesture of good will, the reason behind this and please don't take this in the wrong way, the nail paint doesn't look like salon quality in the full image photo.
Hope it works out x

I'd say that you should refund and offer a free or reduced treatment in the future. I think you already recognize that the quality of the work was not good, and I could not blame her for not wanting to subject herself to a re-do.

Of course, you also need to deal with making sure this doesn't happen again - making sure the therapist gets the necessary training and/or not accepting appointments for work she should not be doing.

Last edited:
If I'd received nails like that in a salon I would not want to come back for them redoing and would definitely expect a refund.

I'm really not the best at nails but they are really poor!

Sorry!

I would do anything you can to retain this client. I would refund and offer a complimentary treatment.

It's not what we do wrong that counts but how we rectify it!

Vic

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

The pics dont look good, however shellac finish is only as good as the nails underneath. It wont hide a multitude of sins like acrylic. Also if acrylic done at NSS then it can ge a nightmare to get off. Weve had nightmare before trying to get off, acetone wouldnt touch it. Had to file, acetone, file acetone etc for one an half hours. From now on we wont remove any acrylicsbfrom NSS.

Latest posts

Back