Refund?? on a models nails????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molly

Reaction score
I have eventually plucked up the courage to advertise locally for models to practice on. I put a set of gel enhancements on a girl at a charge of £10 which was stated in the advert to cover my costs. The nails looked brilliant when I left but I got a text the next morning to say 2 had 'just pinged off' and when could i replace them. I gave her a choice of days/times and she text me 4 days later to say that somemore had come off so she just pulled the rest off and could she have a refund!

My mam currently wears these gel nails and she is the most heavy handed person I know and even she only breaks 1 or 2 (and only on her right hand, left hand is normally brilliant) and it normally takes her a week to do that. I've worn them and they lasted for months with no problems. I am totally downheartened and have lost the confidence to do any more in case they contact me to tell me they've fell off. I am at a loss to know how/why they came off but I do know she bites/picks the skin around her nails and I have to say none of my nails have ever 'just pinged off'.

How do I approach this and what do I do in future so people know that they are models and not just getting nails done extremely cheaply?? I feel like I'm going round in a circle - i need more experience so need more people to work on but dont want to have more problems like this with people moaning cause they expect a perfect set of nails. And yes I have a nail trainer but it doesnt help when you need to assess how well your nails last.

Hi Molly,

Please don't get downhearted :hug:

This has been covered on previous threads, but basically, she is taking advantage of the fact you are new. Nails don't "fall off". They are normally knocked or picked off, generally due to the customer having the nails too long or not being careful. As long as you prep thoroughly and reinforced the stress area with a little more gel, you did fine. :hug: :hug:

Did you get the lady to fill out a client record card. If I was you, I would have got the lady to fill out a record card and also sign a disclaimer stating that due to the fact these were model nails at a reduced price, these nails are not quaranteed and all breakage will need to be paid for.

Unfortunately, some people take advantage of the situation. If it took her four days to get back to you, I'd say "stuff her ;) :lol: :lol:

Chin up.

Loux

Hi,
Just make sure you state to models that you are learning and need people to practise on. The charge you are making is for the products used and your time. I don't think these models can accept you to do repairs free of charge, They know that for £10 they will not be getting nails done by a top tech.
We all need to start somewhere and as long as you state the facts then don't worry too much.

Aww poor you! It sounds like she's pullin a fast one to me, i had a similar problem on saturday. I did a lady on Thursday (and she's moaned before saying they don't last when everyone elses lasts perfectly). i told her to ALWAYS wear gloves when washing up/using cleaning products etc etc. she phoned me yesterday to say they'd ALL lifted and two 'just came off'. afetr a bit of a grilling, she admitted that she hadn't used glooves and did 'a bit of washing up'. this really annoyed me because when she 1st spoke to me she was moaning saying she wanted her money back and stuff, when i knew full well there was nothing wrong with the nails... only after i stood up for myself did she admit it was her fault! GRRRR!!!! it gets me mad but hey, you can't worry about these things. If clients don't look after the nails thats their fault not yours.

be happy, don't stress!!!

Dont be too disheartened ... it's easier than you think to tackle this problem.

You say you have advertised for 'models'. If this is the case then the girl should've known she was a model.

All you have to do is to let them know when they sit at the table that the low price of the service means they are volunteering to be a practice model for you.

Then you give them the good news that you have not experienced many problems other than the normal breakages that many experience when they are not used to wearing nail enhancements. That while you might expect anyone to break a nail, you do ot expect them to have any problems with whole nails falling off etc and you have the experience to prove this.

It's like falling off a horse ... you get back up, dust yourself off, and climb on again.

The girl should not get a refund nor should she expect one. The best thing you can do in another set as soon as possible on another paying model. And take the time to explain the above to them.

Now ... pick yourself up and get going again.

Molly hun, I feel for you... please don't let it get you down, yep it's easier said than done BUT you wouldn't have advertised for models if you hadn't thought you were good enough to perform the service.
do another models nails before the rot sets in and you end up feeling worse than you do now.
xxx

Everybody has said it all to you, so I won't repeat it.

All I can say is we've all been there at some point and maybe revisited it a few times.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I agree with all that has been said so far. If it's any consolation I think I can safely say that we have all been in your shoes. I used to be in a bad mood for days if someone phoned up and had a complaint, my family dreaded it. I think it comes down to being a perfectionist and hate getting things wrong (even though I have learnt that 99% of the time it's down to the client and not me). Plus it's the confrontation that is upsetting.

You must make it clear to your clients though that being a model price you cannot guarantee your work, that's the chance they take. Our local college clearly states it on their price list.

However the main cause of nails breaking is that they are too long, so when it comes to the time for clipping the tips down you must be VERY FIRM if they want them longer than you recommend, make it crystal clear that they will have probs if they are like talons. And don't listen to the "well I've had them long before!", because they're not long now and they just won't be used to them.

Take care hun, don't lose heart. Always focus on the positive not the negative, tomorrow is another day!! (my god I'm turning into cliche woman!)

Hiya hon,
I too have advertised for models to practice on. I charged £15. Last week, a similar thing happened to me. This woman phoned me up in a bit of a strop and said that they were a mess after a week and they had split her own nails and that she was 'very unhappy' with them. I was obviously gutted and offered to take a look the day after. Went to her house brickin myself and there was only one that was damaged which was just that it was lifting slightly down the side wall. Anyway, I did the customer relations thing and offered to either tidy them up or soak them off. She went for a soak off and whinged the whole way through that her own nails would probably be damaged blah blah. When they were soaked off (I did this for free), I gave her a quick manicure and used oil etc. I also left her a complimentary nail oil for her inconvenience and re-iterated that she paid a cheap rate on a model basis and that she knew that I am only at practice level. The outcome was that she was happy because her nails were not damaged at all, in fact were better than before, I had taken the time to care enough to go to her home free of charge, and said she has two mates who said they would be models and that she also might have them done again now she is happy that there was no damage done. I think that if you can try and please them so that they do not give you a slating before you've even started properly without them taking the ****, it's probably worth it in the long run. And hey, the rules of marketing say that a customer with problems that you go out of your way to fix, will often become a long term customer recomending you to others because of your professional conduct... Will have to see whether that is right lol. Hope that helps. Let us know how you get with her.
Cheers,
Claire x

molly said:
I have eventually plucked up the courage to advertise locally for models to practice on. I put a set of gel enhancements on a girl at a charge of £10 which was stated in the advert to cover my costs. The nails looked brilliant when I left but I got a text the next morning to say 2 had 'just pinged off' and when could i replace them. I gave her a choice of days/times and she text me 4 days later to say that somemore had come off so she just pulled the rest off and could she have a refund!

My mam currently wears these gel nails and she is the most heavy handed person I know and even she only breaks 1 or 2 (and only on her right hand, left hand is normally brilliant) and it normally takes her a week to do that. I've worn them and they lasted for months with no problems. I am totally downheartened and have lost the confidence to do any more in case they contact me to tell me they've fell off. I am at a loss to know how/why they came off but I do know she bites/picks the skin around her nails and I have to say none of my nails have ever 'just pinged off'.

How do I approach this and what do I do in future so people know that they are models and not just getting nails done extremely cheaply?? I feel like I'm going round in a circle - i need more experience so need more people to work on but dont want to have more problems like this with people moaning cause they expect a perfect set of nails. And yes I have a nail trainer but it doesnt help when you need to assess how well your nails last.

Don't worry too much. One thing I was always taught and that was,"Practice, practice , practice!" Sometimes things go wrong, the main thing is , is that if you can find out what caused it. Then you learn from it.

I remember when I first started, a similar thing happened to me. And I swear I did perfect prep, and no one else was having problems. It turned out that this particular client was on Medication of some sort and was playing havoc with her hair and nails. So sometimes it may not always be you.
What I learnt from that , was, always fill out a client record card out with any medical information they are prepared to give you.
Hope this helps
Jules:Love:

Thank you all for your encouragement. I know I've still got a lot of learning to do but I know from doing my own nails that they only break 'and dont just ping off' if I bang/bend them very heavily!!!

Is advertising for models generally a good idea? I have my studio all ready to go, stock in, water on tap (had sink installed), new table with extractor etc,etc,etc. BUT I am too frightened to get someone I dont know in just in case the nails I do arent up to my high standards!! I am quite proficient at gel but am just learning l&p. My mum says hers are great, but I STILL find fault with them!! Should I just 'bite the bullet' and advertise or will it kill my chances of getting a business up and going? Also how long do you let your models have the nails done at that price?

Hi
Going to do L&P in two weeks so will be looking for models myself, I am wondering what to charge while i get going? I have salon that i can into once I'm fully skilled in L&P, so want lots of models to work on. How did you guys get your models?
Much help needed
C*

Was going to post a thread for some help and advice re getting models etc when I read this one, so thought I would just bump it back up again.

I passed the creative FDFC 2 weeks ago (only just passed the practical bit mind you!), and I'm having HUGE problems getting models to sit for me. The several friends that i have who already have enhancements I wouldn't dare to practice on cos they go to people who have been doing it for years. The family and friends i have who don't currently have enhancements don't really want them - I've done a set on each of them once already and they're not keen for me to soak off and do again (god i hope i'm not that c**p!).

Like someone has said on this thread, I have all the products etc ready to go but just don't have the confidence to advertise and work on total strangers. I was so excited when i passed the course and i feel a bit flat now about the whole thing, sorry to sound so pathetic.:sad: What do I do??!

Also, when I do finally bite the bullet, has anyone got any suggestions for the wording of a leaflet/flyer to take round colleges, gyms etc? I want people to be perfectly clear that I'm still in practising mode and am far from perfect.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hey dont be down, youve just had some brill training. Get some cheep flyers done on your pc and post em out...everywhere. Offer a special rate for models as your are perfecting your speed. (dont put just trained) and you will get clients. just do it...it'll be the best thing youve ever done.

Cheer up hun, we are all here for you. xxx

Hmmm! Low cost nails and then a refund! AS IF!

She knew she was a model, and she paid pittence! (Cant spell!) :rolleyes:

She is trying it on, and we all come across this.

I had a girl have nail art before Christmas, she came back the following day saying her rhinestones, that were extremely secure when she left, had 'fallen' off.

Therefore she wanted a new DESIGN! Basically the girl had changed her mind, picked a couple of her rhinestones off, and thought that she would get a new design foc! :irked:

I knew she was trying it on so I said I would put the rhinestones back on for her, but if she wanted a new design then she would have to pay. She gave in and I put the new rhinestones on. She once again left with perfectley polished nails, and secure rhinestones. :)

One week later her cousin rang me, saying that the polish had chipped, and if I didn't re-do the nail art for free then she would go to the papers and ruin my business! :eek:

I told her she had signed a form stating nails were her responsibility once she left the salon, I had already done them out of goodwill, and that was all I was willing to do. :lick:

She then barged into my salon whilst I had a customer threatening me with the local paper and saying she would be waiting for me one night after work. I told her to go to the paper as all publicity is good publicity. (Whilst secretly pooping my pants!) :Scared:

This harrasment continued for 1 month and over Christmas I wanted to jack everything in because no matter what I did, this girl wouldn't leave me alone! I got latches on my door so sahe could no longer enter so instead she would shout from across the road or bang on my windows. :sad:
She was the complete scum of the earth!

Eventually after some advice I rang the police. She has never bothered me since. (Touch wood!) :lick:

It was devastating, and I was scared about going into the Salon for a while. But this girl did me a favour, now I know when to put my foot down with these sort of clients. (And then ring the police when that doesn't work! :lol: )

Be prepared for this sort of client, but know that they only crawl out every so often, and the good times out weigh them! It's harsh, but it will make you stronger and more determined.

Take Care,

Victoria x

Omg! that's awful isnt it? where do people get their nerve from?? cant believe the lengths some people will go to just for a bit of free nail art!

Thanks Angie - I think i'll wait till i move house in April (can't take much more stress at the mo!) then I'm gonna go for it!

beautifulnails03 said:
Hmmm! Low cost nails and then a refund! AS IF!

She knew she was a model, and she paid pittence! (Cant spell!) :rolleyes:

She is trying it on, and we all come across this.

I had a girl have nail art before Christmas, she came back the following day saying her rhinestones, that were extremely secure when she left, had 'fallen' off.

Therefore she wanted a new DESIGN! Basically the girl had changed her mind, picked a couple of her rhinestones off, and thought that she would get a new design foc! :irked:

I knew she was trying it on so I said I would put the rhinestones back on for her, but if she wanted a new design then she would have to pay. She gave in and I put the new rhinestones on. She once again left with perfectley polished nails, and secure rhinestones. :)

One week later her cousin rang me, saying that the polish had chipped, and if I didn't re-do the nail art for free then she would go to the papers and ruin my business! :eek:

I told her she had signed a form stating nails were her responsibility once she left the salon, I had already done them out of goodwill, and that was all I was willing to do. :lick:

She then barged into my salon whilst I had a customer threatening me with the local paper and saying she would be waiting for me one night after work. I told her to go to the paper as all publicity is good publicity. (Whilst secretly pooping my pants!) :Scared:

This harrasment continued for 1 month and over Christmas I wanted to jack everything in because no matter what I did, this girl wouldn't leave me alone! I got latches on my door so sahe could no longer enter so instead she would shout from across the road or bang on my windows. :sad:
She was the complete scum of the earth!

Eventually after some advice I rang the police. She has never bothered me since. (Touch wood!) :lick:

It was devastating, and I was scared about going into the Salon for a while. But this girl did me a favour, now I know when to put my foot down with these sort of clients. (And then ring the police when that doesn't work! :lol: )

Be prepared for this sort of client, but know that they only crawl out every so often, and the good times out weigh them! It's harsh, but it will make you stronger and more determined.

Take Care,

Victoria x

Very scary :Scared:
Like something out of fatal attraction but without the attraction bit!!!!! :eek:
Think i would have hidden in a corner or got my hubby down to sort her out!!!!!!!!!! :hug:

LindaH73 said:
Very scary :Scared:
Like something out of fatal attraction but without the attraction bit!!!!! :eek:
Think i would have hidden in a corner or got my hubby down to sort her out!!!!!!!!!! :hug:

Hahaha, believe it or not some days Idid hide in the back of my shop because it was really upsetting. However the girl walked passed again today. Now she just puts her head down and walks quickly past. :cool:

Latest posts

Back