Refund or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emjt

Reaction score
I had a client last week for acrylic white tips for her wedding, also for her bridesmaid. I have been doing nails since Feb this year so 6 months and have always applied my tips as I was trained. Up until now I have not had any problems, I have even had clients say to me that they have felt more secure and lasted longer than others they have had. I always finish off with oil or cream depending on the condition of the side walls and cuticles then advise them to keep their hands and nails well oiled.
This client has come back to me today to say that her nails are lifting round the cuticles and air has got under them! she sent me pictures and even though she swears blind that she has oiled them her skin round her nails is so dry it looks like it is cracking so I would say no she hasn't.
She also tells me that her bridesmaids nail still look as good as they did when I did them and has not had a single problem.
She has said she has had nails on before and had them done at the Chinese nail bars where they use cheap un branded products that have harmful chemicals in.
My guess is that she has not oiled them and had her hands for some reason don't like the product I use (NSI) she told me about her money troubles and how she could not afford to get married so has had to borrow items just to be able to do so and all they could afford was to go to the town hall and then back home for a take away! She has asked for a refund even though she agrees that her friends nails are still perfect, that her nails are not liking the product and that she feels cheated that she has paid for something that does not look good only after a week.
I am mobile and travelled to her nearly 45 mins as I was asked by another beauty friend who was doing her hair for her wedding, I did not charge fuel costs which I normally do if out of area and also painted the 2 little girls nails without charge so I personally think I don't need to offer a refund but as I am only 6 months into my business I don't want to come across as unprofessional. Really need to know what others would do in my situation. Thanks in advance

No way they are a week old and she's not followed after care, you carried out the service been paid the rest is up to her,

I'm not even a nail geek!

I'd suggest getting an aftercare leaflet printed and give each client a copy also retail the oil or include in price so no excuse not to use

No way. Don't refund at all. And to be honest if she wants them fixed then charge her and for fuel too. You have already done enough and the fact her friends are ok proves its her problem and not yours.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Definatly don't refund or repair for free! They where perfect when you left her and I'd mention all the freebies she's already got from you before you give her anymore! If people tend not to follow aftercare advice you should include oil in the first treatment price and tell them to keep the bottle once empty and you will refill it for a small charge. This is what I do and I expect every client to be having refills at every appointment coz they shouldn't have any left by then. No excuses then xx

No way do not refund! Some people are so cheeky! Her financial problems are not your concern!

After a week no way if you give her a refund you are admitting that it was your fault and clearly after a week it was her not looking after them that has caused them to lift you stick your ground if you feel you have to give her something then offer to do them for free but she comes to you, I bet she wont travel 45 minutes let us know what you decide to do and good luck hun xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

No refund, no way, no how!

Thank you ladies for your advice and after going back over her initial enquiry she said she was a chronic nail biter and not a typical girly girl who wears make-up and has their nails done regularly!
I have replied to her and said in a professional manner that I am completely confident in my application and product and will not be issuing a refund! her reply was not so nice bad mouthing my ability and has warned me she will be seeking a 2nd opinion from another nail tech, I just hope the nail tech she goes to is not one that will say anything just to get the custom!
I know that there are bad nail techs out there that don't care what they are doing to peoples nails or even have had any training but I do and I KNOW I did them perfect. I do my own nails and I put them through the mill I can tell you and the only problem I have had is getting them to come off. lol
Thanks again. x

Thank you ladies for your advice and after going back over her initial enquiry she said she was a chronic nail biter and not a typical girly girl who wears make-up and has their nails done regularly!
I have replied to her and said in a professional manner that I am completely confident in my application and product and will not be issuing a refund! her reply was not so nice bad mouthing my ability and has warned me she will be seeking a 2nd opinion from another nail tech, I just hope the nail tech she goes to is not one that will say anything just to get the custom!
I know that there are bad nail techs out there that don't care what they are doing to peoples nails or even have had any training but I do and I KNOW I did them perfect. I do my own nails and I put them through the mill I can tell you and the only problem I have had is getting them to come off. lol
Thanks again. x

Let her get a 2nd opinion but your decision is final stick to your grounds x

Is she married yet? If she is then it's done, she doesn't want them on anymore and is trying to get her money back. Obviously a chancer. Have you offered to remove? Tell her you will remove them safely for her if she comes to you for the full removal charge. If she doesn't like that then just ignore her. Much easier to leave her to it tbh. You will have done everything in your power to help her x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I never refund. I am very secure in my work quality.

We are seeing more and more these days that people pay for things, use them, then take them back for a refund. I had a client who regularly boasted that she would buy a dress .. Go out in it, then return it for a refund ... She did it all over town!

I also have heard that after the wedding is over, people regularly take the caterers to small claims court, or the florist or photographer seeking a refund to help recoup costs .... (said in a whiny voice). because one of the dishes wasn't right, the meal wasn't served on time, something was cold, the flowers weren't what they wanted, they didn't like the photos etc etc ... Seems to be becoming a way of life. They usually do not win their cases ... Judge Judy gets them told! Lol. She says, grow up and stop crying like a baby over a cold entrée!! Love her to bits! You can see why.

I'd say, "they were fine for your wedding day (which is why you had them done), your hands looked nice for the photos, what you have done to them since is down to you, madam!"

However ... It is very wrong not to give out aftercare advice ... everyone should always have that for every new client and if they don't buy the recommended aftercare item like Solar Oil ... Well hello! No arguments later when things go wrong. Saves so much bother later if someone 'tries it on'.

Latest posts

Back