Refundable deposit discrepancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBUK

Reaction score
Hi all

We hired an IPL machine from a company which had a £1,500 refundable deposit.

We returned the machine last month and today they have refunded £1236.88. On querying why there was a deduction, this was their reply:

"Hi
I checked there is no deduction the amount was in euros the 1500 pound was converse in euros:
1791 euros at the contract date and we send you 1791 euros it seems the exchange rate changed .
nothing to do with the deposit
regards"

The contract was initially with an English company who went bust and the parent company in France took over our contract. We paid £1,500 to an English bank account.

Our contract states

"The Customer shall pay [COMPANY] the sum of £1500 (one thousand five hundred British Pounds) as deposit."
Nothing about it being converted to Euros.

Am I right in saying they should still refund the full £1,500?

I think you need legal advice x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I would reply that that is incorrect as you paid in pounds not converted to Euros and include a statement showing the amount you paid and the wording from the contract. They need to pay you back the full amount as per your contract.

They owe you the full £1,500! If the Euro had moved the other way, they wouldn't be refunding you more. Just because they managed their foreign exchange badly (by moving customer deposits out of the originating currency), you shouldn't be penalised.

Thanks all. I have emailed them to refund the difference within 7 days. They have read the email but no response yet.

Latest posts

Back