Refunding a client .... what would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petit Basque

Reaction score
I'm currently half way through a course of non-surgical facelifting with one of my clients.

She is an absolutely lovely lady of about 67. Her skin is actually in pretty good condition and she doesn't have masses of lines and wrinkles. Her main problem area is her neck which has sagged considerably.

I've been seeing her twice a week for treatments and really concentrating on her neck and jaw line. Her skin tone and texture has massively improved and I am certain I can see the "shape" returning to her face. She has lost that sort of "heavy" look that mature people get when their skin and muscles slip down their face to their jawline and I really believe I can see a much improved contour to her jawline and general lifted appearance to her neck. I think her face and neck actually look slimmer!

I haven't made any false promises (I'm honestly not that sort of person) and have made sure that her expectations are realistic. So far, she is pleased and thinks she can also see the same improvements. She is going to see her best friend today for the first time since she started her course of treatments with me and really values her friends opinions. Trouble is, I'm now worrying that the changes will be too subtle and her friend (who is very honest and forthright in her opinons!) will say she can't see any difference which I think will really upset my client!

I'm using the Carlton Ultra Visage which I have previously had really good results with and to my trained eye, there are changes to the shape of her face and the quality of her skin but will that be enough for her to keep going?

I know we are only half way through but what will I do if she comes back again this week all disappointed and disheartened and wants to stop treatment? Do I refund her the rest of the course (she paid up front for the entire course) or do I encourage her to carry on?

I'm certainly no charlatan and only want my clients to be 100% happy. What would you do?

Thanks all
PB
x

Hon I don't think you should worry about this until she says something. If she can see what you are seeing then it must be making a difference 😃 x

Hon I don't think you should worry about this until she says something. If she can see what you are seeing then it must be making a difference �� x

Hi jjweller, I think you're probably right but I know she was really looking forward to seeing her friend and getting her opinion and if it's not what she wants to hear then she is going to be disheartened.

I have worked so hard on this client and can see the benefits...ok, she's not going to look 21 again but I really think her skin and her general appearance have improved.

I know we are only half way through.....I just hope she wants to keep going.

The other thing that is niggling me a bit is that her daughter is also a client of mine and if her mum isn't happy then I think I am going to feel a bit of pressure :sad:

At the moment she is really enjoying the treatments and feels better about her appearance and I guess I just don't want anyone bursting her bubble.....

Any other thoughts, opinions or experiences very much appreciated...

PB
x

Your creating problems that havent even occured yet and might not even occur! See what happens before your talking about refunding her, you said she was quite pleased with the results so far and if youve given her realistic expectations i dont really see what the problem is! Dont mean this to sound harsh but thats what I think! xx

Your creating problems that havent even occured yet and might not even occur! See what happens before your talking about refunding her, you said she was quite pleased with the results so far and if youve given her realistic expectations i dont really see what the problem is! Dont mean this to sound harsh but thats what I think! xx

I do agree with what you are saying. However, I think the problem is that my client puts a lot of store by what her friend thinks and keeps saying "I think I'm seeing the changes but my friend will tell me if she doesn't" !! and I'm thinking "uh oh, if her friend isn't impressed then I'm in for a tricky time with my client" ... Talk about pressure lol!

I guess I am curious about what other therapists do if their clients aren't happy with the results of their treatments. Obviously, it's a bit more clear cut if you've made a bad job of waxing someones' legs or given someone a terrible brow shape but with non-surgical facelifting, it's a bit more subtle and in my experience, a person tends to look like a better and fresher "version" of themselves rather than actually nipped and tucked!

Oh well, I guess I will have to wait and see what happens!

PB
x

Ive worked with this particular piece of equipment and I have seen good reults but as you say its with our proffessional eye that we can see it. I do think you should wait and see, im sure youve done a brilliant job at the treatment and youll just have to cross that bridge when you come to it (if you come to it)
How ever IF it did come to that then no I dont think you should refund her, because you have given her realistic expectations you didnt say she was going to look 10 years younger and as long as you are confident with your treatment application then you should be confident enough to say she doesnt deserve a refund. You will hae used your time, products and expert knowledge dont let her make you doubt yourself! Of course all of the above is a wait and see! Good luck Pb xxxx

I think in future that it would be beneficial to take a photo at the begining, middle and end of the treatment course for comparison. Changes that are gradual and subtle may not be noticed day to day but more so over a period of time, which clients can forget. This client obviously regards her friends opinion very highly and I can see your potential worry but it is only your percieved worry at this point. Even if she does not see a difference, what makes you suspect she will ask for a refund?

Thanks all for your replies...it's always good to get a fresh perspective! I have worked very hard on this client and have added in a few little extra treatments and products to get her skin (which was very dehydrated) in much better condition. Like I said, overall she is very pleased and I just really hope that her friend makes some positive comments.

I am curious as to what other therapists would do if a client wanted to stop a course of treatments that they have pre-paid for if they are not satisfied. I am not saying my client will be dissatisfied or will ask for a refund but really just wanted people's experiences and opinions on that particular scenario.

I will also consider before, during and after photos in the future I think. Does anybody else do these when they are carrying out non-surgical facelifting treatments??

I know that some therapists do offer a money back guarantee on any treatment that a client is not 100% happy with but then there is always the question of the clients expectations....were they too high, was the therapist realistic with the client, is the client just a bit of chancer who would try and get their money back in any case???

I believe I have been honest and realistic with my client....so far she is happy but as I said previously, in the case of non-surgical facelifting, the improvements are often subtle with the client looking fresher and more vital rather than tight and stretched lol!

Well, we shall see!

PB
x

Hey hun, i don't do beauty so please don't laugh at my ignorance of proper names :p
My mum had collagen fillers between her eyebrows and in her frown lines, ( I'm seeing this as more surgical than what you are doing) and the areas wernt completely smooth after, a friend of hers said she couldnt see a difference too, but that was because the lines wernt gone.
Anyways, looking back at old photos etc... There is a clear and drastic improvement, but not so drastic that it's obvious she has had it done. Would your client want a perfect neck that makes her face look out of place on it?
I'm sure you will be fine as even after all this time and with people saying there's no improvement my mum is having the lines down the sides of her mouth filled so she dosent have the "puppet mouth" look (like te wooden puppets where you can see lines cut so the mouth will move up and down) and I'm sure to the general public she will look like she's not had anything done but to me and her close friends who see her a lot the results will be a visible but not ott improvement.

What I'm trying to get at is it's not all doom and gloom, sometimes friends just don't take enough notice of what we look like because they see through our skin and bones and look into and see our soul when they look at us therefore not seeing the subtle changes which give us more confidence.xoxo

"What I'm trying to get at is it's not all doom and gloom, sometimes friends just don't take enough notice of what we look like because they see through our skin and bones and look into and see our soul when they look at us therefore not seeing the subtle changes which give us more confidence.xoxo[/QUOTE]

Oh what a beautiful thing to say Tomme! I agree that it's not all about external changes...a significant part of beauty treatments are the internal changes that come about when there is an increase of confidence and happiness...I always say that how people feel on the inside can really affect how they look on the outside!

My lovely client is feeling so much happier about herself....her eyes are shining, there is a real spring in her step and a lightness about her that wasn't there when we started treatment. It's given me such a feeling of job satisfaction and I really want her to get the positive comments that I feel she and I both deserve lol! It's why I went into Beauty in the first place.

Thank you for your thoughts....they really made me smile!

PB
x

yes i would take before during and end pics of courses

i used to do this when i peformed laser treatments for hair reduction, rejuvenation, thread veins and chemical peel courses and i found it very helpful because if i client did dought weather the treatment was 'working' you can refare to photos and also it is pretty amazing to look on the pics as a therapist and see what all your hard work has acheived :)

I have CACI done and a lot of people comment when I've just had a new treatment, they say my face looks like a fresher me!

She is happy with the result, she knows she is only halfway through it. She has told you she is pleased. Take a photo at her next appointment.

I have CACI done and a lot of people comment when I've just had a new treatment, they say my face looks like a fresher me!

She is happy with the result, she knows she is only halfway through it. She has told you she is pleased. Take a photo at her next appointment.

Thanks Hippy Chick....I feel a lot better about things now and will stop stressing :).

Many thanks for everyones' input!

Best wishes
PB
x

i think if you are pleased so far and so is she then that says enough - if you go offering refunds you will open up a whole can of worms and also for future clients. She already seems to know what her 'friend' will say so that says a lot about her she sounds like a very jealous friends who probably envious it might be worth pointing this out x

Latest posts

Back