Refusing to treat somebody

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee_geeee

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking for advice from a legal point of view.
(I'm a salon owner)
Can I refuse to treat somebody without being threatened with discrimination etc?
It is nothing to do with the person's nationality, race, ethnic background or anything like that before anybody jumps to the wrong conclusion

I've tried the "fully booked" approach but they are persistent. This person and their family are causing huge trouble for my family at the moment,the authorities are involved (this person thinks I dont know who they are!) and I'm afraid they are only trying to get in to the salon for a claim or something along those lines.

Sorry for the long winded message, I'm basically wondering if I need to get legal advice before I say anything!!

Thanks in advance!

I feel for you, it seems like it's "A conflict of interest" Other professional bodies are able to use this to easily get themselves out of doing a service or treatment on someone they know, or would rather avoid without being discriminatory.

Have you tried "I am not taking on any more clients" as a get out of the situation?
As a sole trader I can only just say what I have in the past, and that has worked for me.
I wish I could be more helpful, but I do hope you get some help. xx

I feel for you, it seems like it's "A conflict of interest" Other professional bodies are able to use this to easily get themselves out of doing a service or treatment on someone they know, or would rather avoid without being discriminatory.

Have you tried "I am not taking on any more clients" as a get out of the situation?
As a sole trader I can only just say what I have in the past, and that has worked for me.
I wish I could be more helpful, but I do hope you get some help. xx

Thank you for your reply.
I was planning on saying that basically with everything going on I didnt feel it was the right salon for her as it was basically a conflict of interest.
Surely if a client makes you feel uncomfortable you have the right to refuse them though. A lot of businesses have the signs up for " Management reserve the right to refuse" etc etc.
Maybe I'm just being over cautious but it's the sort of person that I need to be very wary of as she has tried a few different cases against people for lesser reasons.

Thanks again x

The Equality Act replaces previous discrimination legislation. It covers specified groups or protected characteristics – age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.

You can refuse to treat any client providing that your reason for refusing treatment isn’t related to a protected characteristic, as defined above.

The Equality Act replaces previous discrimination legislation. It covers specified groups or protected characteristics – age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership and pregnancy and maternity.

You can refuse to treat any client providing that your reason for refusing treatment isn’t related to a protected characteristic, as defined above.

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it!

I’m not a legal person, however is there also an angle under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

The salon owner puts prices on their website/window.

The consumer then makes an offer to buy the services. At this point the salon owner is under no obligation to accept the offer;

Hi,
Looking for advice from a legal point of view.
(I'm a salon owner)
Can I refuse to treat somebody without being threatened with discrimination etc?
It is nothing to do with the person's nationality, race, ethnic background or anything like that before anybody jumps to the wrong conclusion

I've tried the "fully booked" approach but they are persistent. This person and their family are causing huge trouble for my family at the moment,the authorities are involved (this person thinks I dont know who they are!) and I'm afraid they are only trying to get in to the salon for a claim or something along those lines.

Sorry for the long winded message, I'm basically wondering if I need to get legal advice before I say anything!!

Thanks in advance!

Absolutely acceptable. But I would advise not contacting them at all.

You are not obliged to reply at all so if you have a gut feeling then trust yourself.

I wish I had trusted my gut many a time!

You can block their number and if you run into them just say oh no i’ve not had anything, then wish them well and make your excuses and be on your way. Oh no i am off work today so no diary. I’m not working at the moment. Make up whatever you like in person but no need to be involved online or by calls or messages.

If you have online booking just unallow permissions. I have a bit online that says ‘I have the right to refuse treatment to anyone, this is my home and my safety always comes first. There will be no discussion in such cases and my decision is final.’

I’ve had to do it with people that have threatened me, been touchy feely, just been utterly disgusting, rude to me in my home, wastes my time continuously or whatever. I don’t care as long as I’m happy and I do hope you do the same as it’s not worth being miserable or worrying.

As for if they walk in act like you are dopey and just like nope nothing can’t see anything at all coming up, might I recommend such and such salon.

Last edited:
I would politely reply with 'I am unable to book you in. Don't give an explanation.
If they keep contacting you, ignore as you have already replied.

Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate you taking the time!
Unfortunately this person is coming in to the salon to enquire, not over the phone or text and they are very persistent ‍♀️
I'm hoping I put her off coming back by saying I'm fully booked for x amount of weeks but who knows, shes that unpredictable she could be back tomorrow!!!
Thanks again x

Stay focussed and equally resistant to any pressure. Remember, it’s your salon and you’re the boss.

Maybe it’s also worthwhile keeping a note of every interaction you have with them, just in case you ever need to refer back?

Just ignore them and don't explain anything and keep repeating the same thing. She will get bored soon xx

I work from home so it’s a little different but I think the sentiment is the same.
In 16 years I have only had to do this twice.
Due to circumstances beyond your control/personal circumstances or whatever I would say you’re now keeping a list and when you’re ready to accept a new client they will be contacted. Then don’t.
I do feel for you.

Latest posts

Back