Registering business name

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillyflower

Reaction score
Hiya

Can anyone give me advice on registering my business name? How do I do it, what does it entail, etc

Thanks!

Lillyflower xx

Get in touch with these guys:

Companies House

They will take you through it. :)

when I did this for my business' I followed links from my government's web page in the employment/business pages. It's easy, they'll guide you through the process.
They do a nuans search, and there are fees involved for that and for registering the name. I had each of mine completely registered within a few days.

looks like its for limited companies only...is it?

Do you have to register a home based salon name.? Thanks

Do you have to register a home based salon name.? Thanks

Every business has to be registered through companies house, whether you are a sole trader or limited company. I think it is only £10.

Its also £10 to take the name off the company house register if you close your company or change the name. It is a legal requirement.

looks like its for limited companies only...is it?

No all companies, theres a sole trader section.

I registered my business as a limited company as it was a requirement of the health care comission. But its a pain in the arse and there are other costs involved, corporation tax etc. Also, even though I am working alon as I am a limited company I have to do self assessed tax as usual as I am self employed but as I am a limited company I have to employ myself and o tax that way too. I am a self emplyed employer of me being the employee of myself...and yet I am only one woman!

Every business has to be registered through companies house, whether you are a sole trader or limited company. I think it is only £10.

Its also £10 to take the name off the company house register if you close your company or change the name. It is a legal requirement.

This is wrong. You only need to register a COMPANY, not every BUSINESS

There are four main types of company:
Private company limited by shares: This type of company has a share capital and the liability of each member is limited to the amount, if any, unpaid on their shares. A private company cannot offer its shares for sale to the general public.
Private company limited by guarantee: This type of company does not have a share capital and its members are guarantors rather than shareholders. A company is limited by guarantee if the members liability is limited to such amount as the members undertake to contribute to the assets of the company in the event of its being wound up.
Private unlimited company: This type of company may or may not have a share capital but there is no limit to the members' liability. Because the members’ liability is unlimited, the company has to disclose less information than other types of company.
Public limited company: This type of company has a share capital and limits the liability of each member to the amount unpaid on their shares. A public limited company may offer its shares for sale to the general public and may also be quoted on the stock exchange.

Sole traders don't need to register

Last edited:
As said above Sole traders do not need to register, i was confused by this thread as one pperson said one thing then another person said something else SO i rang the company myself and asked, they said that you only need to register with them if you are a limited liability company, you DO NOT need to register if you are a sole trader, so there you have it, straight from the horses mouth so to speak. :biggrin:
Jo..Xx

Thanks for that Jo - it was getting a bit confusing there!

Latest posts

Back