Regular client taking advantage-advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanitybeauty1

Reaction score
I have a spray tan client who has been coming to me since Feb 2013 and she's started to take the mick and I'm not sure what to do..

She likes the latest time possible on Thursdays (6.45) and as that time usually gets booked up fast and she often has to come in earlier than she wanted she decided she would like to book the next four Thursdays in a row for that time.

She telephoned on Wednesday morning saying she needs to change it to that evening instead of Thursday which I was happy enough to do, she asked if I could possibly keep the Thursdays appointment just incase she is able to have it on that day..

I would usually say no but as she's been coming for so long I agreed as long as she lets me know before the Wednesday evening which one she would like to keep. I've checked her card and she's had 26 spray tans with me so she's brought me in a lot of money so I obviously don't want to lose her as a client.

However she didn't call me on the Wednesday I tried to call her but she didn't pick up, I text her and this is the reply I got "Hi!!! So sorry I was in such a rush I forgot! I'm going to have to leave tonight's one as I'm busy! Sorry x"

So not only has she failed to let me know about Wednesday she probably wasn't going to let me know about Thursday either.

I've sent her a text message regarding the next three bookings and I've said I'm going to need to take a deposit by this Saturday to secure the next three appointments. I was very polite but to the point. I don't know why I didn't say she needed to do that when she first made the booking but I was tired and it just slipped my mind.

She hasn't replied to the text so I don't know what to do!! She has always let me know if she couldn't make it, she has turned up late quite a few times but now I just feel she's taking the p**s

I don't want to lose her as a client but I also can't afford to keep these late Thursday appointments booked for her if she's not gonna bother showing up without even letting me know if they could go to someone else.

Do I text her again? Do I leave it? Cancel the appointments? What if she shows up next Thursday after I've asked for a deposit. I'm really at a loss!

Sorry for the super long message I'd just really appreciate some advice xx

Felicity xx

This is so awkward. I would text her one more time and just say something like "hi ... Just checking to confirm you next appointment on.., I have another client interested in that slot but as you have provisionally booked it I need to check with you first. Could you confirm by ... so I can get back to her? If I don't hear from you by ... I will take her deposit. I hope this is ok and you are well. Kind regards . ... X
This will hopefully get her to confirm as well as realise she's not the only client in the world.
Good luck. Xxx

I've had similar problems with a few, thankfully only a few, clients who become so regular they start to expect everything in the salon to go their own way. You do need to be firm and give her ultimatums on how soon before the appt time she needs to confirm or cancel. You could also tell her that you have a waiting list of clients who want the most popular times, i.e. the times she's chosen.

Call her, if she doesn't answer leave a message saying if you don't hear back from her by a certain time you will have offer the apt slot to another client.

I had a client want me to do this and I refused as it is taking the p!ss

Thanks for all your replies. She finally replied after I said her appointments had been cancelled! She's rebooked for tomorrow so if she doesn't turn up ill end up just letting her go. Definitely won't let her book in advance again without a deposit upfront x

Felicity xx

I use Ovatu and it automatically sends a reminder 24 hours before. If you think she won't turn up just text and say please confirm because I have someone else for the appointment. Spray tans are so quick I wouldn't worry too much about it, I get more annoyed if they are having nails/toes done and then I've got a big gap I could have filled. I've got to the point now that I'm so busy I'm starting to pick and choose what I do, hope it continues!!

in my opinion i think you should actually speak to her rather than text- you can make yourself far more assertive that way. You can let them know for a firm appointment that you will book her in otherwise you cannot just pencil her in, as you can always squeeze someone else in. (get a little regurgitated speech ready to use all the time) that way every booking you have asserted that business appointments at which time. then when it comes to appointment day, you assert yourself again that you might of had plans etc and you know people are busy but you would prefer it if they would get in touch beforehand otherwise you cannot guarantee appointments in the future. hths xoxo

Well.. She turned up for her appointment so let's hope that's the end of that :)

Felicity xx

Latest posts

Back