Regular nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessieSparkle

Reaction score
Hello all,
I was wondering and forgive me if this sounds ridiculous... BUT...
I have just set up and have been going a few weeks. I have started out by using Shellac and have all the bits recommended... I thought this is what everyone would want (based more on my own desires as a consumer I think...)
But I have been getting asked for regular manicures using standard polish... which I won't lie... I don't have any of! Since doing my quals and buying the Shellac I got rid of all my old bottled of sticky manky varnish!

I can't afford to spend a fortune, but I also can't afford to miss out on clients, I have found that slightly older clientèle tend to be after a regular varnish as they are a little scared of Shellac (I will convince them, I have already worked on my mum, who initially said, oh gosh, no I can't possibly have that on my nails... well she is tomorrow evening and she is excited!)

Do you think it would be horribly unprofessional to use a high street brand? I personally love OPI but I genuinely can't really afford this outlay at the moment... what are you guy using and what works? SO many brands state long wear etc etc etc but they rarely live up to the hype.

Any recommendations hugely appreciated! Also, base and top coat brand recommendations... HELP!

:eek:
xx

CND Vinylux is great and it's really reasonably priced. It has fast dry time and lasts a week so has loads of advantages over other polishes. You can get it from Sweet Squared xxx

have you looked at cnd vinylux. seems an obvious fit as you are already using shellac. think you will be plesantly surprised by the price especially when you factor in no base coat is needed.

Vinylux

I have converted to Vinylux because I love the quick drying time, but I still have a good selection of Mavala polishes and I just love them! Super little bottles which mean that you can have a good selection of colours and I love the quality of the polish. Really lasts long.
I have just bought some at my local wholesalers 3 for 2!

I think it looks more professional to use only one brand and if it's one that isn't available in Boots it's even better.
I'm trialing Vinylux as I don't know anyone else round here who does it and it's not expensive compared to OPI, China Glaze etc.
If I couldn't go with that I'd go with one of the ones available from wholesalers like Sinful etc which are really inexpensive but can look better to clients than, say, No.7, Rimmel etc which are sold everywhere.
Those are my thoughts x

Thank you :) I have read a little about Vinylux but I did expect it to be rather expensive considering I probably won't use much, but realistically I should imagine I will only use a few core colours, a red, a pink and french colours :) Thanks again, will look into it x

Thank you :) I have read a little about Vinylux but I did expect it to be rather expensive considering I probably won't use much, but realistically I should imagine I will only use a few core colours, a red, a pink and french colours :) Thanks again, will look into it x
VINYLUX is your obvious choice and CND have been amazing with the price ... Plus it is dry in 8.5 minutes!!

I don't think women are frightened of trying Shellac ... But many women so not want to commit to a 2-3 weekly service .. THAT. Is what will put them off having a UV polish. So ..... To be able to offer them a brand new polish choice and formula that they can (and will) BUY from you is a real boon to your business. The colours are superb, the shine amazing and the dry time is unequalled.

Xmas is coming ... Get some in and be prepared to sell loads of it because the ladies LOVE it. It's not a huge investment and I think you would be crazy not to. :D

Thank you :) I am going to get some. I have decided! I think you are right, I shall make little Christmas parcels with some solar oil I think and sell them along side manicures.

Also, my client today who was 'frightened' of Shellac had previous had nail enhancements and that was her fear. Previously she had acrylic extensions and the top coat was SUPER GLUE!! She also had Acrylics that resembled dragon claws and gels that had stripped her nail beds.
Once i talked her through Shellac, she was keen, yet apprehensive but walked out with a HUGE smile and I got an extra £5! :D
I am loving my job on days like today!

Latest posts

Back