Release of the big toenail?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahlou06

Reaction score
Ok so I'm really going to confuse you guys but here I go...

I had a lady in today & she was dying to know if I did this 'procedure'.

She used to have pedicures in America where the ladies would soak the feet for ages then with cuticle nippers (or that's what I hope she meant) would slowly
nip down the outer side of the toenail until a long thick line of.... Something?! Would slip out from under the nail.

Not cuticle?

She said this was amazing and would take the pressure of her big toenails, as she lives in high heels?

Does anyone know this procedure?

I'm really curious now!

Thank you :)
Outer side u

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I'm really going to confuse you guys but here I go...

I had a lady in today & she was dying to know if I did this 'procedure'.

She used to have pedicures in America where the ladies would soak the feet for ages then with cuticle nippers (or that's what I hope she meant) would slowly
nip down the outer side of the toenail until a long thick line of.... Something?! Would slip out from under the nail.

Not cuticle?

She said this was amazing and would take the pressure of her big toenails, as she lives in high heels?

Does anyone know this procedure?

I'm really curious now!

Thank you :)
Outer side u

It sounds pretty similar to removing an ingrown toenail but in NO way are you covered by your insurance to do anything like that unless you are a licensed chiropodist or podiatrist. I doubt the lady who did the procedure was either unless she had the letters after her name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh i am sorry never heard of it, its really made me feel a bit ill thinking about it:eek:

Its definately nothing we should be attempting and whoever did this for her i bet shouldnt have done it either!!

Just out of interest, have you tried googling it, just to find out what it is?

I just tried googling it for you, but to be honest some really vile proceedures came up, so whilst i am curious..i am not looking!

Hi

As you mention she wears high heels I would suggest she is prone to ingrowing toenails and by doing a procedure like you describe it would/should reduce the pressure, esp if it is lifted out as well, i ease ingrowing toenails and offer preventative treatment and advice BUT heels are heels and us women love us heels

I know exactly what she's talking about. She's talking about removing the hardened skin that's built up along the outer edge of the toenail all the way down into the lateral fold of the big toe nail.

Once you start doing this, you have to continue it. It's a never ending process. The skin comes back harder and thicker than last time.

Most true nail professionals would never do this. Some NSSs, however, tend to follow their own set of rules.

I'm assuming this is akin to removing the skin which people think is cuticle? (eponychium? I can't remember...) x

I'm assuming this is akin to removing the skin which people think is cuticle? (eponychium? I can't remember...) x

Clearly you are confused and can't remember.

The procedure is not akin to removing CUTIUCLE which is non living exfoliated skin cells that sit on top of the nail plate.

Eponychium is living skin surrounding the proximal, (Matrix/lunula) area of the plate, which Should never be trimmed or cut.

Not at all like the procedure described.

Thank you so much guys for all your answers.

I did think what on earth are you talking about lady?!

I'll say to her it's a chiropodist procedure & I'm not insured to carry out such treatments.

Latest posts

Back