Religion - is yours important? Do you have an opinion?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classixuk

Reaction score
When in training we are told to never discuss religion or politics with our clients.

But we are each other. We are not our clients.

If you feel uncomfortable discussing this please press the back arrow now and move to a different thread where forum life will resume as usual. If you don't, and feel offended by future replies, you really have no right to complain. I can't predict what they will be.

I went to a Catholic school and attended mass every week. I really find it hard to believe for one second that what they taught me is the word of the one who designed all this, rather their words linked to their own insecurities and ideals.

I have a friend who is Jewish (and slightly crazy). She recently made Alliyah and is convinced her real place of belonging is in Israel. Since she got there she refuses to believe that the Palestinians have any plight at all in Israel itself. I pointed out that the native born Palestinians have no right to vote, but she said this should only be right in a country where "they don't belong".

It surprised me how she has forgotten she only moved there herself for the first time less than 4 years ago and has been there less time than these so called invaders?

So can we debate this in a way we usually don't do with our clients? Does religion matter? And if so, to what degree do you follow your religion? What does it prevent you from following or supporting?

Thanks.

I am jewish my religion means the world to me. I live within a tight knit loving community where we are taught to give and be the best we can beBut I don't think the Israel debate is something for salon geek
I think what the news portrays on Israel is warped and misunderstood

I'm catholic grew up going to mass every week don't go as much now but still make an effort to go if I'm staying at my dads, my dad brings my son to mass when I'm home every other weekend, I like to believe there's a heaven not sure bout the rest I know that doesn't make
sense I sometimes bring josh to mass myself i like the idea of him to go to mass like i fid and i like doing it for my dad but i wouldn't go religiously every week if dat makes sense mass myself

Im Sikh its a very modern religion where everyone is equal, its from a form of hinduism- basically everyone is equal, no gender is better, you respect everyone elses religion, and you believe in ONE god. You can marry who you like, and well drink, smoke, sex whatever. Very cool and modern! You get the baptisted sikhs that wear turbans, but some still drink etc.

Everyone is different but the only person to judge you is yourself and its more of a spirtual understanding. Morals are something else, and culture is entirley different. Social classes are what you see in many religions.

Im not religious at all but i respect everyone elses relgions and i think if you have faith its, good, everyone gets in at different times and it shouldnt be forced upon you. (door to doors take note)

I went to a Church of england school growing up and i fully understand other reglions and cultures, but i experience so much ignorance its crazy! Everyone assumes if your asian you must be a muslim. the amount of times in salon i must have been asked am i fasting and because im muslim im "apparently" not allowed to drink! (i love to get wasted!) however i feel like i have to justify my muslim friends that also know how to have a laugh, some drink smoke do everything normal people do, but because of religion, people pre empt that they must be a certain way.

When did people forget about the person and start getting on to whether they believe in faith or not? xoxo

I'm catholic. I've got friends and family of different religions.

I only really go to church on ash Wednesday, palm Sunday etc. Although when I had my son it was automatic that he'd be catholic.

I'm definitely not a poster girl for religion. I'm living with and have a baby to a man that is NOT catholic. I'm not married to him, I do use contraceptives and would get divorced if I had to. I also have lots of gay friends and believe in gay marriages.

I think religion is personal and we should respect peoples beliefs. No one has the right to tell people (of the same religion or not) what they should/shouldn't believe in or how they should/shouldn't act x

I'm atheist. I refuse point blank to enter churches. Religion is simply a way of controlling the masses through fear.

I'm atheist and very proud of it. I don't need religion. I my opinion religion, praying to a "God"is for weak people.
I was brought up as a catholic. I used to go to a mass every Sunday.
When I was "religious" I was thinking very little about atheist... Now is the other way around and will stay that way.

I'm free and very happy! :)

I'm atheist. I refuse point blank to enter churches. Religion is simply a way of controlling the masses through fear.

I don't think I go to church through fear of god, but it could be through fear of my nana when she finds out you've not been ;)

I think people should behave pleasently to each other because it is the "right" way to be.... Not because they don't want to burn in hell. Mutual respect is the key. If you wouldn't want it to happen to you, your family or you loved ones... Don't do it to somebody else! Seems simple to me.

I am appauled how some people blame their religion for their bigotry, or the way the main religions teach that all other religions are wrong... And the war and wrong doings that follow.

I also hate the way people cherry pick. Eating shellfish, cutting your hair and homosexuality are abominations. But the first 2 are okay today, however the last is not?

The way the universe works is so much more fascinating than the simple "god made it" explanation. The big bang theory & the theory of evolution are so much more mesmerising than any creationist story.

I do quite like faith as a coping method... Much better in my opinion than drugs or alcohol etc, so I do appreciate that it has helped many through bad times.

Personal faith = okay, organised religion where it affects other people = not okay.

Last edited:
I'm not a religious person nor an atheist but I am and always have been interested in the variations, beliefs and ways of all religions.

I took a GCSE in RE at school for this very reason and loved the lessons, I think for schools that are pushing children (secondary age) into compulsory taking this subject instead of taking it through an interested desire to know more is having a detrimental affect on people accepting and treating anyone with a different faith with the respect they also deserve.

I follow life, love, respect, trust, truth and honesty.. And they count for every single person in the human race.

I went to a catholic primary school and secondry school very catholic I stood up in my re lesson and told my teacher my way of thinking that there was no such thing as god and it was a load of rubbish to which she was most upset and kicked me out of re lol.

I was chritened had my first holy communion I think it was just forced on me at school and when I got to secondary school I had had enough to be fair.

I have since secondary school found my place in thinking and I do believe in something im not sure I believe about a man with a long beard who changed water into wine lol but I believe there is something.I have gone through many heart ache and I chose at the time and now that to believe in something call it a coping mechanism or what ever you like but it's helped me through some pretty scary,sad,hard times.If when I'm dead and gone there is nothing then I won't be disappointed because I'll be brown bread and not Know any different.

I had sex before marriage,I had 2 children and wasn't married,I used to drink,I smoke I do what I want but treat otheres with respect and respect myself.

My daughter goes to a catholic school not because it's catholic but because it's the only school in my area but it works well because my 7 year old is very religious indeed bless her and that's not because of the school she has just always been interested and I would never stop that it's her decision entirely the only thing that gets on my nerves is that she does lecture me lmao.The only thing I have decided on is to not get her christened I will leave it up to
her when she's older to make that decision for herself.

I know right from wrong I know how to treat otheres and I think that's all that matters.xxx

This is exactly my view.

I cannot understand why people do unusual things because their religion requires it of them. And right there is the first evidence of control.

Certain behaviours are deemed evil.
Certain foods are not allowed.
Certain rituals have to be performed daily, several times a day, or weekly.
Other religions are not acceptable to 'yours'.

I would accept that without the confines of a set of 'commandments' the world would be in chaos.

I was bought up Catholic. One of these controlling rituals was going to confession. So at 8 years old every single Saturday I had to traipse up to the church and confess my sins. On the way there I would have to make-up some things to tell the priest ... i was rude to my Mum (I wasn't) I pinched my sister (I didn't) I didn't do as I was told (I did).

I came out, said my 10 Hail Mary's and came back the week after and said the same stuff all over again. How much does an 8 year old do that needs absolving by another human being?

Then Mass on Sunday. Has anything ever been invented that is as boring to a child? I do not think so.

There are only two 'things' about religion that I like (if I accepted that God exists) -

1. God made man in his own image ... so when I look in the mirror I am God. When a Chinese lady looks in the mirror she is God. When a Black lady looks in the mirror she is God etc.

2. Everyone is praying to the same 'person/being/entity.

It matters not what name each religion gives to this deity. Even a small tribe in a dense and remote jungle praying to a carved statue are still praying to 'the same entity'.

Lots of religions. One 'God'.

People make it silly because people want to CONTROL.

Peace and respect to all religions, why can't individuals respect others views. Jeez, no need to kill for it. Especially as one of the commandments, not to mention a LAW, is thou shalt not kill.

Peace and respect.

xx

Just to add I don't go to church either only for funerals and weddings.

I used to go with my nan and grandad but my grandad made it fun we would have a giggle lol.

I used to have to go to church at school and would more often than not nod off throughout lol.

When to confession once and told the priest he said basically do you feel bad with what you have done I said no and that was it lol.

Mine is and I always have an opinion :) I was brought up Catholic but I tend to be happy to go to nearly any Christian church as long as they don't bore me.

I do not however believe religion causes wars, I believe people have free will and they make wrong decisions and point the finger at religion.

However OH and I had a discussion after watching the Stephen Nolan show ( I dont know if you get it in England?) about legalisation of marriage for gay people in N.Ireland. Now I voted that I was all for gay people to be able to get married and have the same rights as straight people HOWEVER, I didn't agree they should be able to get married in a church where the bible taught that man should only marry woman. I didn't see why a church should be forced against its will to marry people. He on the other hand as a half hearted believe and not a lover of the church believed everyone should be able to get married in church.

Now that was a heated conversation I had an opinion on based on religious views. The show then started going down the route of "i dont believe they should be able to have children as they need parents both male and female" and at that point I just roled my eyes and moved on because both OH and I believed it was total codswallop and what persuasion your parents have sexually makes no difference to them as people and how they will bring you up :)

My religion is...If I feel guilt I know I've done something wrong, if I don't then I don't have to worry about anything. I believe in a God...I think he's planned out everyone's life etc

I completely disagree in that confession business, a pedophile can go to confess and all is forgiven and forgotten oh and the priest will even keep it a secret for them...ridiculous.

Also how these apparent religious people moan at people for smoking etc...Is religion not about respecting everyone?

Also with gay marriage, I don't understand where in the bible someone said this was 'wrong' I thought God respected everyone...?

I believe. And not through fear or weakness, which I think is a very harsh and ignorant opinion by some.

You never know but sometime in your life you might actually turn to religion.

When I say I believe I like to believe that there is a heaven and I will be reunited with family and friends. You may see this as silly, buts its what I like to believe. Is this wrong??

I don't think anyone is stating a 'right' or 'wrong' opinion, this thread is just that...other people's opinions.
I'm with persianista, I don't believe in anything religious, I believe that my dad is my guardian angel and is always around me in spirit. A friends ex once tried telling me that he's not, and it's the devils work sending demons to trick people, tried backing this up by telling me that all the disasters in this world were predicted in the bible (twin towers, world wars, etc) to which my response was maybe some messed up twisted people are just recreating these events, or maybe the bible was actually written by the devil to try and trick people?
But that's just my opinion

I am an atheist, but have no issue with anyone who is has a faith, because to me the reality is you are defined by your actions, not by what you say or claim to believe in.

If you do the right thing, you are a good person :hug:

I am a catholic, christened, holy communion and confirmed. Sent to both primary and secondary catholic schools.

I don't believe in god and never will. I respect others people faiths and their need to follow a god but it isn't for me.

My children attend catholic school as it will be their choice whether to believe or not and I will not push my views on to them.

My father in law is training to be a deacon at the moment and he knows not to preach to me as I will not listen. My daughter goes to church on a Saturday with them, she doesn't really understand "religion" she goes more for the tea and biscuits and chips after :)

It will be my children's decision to follow the catholic faith, that's why I sent them to a catholic school and yet can make there opinion on it when they are old enough.

Whatever the religion, if it keeps people on the right track then that can only be a good thing but if there are people who don't believe then that doesn't make them bad people.

Being a genuinely good person all year round whether they are a believer or non believer surely is the most important thing. There is no point going to places of worship day in and day out and not being good to those around you.

Be good, trustworthy, loyal and show love, kindness, warmth and respect and the world would be a more beautiful place to live in and remember it is not fair to judge anyone else. It is not our right to do so xx

Latest posts

Back