Relocating, help me by sharing your experiences.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angel fingers

Reaction score
Who has experience in relocation ?

I am about to move location to somewhere rural about half an hours drive from my current location.
i currently have a studio at home where i see clients and give one to one tuition. I have a classroom on a nearby business park where i teach larger groups. I also have a small mail order nail shop.

The online shop and The teaching side will be ok i think, as for students to come along for a 1-1 it doesnt really make all that much difference where i am and i will continue to do my group sessions in the current location.

My clients however will be inconvenienced considerably more especially the ones who come every fortnight. Many have told me that they will follow, but im very aware that some wont be able to give up the extra time and cost involved with my relocation.

What i wanted to ask was if anyone else had been in a similar position and how it went ?
Additionally the area im going to is much more affluent and much less competitive, i think if i take on new clients from the area i will raise my prices and wanted to know if anyone else has done the same.

I think you should rely on yourself and the things that got you to where you are today in your business. Those same things will make you successful wherever you go. Your expertise, business skills and how you treat your clients.

Another's experience to me, is irrelevant as they are not YOU and may not have the same characteristics as you.

If your prices need altering then the time to do it is immediately when you relocate. Good luck.

I agree with Geeg, you are what makes the business, and if someone wants to continue seeing you then they will travel (within reason) and support your decision. I had a client drive 2 1/2 hours when they moved house - just so they could get their nails done with me still. Granted this didn't last as it was a LONG way every 2 weeks, but the point is she tried.

I think you can make a go of anything - anywhere, as long as you put the work in hun.

Good luck :0 x

I agree with the above posts. It's YOU that makes it what it is.

My BFF's daughter has driven 3-1/2 hours, one way, for a haircut!

Best of luck! :)

I relocated from London to Chester in Sep 2010.

Had to say goodbye to all my London clients and start from scratch up here.

It's been really hard going for me personally and only now, I'm starting to get more 'known' in the area.

I wouldn't worry about a half-hour move at all.

I moved from an affuent city I grew up in 40 mins down the road to a huge town... I changed my price cards, website and started not knowing a soul, and after 3 months the salon I moved to ( was renting space) told me they were moving locations coz of a huge rent rise! grrr! so again I started from scratch, been resliant from the knockbacks and now I have my own salon.

It was only 40 mins but felt like miles! I still do some bridal work back at 'home' but i have to charge a call out fee and in these times clients try and keep costs down so they tend to look closer to where they are. Plus my regular mani/ pedi/ lash clients dont want over an hour round trip for essential treatments every two weeks..

I wouldn't worry Susan you will make up any that you lose within time. You will probably find that most of them follow you anyway, at least for the first few months, giving you time to settle in and find your feet.

Are you going to run 2 lots of prices? One for your older clients and another for the new area?

Is there any way you could offer treatments in your classroom for those who do not want to travel? Maybe choose a day or two and you travel there. This could always be an option, maybe, until you really get going in your beatiful new location?:wink2:

Thanks for your posts, its encouraging.

I had thought of perhaps renting a table in my current location so i can service those who cant travel further.

But to be honest i think im looking at it more from the point of not letting them down rather than from not earning any money. I feel guilty for inconveniencing them. I cant drive either so i would be relying on lifts.

And truthfully a bit scared to take a drop in income when weve taken on a more expensive property.

If i do new people from the area i will definately make it more worth my while with a higher price. But i would keep my current price for the customers that follow me.

Latest posts

Back