Remembering where you came from

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee32

Reaction score
Guys, here's a thought provoking topic of the week or even the year :lol:

In light of recent threads where newbies have been upset or disappointed by answers they have recieved from us oldies, this isn't a new thing its goes on all the time.

I was thinking today what was one of the first question I ever asked on here and I think it was " What does L&P stand for"?
Now, for me now that seems like a really stupid question as I have been doing this for nearly 5 years but at the time I felt it was a really serious question as I kept seeing L&P in nearly every thread I read, and I didnt want to be missing out on something fab.
So come on guys what were your first questions ever asked on geek?.
I know for me if it wasn't for the help and support I have gathered from this site I wouldn't have the wealth of knowledge or be where I am today. Or even have as many special "Geeky" friends who, in their own way have added enrichment to my life and will always have a special place in my heart for either the help and support they have given or just for being them.
Just think about how you reply to a newbies post and remember........ Its a scary world out there when you dont know the abbrieviations, or the lingo. What may seem like a really mundane or idiotic question to you, may be the "Be all and end all" question and of utmost importance to a newbie.
If you take anything away from this thread please let it be this
" Education is about sharing" and is the platform that we build our successful careers on.
:hug:
Jen xxxxxx

Last edited:
Completely agree with what you have said.

I can't actually remember, but I think my first thread was something about was hygiene important. I was sick of going to other salons - hair, beauty and nails - and seeing really bad practise such as double dipping wax spats, not sanitising etc.

Not much debate on the my thread but I doubt many people would come out and admit to being slovenly...

It is such a shame that the older posts get archived and we can only see the last 200 I think.

It would be great fun to go back and read our very first post LOL.

It is such a shame that the older posts get archived and we can only see the last 200 I think.

It would be great fun to go back and read our very first post LOL.

I know hun, went through mine and it only went back as far as July last year :irked: would probably cringe with shame now if I ever saw what some of my first posts contained lol
Jen xxx

Took me forever just to work out what BTW and HTH were on about :green:

My first posts were probably about blending tips, the bane of many a student techs life.

Closely followed by a lot of questions nosying about what sold best in other peoples salons and what marketing techniques they found useful.

I dont mind newbie questions, even the simplest ones if its somebody who honestly wants to know so they can get better.

So agree with all comments. We only learn from what we don't know, not what we already know and we should not be embarrassed to ask. Respect to all.

I'm still new to the trade. I still have loads of questions, but try to offer help and advice where I can :)

I like this thread, it did make me look back to my first posts... i dont think they were too bad!
I have used the search tool from the beginning, its my favorite feature on the site- i spend hours sometimes searching things. (yes i have too much time on my hands!) so i think this has saved me from needing to ask some silly things.

If other newbies would utilise this facility more then they may save themselves what they may later think is a silly question or an answer they dont like from a fed up 'old geek' as often its been asked a hundred times before.

I do however think some answers to these questions can seem a little abrupt at times but then I guess it also depends on how the reader chooses to read into an answer.
I like to do (write!?) to others as I would like to be done myself, so wouldnt answer in a manner I would not like someone to do to me.

Great thread, I agree with everyone.
I really cant think what my first post was, I would probably cringe at it now :rolleyes: so do agree people shouldnt be so harsh on newbies.
I do find it very annoying though when people ask a question without doing a search first & when newbies come on here with their college questions :mad: although I will gladly help anyone as much as I can, I dont think we should answer others homework!
I have lost count on the times I have replied with "If you do a search, you will find plenty of info on this" I ALWAYS do a search first before starting a thread.
I do think some post may come across a little abrupt too, thats why I think by adding a :hug: or xxx makes it more friendly & hopefully wouldnt offend anyone. x

I can actually remember what my first thread was which was "Can someone tell me who the trainers at Leeds CND are" now if that aint a mundane question i dont what is. But it was answered politely and promptly by Gigi and I remember feeling made up that my question was answered by Gigi.

I agree that its really dissapointing when newbie questions are responded with derision. People tend to forget that what is obvious to you is complicated or unknown to others and I think this thread is a good way to put this back into perspective.

anne xx

Hi great thread! I remember at college I was always the one asking questions, they may have been silly ones, or something that was going to be covered later in the cource but I managed to get student of the year..despite, but maby BECAUSE of the constant questions. Yeah I panic when I dont know stuff, and I remeber asking lots of questions on the forums, and I still do if I cant find exactly what I want, if you dont ask you dont get! Also another thing is, if you find a search about the subject you want and the thread is say a few month or even years old then this industry is so mega fast moving, I dont think it hurts to ask a similar question again, becuse the answers may have changed. There are so many knew techniques and products coming out the answer could have completely changed from the last thread. I have learnt so so much through salon geek, and am happy to give back, even if it is answering similar questions over again. I think as you evolve as a tech and as a geek you can give back to the sight what you took at the start. An answer you got could be the answer you give to a new tech that will help them along the way..xx

What a great thread!

I would cringe if I could see my first posts, I know one of my first posts was of me asking what p&w's were!! And that was AFTER I had 'done nails' at college!

I love this site!!

Thanks guys, I just feel that some people need to remember where they started from and stop being so hasty in their replies. so glad to see so many of you feel the same way
Jen xxx

Great thread!

Years ago we used to have a Thread of the week poll.
The 3 threads that had the most posts usually were the three that we then had to vote on for out favourite.

WELL....one week (in my opinion) all 3 threads were on very trivial subjects, probably stuff that would be blogs now or in chit chat.
Therefore I posted that surely none of these threads were worthy of being thread of the week :o

Also in those days we didn't just give geeks rep for good posts we had another button for Negative rep !!! :evil:

Yes you've guessed it I got a negative rep :smack:

The person who had neg repped me also posted that the geeks who had started the threads deserved a bit more respect as the threads obviously meant something to them, even if they didn't to me.

Although this was about 6 years ago...my face is still burning with shame as I type this!!

It certainly made me start thinking a lot more about my posts and how other folk would read them though!!

I am still not perfect, and it can be more difficult as more newbies join and some don't get what I mean as humour, but I do always strive to respect everyones opinions, and I do think that, that neg rep made me a better geek.

(Thanks Bagpuss :hug:)

Last edited:
Brilliant thread!

I remember my first post - I missed off some info and got myself in such a muddle and confused everyone trying to help me. I was fresh out of college and in awe of most people on here. So I felt like an idiot and didnt post for quite some time after that, for fear of sounding stupid.

However this was also my own paranoia as much as anything. For a while I then just searched and read other posts with interest and still learnt loads. The problem with written word is - you can't control the tone of voice that others read it in!

I have slowly built up my confidence to reply to a few threads and to be honest I dont know where I would be without this site! :hug:

I am still not perfect, and it can be more difficult as more newbies join and some don't get what I mean as humour, but I do always strive to respect everyones opinions, and I do think that, that neg rep made me a better geek.

And thats why I lurve ya hun warts an all,:lol::hug:

Guys, here's a thought provoking topic of the week or even the year :lol:

In light of recent threads where newbies have been upset or disappointed by answers they have recieved from us oldies, this isn't a new thing its goes on all the time.

I was thinking today what was one of the first question I ever asked on here and I think it was " What does L&P stand for"?
Now, for me now that seems like a really stupid question as I have been doing this for nearly 5 years but at the time I felt it was a really serious question as I kept seeing L&P in nearly every thread I read, and I didnt want to be missing out on something fab.
So come on guys what were your first questions ever asked on geek?.
I know for me if it wasn't for the help and support I have gathered from this site I wouldn't have the wealth of knowledge or be where I am today. Or even have as many special "Geeky" friends who, in their own way have added enrichment to my life and will always have a special place in my heart for either the help and support they have given or just for being them.
Just think about how you reply to a newbies post and remember........ Its a scary world out there when you dont know the abbrieviations, or the lingo. What may seem like a really mundane or idiotic question to you, may be the "Be all and end all" question and of utmost importance to a newbie.
If you take anything away from this thread please let it be this
" Education is about sharing" and is the platform that we build our successful careers on.
:hug:
Jen xxxxxx

Great thread jen!

Theres some real "nasty pieces of work" out there! :)

Great thread jen!

Theres some real "nasty pieces of work" out there! :)
:eek: I know terrible aren't they...:lol::hug::hug:
Jen xxxx

awwww Cool thread !

I came into the industry after leaving my job, and needing something to do,
Just as my depression was looming its uurrgllyy head for the first time.

I peeked in the geek door... decided the people inside looked like a decent bunch who could help me out.
Then I flung the door wide open and Burst right in with a HELLOOOOOO lol.
Sat down, and made myself right at home and very comfy for 4 years!

I have made some of THEE BEST friends a girl could wish for from this site,
and spent many a night laughing so much I needed my inhaler... Same as Izzi said, this was in the days when chat was literally... 'what is your favourite flavour crisps' lol
They turned in to some hysterical threads...

Anyhow... all these years later I am older, Fatter... a BIT more mature... a LOT more confident in myself... a MASSIVE lot happier in with myself.

I have recently become an educator as many of you know, and I really hope to make other people as spurred on and as supported as I have felt over the years,
Regardless of what brand other people or I was using at the time, I was offered help from everyone,
Pats on the back when earned, and kicks up the arse when deserved :green:

I remember exactly what it was like in the beginning, and still have many more beginings to come I am sure In my new Job title !

I aim to make people comfortable, happy the whole time, Mood makes such a difference to the amount of knowledge absorbed.

Did I waffle ?............ Nothing new there then :lol:
( And I can't find spell check in Google chrome so I hope Its all right lol )

I peeked in the geek door... decided the people inside looked like a decent bunch who could help me out.
Then I flung the door wide open and Burst right in with a HELLOOOOOO lol.
Sat down, and made myself right at home and very comfy for 4 years!

:eek:And we still cant get bleeding rid of ya waffling on :lol::lol: The chair has a permanent dent in it now! Oh and I think you will find its 6 years babe.
You know I lurves ya babe
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back