Removal of gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salon36

Reaction score
I have no training in gels yet. All of my training has been with acrylic systems. Can someone let me know if i should soak off a set of gels befor applying acrylic or if I needent do that. Also, is the soak procedure the same as acrylic or do I need to purchase other products to remove the gels

It depends on the gel- some are soak off and some are buff off.

I haven't trained with acrylic so I cant really help you with that.

Well, first of all, welcome!
It is always best if you remove all of one product before applying a different one. That way you can be more sure about the outcome. Now, to remove the gel, the soaking procedure is the same as in l&p, of course only if you are using a soak-off gel. Otherwise, you have to file it off. When are you getting you training?

Most gels have to be filed off you cant soak it, it can take upto an hour to file gel off, i used a product called gentle gel which can be soaked off like acrylic
Jen x

You'll need to know which brand of gel it is, then we can tell you if it's file off or soak off. Oh, and welcome to the site. :hug:

Thanks Kelly. Not sure about the gel training just yet. Training is not as easy accessable here in australia as it is in America. I would say I will look into it befor the end of the year. I want to take some further education in L&P sometime soon and I'll do that befor I venture into gels.

If you use a new 180/240 abrasive it shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes to remove the existing gel. If it's not discoloured and there isn't major lifting then I would rebalance with your L+P, there might be a slight colour difference but that can be overcome by applying a french pink enamel for a few weeks.

Are you positive it's gel on the nails?

there are very few soak off gels, the majority of gel product that are on the market are file off products.

however if the product on the nails is a file off gel but is intact there is no reason at all why you should file it all off. just thin it out and rebalance as you would with your regular product.

if it is a soak off product it will have more of a soft slightly rubbery texture and should be filed to break the surface of the gel and then soaked of as you would with l/p acrylic. it should take aprox 15 mins.

You guys are so helpful!!! Networking is not a favourite word among nail techs here (don't know why) so it's so cool to be able to ask some questions and actually receive some helpful advice. Many thanks

you're welcome !
we all love to help.:green:

Latest posts

Back