Removal of nail tips and gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helengrace000

Reaction score
I had my nail enhancement course and had one nail with natural tip with gel overlay and then one nail white tip with gel overlay. I tried to get them off last night by doing the cotton wool and foil technique with a remover that had acetone in. But didn't seem to be working even though I filed and buffed the nails. I then put pure acetone on the cotton wool and this didn't seem to work either. In the end I got a little pot filled with pure acetone and put my nails in. It took over half hour just for the soak (longer if include the time I had them in the cotton wool and foil) and I kept buffing away and putting them back in. Even now I can see a small bit of gel on one of my nails.

Soo.. Can anyone suggest if I am doing anything wrong? I'm going to be using my mum for a case study and she was a bit concerned with how long it took!!

Help!

Thank you x

Hi, this is why I won't use gels,only shellac,so with gels,file the top layer off,and dip fingers in acetone,than every 5-10 mins remone top layer with a file (gently),when your gel is very thin use a buffer,than make sure you rehydrate the nail with oil, shellac is 8 mins all off,no filing just scrapes off with an orange stick once cotton wool and foil wrap has been in place for 7 mins x x good luck practice makes perfect, oh everyone does it differently so you need to find the way your comfortable with x x

Soak offs always take ages hun. I always book an hour for mine.
Heat helps, I have a bowl that u put warm water in then the acetone in seperate bits above so the heat helps the acetone work quicker.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

What kind of Gel are you using?
If its not a soak off gel then it won't soak off in acetone.

Hard Gels are buff off, and require buffing off , no amount of soaking in acetone will help, it is best to leave a thin layer that can grow out rather than over buff the nail. Tips of course will dissolve in the acetone.

Your Training Course should have explained what kind of gel you would be using and explained the removal procedures to you.

Hi everyone, yes it is a soak off gel. Just seemed forever! Does it have to be pure acetone too? As worry that's not good for nails or skin. Would only soaking work or would the cotton wool and foil be ok? Tutor said either but cotton wool and foil didn't seem as effective! Xx

Which hard gel was it.. If it's an enhancement one it may be buff off not soak off, what company was it made by? If buff off then you have to buff down to a very fine layer and it will sometimes soak off or you leave to grow out. I've heard of one day courses saying hard gels soak of when infact ones they use don't.

Surely they showed you how to remove on the course, if not I'd contact them as they should explain and show you these things. You should have been shown how to put on, remove and infill and rebalance.

What company did you train with.

Edit : also hun you need to fill out your info/education so we can see what you've trained in :)

It's called millennium soak off gel. Yes she did show us, I soaked one off on course and another example was the cotton wool wrapped in foil. Just at home it seemed to take so much longer! I also didn't ask the tutor about using non acetone only thought about it now as seem some ppl don't use the pure acetone?

Lol okay I'll have to update my profile somehow!!

You probably didn't debulk the nail enough and I use CND nourishing remove to remove enhancements but using acetone from your beauty supplier is fine if worried about the surrounding skin just pop some cuticle oil around before wrapping :)

I can't find a hard gel that soaks of by millenium, only colour soak of gel polishes.. Woudv tried to see, read up and help as not a product I use, sorry.

It's called millennium soak off gel. Yes she did show us, I soaked one off on course and another example was the cotton wool wrapped in foil. Just at home it seemed to take so much longer! I also didn't ask the tutor about using non acetone only thought about it now as seem some ppl don't use the pure acetone?

Lol okay I'll have to update my profile somehow!!

Same as Maz. Pure acetone with cuticle oil to prevent the skin getting dehydrated and going white is great.
As long as the product has acetone in iys the same...just some brands add other things in to nourish the nail etc xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back