Removing another salon's Shellac/Gellish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M00min

Reaction score
Hi

I'm mobile and don't charge for removing Shellac/Gellish that I did when I'm re-Shellac/Gellishing.

However I've got a client booked that says she has Gellish on her nails from somewhere else. Now I don't mind removing it (obviously!) but really I should charge extra for this, shouldn't I?

If you would charge in this situation, would you charge what you would for a straight removal (no re-Shellac) or at a lower rate because you are re-Shellacing them? I hope that makes sense!! x

Hi

I don't do these treatments but from a business point of view how long will it take you to remove the gelish and then undertake your treatment? When you know that would you be happy working that amount of time for just the price of your shellac treatment?

If you were just removing them and not doing any other treatment you will be working for nothing, in fact you will be out of pocket as you will have travel expenses!

If you don't value your time no-one else will.

x

A lot of people will disagree with me, but I wouldnt charge for it personally.

I kinda find the whole 'if I did them this part would be free but because they arent its not' bit a bit difficult to put over to clients.

I kinda find the whole 'if I did them this part would be free but because they arent its not' bit a bit difficult to put over to clients.

Surely you would if the client didn't want more applied though ?

Surely you would if the client didn't want more applied though ?

I would, but the post says that she is being re shellaced.

If you would charge in this situation, would you charge what you would for a straight removal (no re-Shellac) or at a lower rate because you are re-Shellacing them? I hope that makes sense!! x

Hi

I don't do these treatments but from a business point of view how long will it take you to remove the gelish and then undertake your treatment? When you know that would you be happy working that amount of time for just the price of your shellac treatment?

If you were just removing them and not doing any other treatment you will be working for nothing, in fact you will be out of pocket as you will have travel expenses!

If you don't value your time no-one else will.

x
I have my first client on Saturday(very nervous) and she told me she has Shellac on already she had it done in the States, so I told her I would charge £5.00 for removal. I am redoing her nails with Shellac. I also let her know that for future bookings I would do removal Free of charge If they have been done by myself and having shellac put straight back on.
She was fine with this. Start as I mean to go on!

That's what I was thinking. I did have this dilemma before on my first Shellac client. I hadn't thought to ask her if she already had anything on her nails when I first booked her in, but she had Shellac from another salon. I had everything I needed to remove it and thankfully didn't have another client straight afterwards so I just removed it and didn't charge her because I felt awkward adding on an additional cost to the service that we hadn't discussed in advance (I KNOW, I KNOW - totally stupid but I hadn't been going long lol).

For the record, in case it wasn't clear in my original post I DO charge for a removal with no re-Shellac (or sell them a removal kit at the time they have the Shellac applied). I DON'T charge for removal when a client comes back to me back for a re-Shellac.

I'll have to mull this over some more! x

I would, but the post says that she is being re shellaced.

I'm sorry, i must have misread that sentence, I thought the poster was asking for a price for a removal without re shellac as well as one prior to another service.

I totally agree with this. I see no difference in removing your own or someone else's work. :green:

But only if you have built in the removal time into the service. Time is money and removal takes time. It's at least 15mins if not a bit more. How much is 15mins of your time plus products worth? This is what should be included in the application service or added on.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with you! I wouldn't charge to remove if you are going to re-apply. :)

I have my first client on Saturday(very nervous) and she told me she has Shellac on already she had it done in the States, so I told her I would charge £5.00 for removal. I am redoing her nails with Shellac. I also let her know that for future bookings I would do removal Free of charge If they have been done by myself and having shellac put straight back on.
She was fine with this. Start as I mean to go on!

What a fantastic start, you can't account for how other people apply things and as another poster has already said it is time being spent removing someone else's work that could be spent doing another client and it is your product that you are using.

Even if you just charge £5 for removal you are still charging for it. How many clients would get a free shellac removal if they were having a new lot put on but then when they wanted to take a break from having tis treatment done would then come in expecting a free removal?

You know for a fact there are clients out there who would go around telling other people that you remove shellac free of charge and omit the fact that you had to get more put on.

I agree with Shedunlop, Skymark and mum.

If you do not charge for the removal normally, i would guess that you have already added the cost of product / time to your usual price. If thats the case, then i dont think your new client should be charged extra for the same service :hug: xx

I look at it differently. I would build in the price of removal WITH any new application (therefore it is irrelevant if I OR someone else had already applied Shellac and I had to remove it). If they want a removal ONLY then it would be a seperate charge.

I look at it differently. I would build in the price of removal WITH any new application (therefore it is irrelevant if I OR someone else had already applied Shellac and I had to remove it). If they want a removal ONLY then it would be a seperate charge.

That's what I have done, if they are one-offs I make a little more, but if they come back, well I don't have to charge extra then, so no embarrasing moments asking for extra. :green:

For the record, I didn't charge extra to remove the other salon's Shellac. The client booked her next appointment, took a load of cards off me to give to her friends and texted me a few hours later to say "thank you" for doing her nails. Hopefully she'll turn out to be a regular client and send a few more my way :)

For the record, I didn't charge extra to remove the other salon's Shellac. The client booked her next appointment, took a load of cards off me to give to her friends and texted me a few hours later to say "thank you" for doing her nails. Hopefully she'll turn out to be a regular client and send a few more my way :)

Good for you. Just go with your gut feeling sometimes...

Soak off is built in to my pricing so I do not run in to this problem!

(or sell them a removal kit at the time they have the Shellac applied). I

Sorry to jump in, but can I ask what you put in this removal kit and what you charge? I'm starting to do Gelish soon and was thinking of offering this too. Thanks. x :)

My nail tech put 'Shellac Removal £10' on her cards to cover her if somebody walked in off the street- having shellac been put on elsewhere and then not returning but for all her clients it's free. The only probs she is having with it is the availability of it, she got the 1 per customer base and top coat 5 weeks ago and only has 1-2 more applications in! Shes been busy!

Latest posts

Back