Removing cuticle

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nothingbutnails

Reaction score
Morning geeks,

A silly question really. I am always careful and ensure i fully remove any cuticle with my curette. Looking at other posts i have seen people use cuticle remover. Is this necessary as i was told in training that i only really need to use it if the cuticle is so outgrown its obstructing your work or too tough to push? Can you just then dehydrate the nail to get rid of the oil or is this not enough? If i should use cuticle remover everytime which one is the best?

Thanks in advance x

Morning geeks,

A silly question really. I am always careful and ensure i fully remove any cuticle with my curette. Looking at other posts i have seen people use cuticle remover. Is this necessary as i was told in training that i only really need to use it if the cuticle is so outgrown its obstructing your work or too tough to push? Can you just then dehydrate the nail to get rid of the oil or is this not enough? If i should use cuticle remover everytime which one is the best?

Thanks in advance x

I use CND cuticle away, and just spray the clients hands with water and dry them thoroughly to remove the cuticle away afterwards. Then dehydrate the nail using scrub fresh. I tend to do this at their first appointment and then if they're regulars I do a dry pep after that. Hth xx

It's always advisable to use a cuticle remover on your client if it is her first appointment with you as you have no idea how much cuticle has built up on her nails, following appointments then you can do dry prep.
I also use CND Cuticle Away and always use before Enhancements even if they are a regular client as I want to give myself the best possible base.
With CND Shellac I do on the clients first appointment then normally their 4th, I do a dry pep during between app.

I remove the cuticle away with water then dehydrate the nail plate with Scrubfresh.

Doing a dry prep/pep if you are heavy handed can cause little bits of nail plate to lift so you need to be very careful.
If you use Cuticle Away it will dissolve any cuticle and make it much easier to remove.
I would highly recommend you buy a bottle it lasts forever :)
Hths :hug:

i do what wendynailedit does too. have to say cuticle away is the business!!!does a great job and it's not expensive. a must have IMO..

I never do it dry, always orly cutique or nfu-oh cuticle remover, they work in seconds and do not interfere with enhancements, I simply use scrub fresh afterwards.

I use CND cuticle away, and just spray the clients hands with water and dry them thoroughly to remove the cuticle away afterwards. Then dehydrate the nail using scrub fresh. I tend to do this at their first appointment and then if they're regulars I do a dry pep after that. Hth xx

Hi Wendy,

I know on our Gelish course we were told not to use a cuticle remover and just dry prep, but I'm really struggling with some people's cuticles. Do you use the CND cuticle away when doing Gelish and if so what do you use after it to remove it ( Is it just a hairdresser’s mister with plain water) and as I don't have scrub fresh is Ph bond the same?
Thanks

Jeanne

You deactivate CND Cuticle Away using water, you can put a little drop of a wash in it I use a CND Scentsation Wash.
I have mine in a spray bottle and dry with a face cloth.

You deactivate CND Cuticle Away using water, you can put a little drop of a wash in it I use a CND Scentsation Wash.
I have mine in a spray bottle and dry with a face cloth.

I do exactly this, works a treat.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I use Cuticle Away successfully with Shellac, Gelish, Artistic Colour Gloss and every hard gel and l&p product I've ever used :)

Hi Wendy,

I know on our Gelish course we were told not to use a cuticle remover and just dry prep, but I'm really struggling with some people's cuticles. Do you use the CND cuticle away when doing Gelish and if so what do you use after it to remove it ( Is it just a hairdresser’s mister with plain water) and as I don't have scrub fresh is Ph bond the same?
Thanks

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne
Yes, I use it with Gelish, and use a hairdressers mister with water and usually a drop of soap. Dry the nails thoroughly and ph bond should be ok. I use both scrub fresh and ph bond with Gelish though.
X

Thanks everyone for all the info, will get a little spray bottle and order the cuticle away.
Just to clarify I apply the cuticle away, do my cuticle work then spray with the water to deactivate the product, dry hands, then cleanse using the harmony cleanse, apply ph bond etc

Hi Jeanne
Yes, I use it with Gelish, and use a hairdressers mister with water and usually a drop of soap. Dry the nails thoroughly and ph bond should be ok. I use both scrub fresh and ph bond with Gelish though.
X

Thanks for that Wendy. Out of interest what is scrub fresh and is it worth getting to use with my Gelish application?

Also forgot to ask if you can use any type of soap mixed in with the water? I have the radox anti bacterial hand wash or carex can I use these?

Hello, quick reply! Iv been doing nails professionally for 7 years... Not once have I removed the cuticle! I simply push them back. If they are welded to the nail plate and overgrown then I may nip the excess off. The cuticle is there to protect the matrix where the nail is formed, if the cuticle is taken away it is then open to infection. I have never had problems with lifting etc by doing this :)

Hello, quick reply! Iv been doing nails professionally for 7 years... Not once have I removed the cuticle! I simply push them back. If they are welded to the nail plate and overgrown then I may nip the excess off. The cuticle is there to protect the matrix where the nail is formed, if the cuticle is taken away it is then open to infection. I have never had problems with lifting etc by doing this :)

Hi Mawnails and welcome to the site :)

This statement is not completely accurate as Cuticle is non living tissue that attaches itself to the Nail Plate what you are talking about is the Eponychium which is a living fold/seal there to protect the Matrix for infection and damage.
The Eponychium can on some people attach itself to the Nail Plate and be pulled up the Nail Plate if this happens you should recommend your client uses Cuticle Eraser and Solar Oil this is a great moisture pack and will help the Eponychuim to soften and reduce.

You should never push, trim or nip the Eponychium as doing this can cause infection, also causing it to grow back thicker as the body is producing cells in overtime to replace what has been removed same as scar tissue.

It is common for people to mistake them both but important to know the difference so that you are offering the best service possible to your clients.

:hug:

Thanks for that Wendy. Out of interest what is scrub fresh and is it worth getting to use with my Gelish application?

It cleanses and dehydrates the nail plate. Gelish cleanse is fine to use rather than investing in something else! X

Also forgot to ask if you can use any type of soap mixed in with the water? I have the radox anti bacterial hand wash or carex can I use these?

I remember reading once that you're best avoiding anti-bacterial soap, so since then I've just used water. X

Thanks everyone for all the info, will get a little spray bottle and order the cuticle away.
Just to clarify I apply the cuticle away, do my cuticle work then spray with the water to deactivate the product, dry hands, then cleanse using the harmony cleanse, apply ph bond etc

Yep. Perfect. Make sure you dry the nails thoroughly. X

Latest posts

Back