Removing fluffy bits after filing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellishbellish

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I've tried finding the answer to this on the search engine but can't seem to bring anything up... it's a really simple question that is probably silly but I am wondering if anyone has any good tips on removing the fluffy bits under the nail after you have filed it? I have tried giving a light file in one direction which doesn't always work, and neither does running a pad underneath to try and catch them. I'm finding that sometimes they are getting into the Shellac, even after trying and thinking I have removed them!

Hope this doesn't sound too mundane!

Thanks!

A Plush Brush by NSI helps to remove excess dust from the nail plate and beneath, before applying Scrub Fresh or cleanser of course.

Last edited:
That's great, thank you very much. Do you just use it dry?

That's great, thank you very much. Do you just use it dry?

Yes, you use it dry and it has really soft pliable bristles which get the dust out. I highly recommend them!

I use the Jessica technique, which is a hard brush with soap-less cleanser and water over a bowl, which you buff over the nails, then wipe with a cloth until it squeaks.

As a client in some salons they get me to wash my hands with soap and water after filing

i get very fine bits of nail just on the bottom of the free edge after filing and if i dont get them all they go hard when the gelish is cured, like little spikey bits, they do my head in!

I normally get them off with a buffer or running my nail along the free edge, comes away pretty easy.

I just run under the nail with a block buffer and they go xx

Laura xx

Are we talking about frillies underneath the free edge or rough bits of the nail plate?

I HATE frillies - bane of my life - after I've filed all nails I run my cuticle pusher under each nail to 'pull them out' and lightly swipe them away with a file. I only tend to get them on one side of the nail so it must be the way one files :(

The NSI Plush Brush is just for getting rid of dust and bits of loose cuticle. It won't remove frillies :)

Frillies annoy me! I use a light touch with a buffer if I get any.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah I mean the frilly bits after filing, sorry if I didn't make that very clear. Sometimes nothing seems to get rid of them and I end up faffing about with them, filing, putting a pad underneath, using an orangewood stick and then filing them off, using a light touch etc, sometimes nothing seems to work and I end up getting the cuticle nippers and clipping them off the end. I know this can't be right but sometimes nothing works! If I am doing something wrong then please let me know as it's very annoying!

Yeah I mean the frilly bits after filing, sorry if I didn't make that very clear. Sometimes nothing seems to get rid of them and I end up faffing about with them, filing, putting a pad underneath, using an orangewood stick and then filing them off, using a light touch etc, sometimes nothing seems to work and I end up getting the cuticle nippers and clipping them off the end. I know this can't be right but sometimes nothing works! If I am doing something wrong then please let me know as it's very annoying!

I really really lightly buff upwards. ( if free edge is facing you) then buff down and it disconnects it. Hope this makes sense x

I really really lightly buff upwards. ( if free edge is facing you) then buff down and it disconnects it. Hope this makes sense x

Thanks for replying. Yeah that makes sense, I will give it a bash, ta. Only thing is is it ok to kind of bevel upwards?

I use an NSI file its spongey on one side then a nail file on the other side, it also helps to soften the free edge once you have finished the nails so they're not sharp for the client, it's a great little tool.

Oh, I do get them regularly and I hate them. As I mostly do Shellac on natural nails I use Kanga file and as it's hard one, doesn't bend and doesn't get the frillies, so I use Koala file and file slightly upwards to disconnect them. It must be the way I file nails and I can't figure out what am I doing wrong as other nail technicians don't know what I am talking about when I explain this problem.

You can get the end of your file if it bends around like the Kanga at each end and use that. Put it under the free edge and swipe upwards.

I get the end of a file and kind if sweep it under the free edge then gently file upwards x

I have been taught to bevel up and down although I hate how it feels when bevelling upwards! Will this help with frillie bits then? ( I'm a novice lol)

I have been taught to bevel up and down although I hate how it feels when bevelling upwards! Will this help with frillie bits then? ( I'm a novice lol)

I run my cutistone underneath

Latest posts

Back