Removing gel, C curve tightening?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rory Love

Reaction score
Sorry couldn't find answer to this in search..

I've just been removing a Brisa gel overlay from my nails (applied yesterday - just for practice done by another girl from my course), using Nourishing Remover + Magis wraps and after around 15-20 minutes my nails, especially thumbs started to really hurt. I pulled some wraps off to find my nails now with really dramatic c-curves - I have somewhat deep c curves naturally but this looked ridiculous and some nails were digging into the skin. Then decided to just dip in a small bowl of remover but I've ended up forcing most of the gel off my nails and damaging them in the process because I couldn't stand the tightness any longer. Once gel is off they're back to normal shape. This also happened during my course when I was removing gel from my nails that were enhanced with forms in class, I had to rip them off too because of the tightening.

Why is this?
I usually wear Shellac with no issues, my nails have been growing for about a month and are a good length (but now damaged! :sad:).

Oh and I use SolarOil & lotion every day.
xx

Hi there

I don't really know the cause, but I can be prone to the same thing. I have natural nails, which I Shellac, and they naturally start to "curve in" tighter a they grow - and it gets worse the longer they get, and like you say, gel can also exacerbate it - my hunch is that the thicker the product the worse it gets.

The main solution I've found is to keep my nails reasonably short (I still have a free edge over the end of my finger but only by about 3mm. If I try to grow them a lot longer than that, I get the tight c-curve thing.

My nails are the longest they've been in ages ATM, since I've been religiously re-Shellac-ing (nails break if not), never had this happen. It was so uncomfortably tight.
I'll see how I go with continuing to Shellac, I love them the length they are but if that means ending up with v. dramatic c curves I'll have to keep them short.

Why us, huh!

xx

I get this when removing my Gellux, I have read on here before it is nail dehydration (I don't use any oil oops) and not tried this either but I believe that putting oil on to the nails and surroundings before removing helps with this. I always do this with my clients and have never noticed this happening just never think to do it on myself lol. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong! I now read so much on this I get confused haha
Sarah x

Will have to try oil before removing next time I have gel on.
It's not as if I used pure acetone either though..was Nourishing Remover.
I assume this doesn't happen to everyone.

xx

I have to say this happened to me yesterday. I removed some Brisa Lite sculpting overlays off my nails using foil, pads and nourishing remover. Although it wasn't uncomfortable there was a dramatic change to my c curve as my nails are usually a lot flatter. They have since flattened out a bit. I wondered if it was the gel swelling up as it was absorbing acetone, therefore leading to pushing the curve deeper. Interesting observations. I must admit I'm not as good at using the oil as I should be too.

I'm pretty good at using my oil, but my nails are naturally quite weak (I was a biter for years and years), so I wonder if when something strong like gel is applied to them, they "bend" under the gel when it sets under the UV light or something?!

It's a pain though. That, plus the fact that I've got really short nail beds from the years of biting means that I'm never destined to have really long natural nails I think! Thank god for Shellac and Brisa Lite smoothing gel- that's the only reason they are long at all - have to keep them Shellaced at all times otherwise they'd break within a day or so!!

I have had this too when removing my own gel. I have learnt to use a different technique when wrapping which isn't as tight on the nail and this has helped.
Are your foils too tight at the free edge, maybe?

I have had this too when removing my own gel. I have learnt to use a different technique when wrapping which isn't as tight on the nail and this has helped.
Are your foils too tight at the free edge, maybe?

Mm, could be. I do wrap the foils quite tight..will have to experiment with different ways of doing things.

Mm, could be. I do wrap the foils quite tight..will have to experiment with different ways of doing things.

I used to twist them at the free edge a bit like a sweetie wrapper but now I fold the sides in and then the front upwards leaving it quite square, if that makes sense.
I have bought some nail wraps to try, might be something for you?

Welcome to Graham Beauty

This happened on a client of mine the other day she complained the wraps were hurting they had only been on 5 minutes they were badly curled at the edges she asked why and I couldnt tell her as have never come across this before they were a nightmare to file into shape. I shall use the oil on them next time before I wrap them x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It is the temporary dehydration from the acetone that is causing that to happen and it happens to a lot of people who have deep c curves already or thick folds.

Once you remove the acetone they will go back into shape. Not sure about ways of maybe lessening it because its never been a painful experience for my clients that it does happen to so I'm sorry I can't help there.

You have to be really careful about prying whatever is on your nails off. Now you're left with damage when the acetone would have just temporary caused the c curve discomfort but then your nails would have bounced back into shape. You can safely remove the gel down to a thin layer with your file if it was really unbearable to soak. Hope you're not too sore for long.

Latest posts

Back