Removing gel nails and pain

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van_Beau-T

Reaction score
Hello!

So recently I decided to experiment with bioseaweed gel soak-off structure/builder gel (the new formula where it doesn't burn). I had used it to make nail extensions using forms. Anyways, i waited about 3 weeks before removing them. I buffed off the top layer, and wrapped my nails with tin foil, cotton balls and acetone. As I was soaking my nails, after about 7 minutes my nails started throb. I couldn't stand keeping the foils on any longer so I began to remove them carefully. Removing the foils itself was extremely painful, as I could not even touch my nails the slightest bit without it throbbing. I literally felt like crying from the pain. I opted to file them down (as painful as that was). Not only were my nails weak, but they were extremely damaged. The cuticles around my nails looked fine though. No redness, no pealing, nothing like that. The top of my nail bed was bumpy and there were white spots on them(probably from scrapping off the gel). My nails were extremely sensitive and in pain for about a week. It's been a month now and they finally feel strong and normal again. Bioseaweed gel boasts how it's so easy to remove their products, and that their products are not harmful. I guess my question is why my nails hurt so much during removal? Why was it extremely painful to touch? Has this happened to anyone else?
Maybe I'm removing them wrong?

Lastly, I would like to also mention, in the past this has happened to me as well (just not as painful), while removing SO gel polishes such as OPI or gelish. But this sort of pain was on another level

Last edited:
Any chance you are allergic to acetone?

Any chance you are allergic to acetone?

I did consider that, but I've successfully removed gel polishes in the past without it hurting at all as well. It's like a once in a while thing- where it hurts to remove. I generally thought it was because my nails were a bit weak? But I can't seem to figure it out. Furthermore, I also removed gel polish from my toes recently and felt no pain at all.

It doesn’t take as long to remove gel polish
Your best bet would be to have an allergy test done

It doesn’t take as long to remove gel polish
Your best bet would be to have an allergy test done

Yea I might just do that. It Still doesn't make sense though. I've heard that acetone can't cause allergies? But anything is possible I suppose. Furthermore, The foils were only on for 7 mins before they started throbbing. Typically I leave them on for atleast 10 minutes for any sort of removal- I couldn't even have them on for 7 :(

Latest posts

Back