Removing nail enhancements for Surgery

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzynsoph

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is absolutely necessary to remove all nail enhancements if undergoing surgery? I understand that they need to watch blood supply etc under the nail but surely this can be seen from under the toe nails or other ways.

I have worn acrylic for 10 years now and my own nails are not that strong, they never were, so the thought of going 'nail less' in hospital is almost as horrible as the thought of the surgery itself!

I know of clients that have kept their enhancements on during surgery.I think it best that you speak to whoever is doing your surgery ref this issue.It would be a real inconvenience if you keep the enhancements on,go along to the hospital only to find out that they wont go ahead with surgery because you haven't had your enhancements removed.

If you are told that they definately need to be removed then it's not the end of the world cherub.You can have them redone asap after the surgery.HTH and good luck:hug:

Last edited:
Hi,
I was in for surgery a few months back, and aslong as I didnt have varnish on them or my toes i was told it was fine to keep it on. Best to let them know at your pre op check as each hosp varies and so that they can put it on your notes, but the 'finger monitor' :confused:(dont know the real name for the thing that they clip on to your finger!) worked fine.
Good luck with your surgery, hope all goes well:)

They are usually Ok if you have clean toenails, although you do need to check with the hospital.

The last time I had a general anaesthetic, the nurse suggested I prised an overlay off for the purpose.......it was probably quite comical the way I hit the roof, and lectured her about the health of the natural nail! The poor girl ran out of the room so scared, I never saw her again....OK maybe I took it a bit too seriously! :lol:

They tend to b funny about varnish... I had overlays in clear on my hands for tooth ext and it was fine its so they can see the colour of you nails in surgery.....You are better to be safe than sorry and reemove everything/..... It depends on the type of surgery you are having... while i was there a lady was having a screw put in her finger and they were very peticular xxx

I had a client who was in for surgery on her shoulder on Monday I told her to ask the hospital and they said as long as she had nothing on her toes that it was fine to have her enhancements on :hug:

they need to monitor your heart by the colour of the nail bed i have heart problems for years now and i have to check my nails often as the nail bed has a slight blue tinge if the blood supply to the heart has a problem

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will have a word with the surgeon next week. Still got a couple more tests to go before final decision on surgery.

Hiya,

A lot of it depends on the anaesthetist.
I've just had a hysterectomy and I was instructed at my consultation to remove all polish from my toes but as long as I had two nails free of enhancements it would be ok. Like you I didn't fancy going in to hospital with no nails on so I applied 8 very festive nails and left my two thumb nails free! :lol:
Even so there were still questions asked when I was admitted but the anaesthetist was fantastic.
If in doubt leave them off.
Good luck with everything,

love Ali xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had a c-section in May, and despite numerous discussions with my OB consultant and the anesthetist, they both demanded I remove my enhancements. This despite my preparing arguments about alternate ways of checking my oxygen levels (the "finger clip" that people refer to is called a Pulse Oxymeter, which measures the concentration of oxygen in your blood). You can "technically" use a toenail or even an earlobe with this machine, however most hospitals don't carry the attachments to make this possible. While they will look for a change of colour in the nail bed, unless you have a chronic lung condition, it's not the first thing they look for and are more concerned about the pulse ox machine working properly.

I took them off, but pouted about it.

In August, I was back in hospital with a lung condition, and happily took them off as I didn't want ANYTHING to interfere with the Pulse Ox machine - every percent higher on that device meant I was getting better. As we didn't know what the cause was, they were investigating everything.

Anyway, it's up to you if you want to challenge the medical staff about this - it's going to very wildly between doctors. Prepare yourself for a fight, though. A lot of hospitals have policies against all staff and patients wearing "false nails", so the enhancements we build are lumped in with the £4.99 Boots special stick-ons. No concession is made for proper enhancements.

I realised afterward that if I just took a medium buffer and took the shine off my enhancements, they probably wouldn't have noticed they weren't real - as I usually wear clear powder near my cuticle, it probably wouldn't make much difference if I was wearing them or not.

Last edited:
In my experience it has all depended on what the doctor requested of my clients. Some want the nails totally removed, while others say only dark polishes have to be removed. So usually I tell my clients to check with their doctor and do what the doctor recommends.

A client of mine is going in for surgery this week and refuses point blank to remove her overlays, so I did as Dawn said and buffed them to remove the shine and just filed down the white tip. (I did this the last time she had surgery and they didn't notice)

When I had my C section I didn't remove my enhancements (I knew I should, as if you don't have enough oxygen your nail bed will go blue)... but I wasn't told that in the hospital so I acted stupid (it wasn't too hard:))

They DID however remove my French polish from my toes.... gutted!!!!

When I woke up I remember looking down and seeing my bare toes and was disgusted, I kept going on about it:lol:... it sounds so funny to others, but when you're 9 months pregnant I think I should have been given an award for being able to get down there to paint those poor tooties in the first place!!:lol:

hey i had surgery few weeks ago with both my enhancements & minx on toes - only prob was i had to remove ma lovely red polish which i was only told to do few hours b4 my actual op but prob be best to check with your surgeon in advance!! x
to b honest i never even thought about it - i done my nails and toes the nite b4 my op to cheer me up afterwards as i knew i would feel yuk!!!! lol :)
good luck xxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back