Removing oil smells

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

China Rose

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has a good tip for removing oil smells from massage sheets? I use polycotton bed sheets to cover clients and then towels on top to stop towels from staining. But the rancid smell left on the sheets over time isn't very attractive! TIA

Hi China Rose

I have to admit I’m a bit puzzled about these questions (which come up regularly from time to time). I never have this problem and I’m at a loss to know what I do right or what other people do wrong. I do loads of massage.

Are you using too much oil do you think? I hate to be all slimy after a massage and it annoys me if I have to scrub thoroughly in the shower after a training session. I also worry about my clothes. I have had other therapists leave a room sneezing with their faces all swelled up after too much aromatherapy oil exposure and I just felt annoyed at the waste.

I’m very experienced and I don’t use much oil at all. I can massage without oil or over a drape. Trust me, you don’t need much oil. I never have oil stained sheets after a massage - if I have a couple I’ll use the same sheets, just turn them over, and there’s nothing apart from a few creases to show the sheets have been reused.

I do use cotton only sheets from BC Softwear and cotton only sarongs. I don’t know if that makes a difference. And I use a professional wash powder which I buy from Bookers. It’s suitable for care homes etc and sanitises at low temps. I buy Bold. It’s often on offer and much cheaper than buying from the supermarket.

I usually use almond oil for massage. Occasionally I use grape seed. For hot stones I use a mix of jojoba and fractionated coconut oil and I use a bit more oil to distribute the heat well.

Latest posts

Back