Removing overtone seemingly impossible?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Can any hair wizards help me here? I have tried almost everything... I used vit c powder, dish washing soap, toning shampoo and developer... A bleach bath...
My hair was Elsa blonde. I had the brilliant idea to use Ginger overtone, thinking it’d take me to a natural ginger. LOL!!!! it turned my hair clown orange, and 3 months later has faded into a dehydrated dog pee yellow. Lord help me, I have been (fairly, yes) quoted $500-$900 to fix it... I do not have that on hand. Any other suggestions from you guys? I am tempted to try and buy MALIBU CPR or MALIBU DDL but can’t decide which one, and am not even sure it’d work.
thank you!

What is Ginger Overtone?
Sounds like it's stained the cuticle. By putting bleach product with developer on it you may have just made it 100 times harder to remove!

You need to see a highly trained colourist before you damage your hair any further!

Unfortunately, using dish washing soap (!) followed by bleach will have permanently damaged your outer cuticle layer and your hair will feel very dry and will have lost some of it’s elasticity.

You need to use moisturising treatments and possibly, a leave-in conditioner to make it feel better in the short term.

Miss Ginger, this is a site for professional technicians. So do you expect us the professionals, with so many of us working in our industry for decades to prefer free advice?
Wake up, you created the mess so might I suggest that 1. Continue to play around with your hair and try and fix it yourself or 2. Get your benjamins out and pay a professional to fix your mess. I personally would charge a premium fee...
That will teach you, for messing about with your own hair colour.

Miss Ginger, this is a site for professional technicians. So do you expect us the professionals, with so many of us working in our industry for decades to prefer free advice?
Wake up, you created the mess so might I suggest that 1. Continue to play around with your hair and try and fix it yourself or 2. Get your benjamins out and pay a professional to fix your mess. I personally would charge a premium fee...
That will teach you, for messing about with your own hair colour.
No, I thought this was just a hair advice forum lol. My mistake... I’ve been using it for two years as a hair advice forum and never realized that, guess I should be a blonde!.... Yeah, I’m being quoted $500-$900, sadly COVID-19 basically put my small business out of business and so I no longer have the income to support paying to go get my hair done. I used Overtone after watching several videos on it being used on hair as blonde as mine was, and it coming out a beautiful ... natural ... ginger. I suppose my hair was more porous than I thought it was and just completely nuked it into a bright orange. Thanks for letting me know that this is for professional salon owners / stylists... woops.

You need to see a highly trained colourist before you damage your hair any further!

Unfortunately, using dish washing soap (!) followed by bleach will have permanently damaged your outer cuticle layer and your hair will feel very dry and will have lost some of it’s elasticity.

You need to use moisturising treatments and possibly, a leave-in conditioner to make it feel better in the short term.
I sadly don’t have the income atm due to COVID. Of course I did this during quarantine, out of boredom and a depression that made me feel like totally messing with my hair... which I have always done when feeling depressed, since I was a teen. Would think I would learn my lesson after the time I gave myself a pixie cut... thank you for being kind in your response. I’m sorry I didn’t realize this was a forum for professionals only until someone below pointed it out.
If you don’t mind, do you have any leave-in suggestions? I have no idea what to even do with my hair. I look best blonde, by far, than any color but I’m thinking my only option now is to go dark until my natural hair grows all the way out in a year or two. Sigh. What a big mistake on my part.

i did the bleach bath on advice from my old stylist who is a hair coloring wizard - we live states apart now but she occasionally helps me out. She had no idea Overtone was a textile dye basically and that bleaching would drive it further into the cuticle. I might use a malibu DDL or CPR on it before I make the decision to just go darker... sigh. Wish me luck, and again I appreciate the friendly answer a lot. Thank you

What is Ginger Overtone?
Sounds like it's stained the cuticle. By putting bleach product with developer on it you may have just made it 100 times harder to remove!
Yes!! My old stylist has never seen a textile dye (overtone is like Splat 2.0) and so she recommended the bleach bath to me. She was just trying to help, so no foul on her part. I am sad now though! I have pee hair lol. Attached is before, after the ginger overtone, and now. Yup... a huge, impulsive mistake!

Attachments

• CFC754FD-495A-42F3-93D0-455E47EAFA51.jpeg
    CFC754FD-495A-42F3-93D0-455E47EAFA51.jpeg
    802.6 KB · Views: 529
  • 4A85255E-D773-4A3B-B323-5585788233E1.jpeg
    4A85255E-D773-4A3B-B323-5585788233E1.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 585
  • 950E236A-1B43-46EB-9C3F-8B8712E29873.png
    950E236A-1B43-46EB-9C3F-8B8712E29873.png
    8.7 MB · Views: 621
  • 1A699781-A590-4373-9804-FAD4F303BEBD.jpeg
    1A699781-A590-4373-9804-FAD4F303BEBD.jpeg
    495.8 KB · Views: 441
Yes!! My old stylist has never seen a textile dye (overtone is like Splat 2.0) and so she recommended the bleach bath to me. She was just trying to help, so no foul on her part. I am sad now though! I have pee hair lol. Attached is before, after the ginger overtone, and now. Yup... a huge, impulsive mistake!
You totally look like you could rock that colour hair! Yellow is still fashionable. If you were a client of mine right now, I'd encourage you to have a smokey grey root and embrace the yellow ends. Check out Sophia Hilton she totally rocks yellow hair, and it's not too dissimilar to the colour yours is now! Have fun with it :) it will fade off eventually, it'll just take longer than it usually would :)

You totally look like you could rock that colour hair! Yellow is still fashionable. If you were a client of mine right now, I'd encourage you to have a smokey grey root and embrace the yellow ends. Check out Sophia Hilton she totally rocks yellow hair, and it's not too dissimilar to the colour yours is now! Have fun with it :) it will fade off eventually, it'll just take longer than it usually would :)
Thank you! I will check her out right now!! :) appreciate the advice and I will look into it - I definitely have been debating just embracing the yellow!

😍 Yes rock that yellow!!

Try a violet direct dye colour (like Splat) on a very small section to see if it helps.
A blue based purple will send it green.

Firstly may I say I am sorry to hear about your COVID 19 situation. You are a very pretty woman, and yes you can rock the orange and yellow.
As for removing hair cuticle staining, I have had great success with Baking soda mixed with Head and shoulders original anti-dandruff shampoo. Leave on the hair with a plastic cap for 60mins. Repeat until you reach the required shade. This mixture is mildly alkaline which opens the surface cuticle so that, in your case, the small yellow pigment molecule will leach from the hair... After you rinse use a mildly acid hair mask to close the hair cuticle. Your hair structural condition should not be adversely affected as you are not breaking down any of your hair bonds... You may have caused some structural breakage from the bleach you used to remove the semi colour. Do an Olaplex treatment after you are happy with the colour result to help reinforce the hair structure.
I hope this helps... Do let me know how you're doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back