Removing polish from acrylics!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ALEX

Since doing nails(2 years) I have had three custom that have complained that when they remave the polish from their L&P nails that the nails look very dull and almost start to feel soft. All three use or used the acetone free polish remover,so I don't understand why this happens. When the women have their infills I always buff the old nail polish so i never understood what they meant, but last week I removed the colour with the acetone free solution and saw for myself. It feels like they are going soft. I just wondered if over use of polish remover effected the acrylic.
Thanks guys!

i'v had this same problem but on myself. Im not sure if its because iv used too much nail polish remover? The acrylic goes slighlty soft and is more flexible. Hope someone can help!

Vicky

i always try to sell my clients a bottle of 'professional' polish remover if i know they want to change polish as when i was at college one of the girls used what was supposed to be 'non acetone' polish remover from boots and it made her nails all gooey...i definately think some types are better for extensions than others!

I don't do l&p anil enhancments, but use Star nails acetone-free polish remover to remove polish from my fibreglass, china silk and acrylic powder dip clients and I've never had a problem. Might be worth a try...?

HTHs

G. xx

I too experienced this problem yesterday on my gel nail extensions i had used 'non acetone' and found i had problems too may have to invest in a new varnish remover x

Up To Scratch said:
I don't do l&p anil enhancments, but use Star nails acetone-free polish remover to remove polish from my fibreglass, china silk and acrylic powder dip clients and I've never had a problem. Might be worth a try...?

HTHs

G. xx
I use Star too but still makes them soft!!

Hi All

All NVR (nail varnish remover) will affect l&p and fibreglass nails in some way as they are all solvents. The reason for using acetone free NVR is that acetone is the most efficient solvent, hence its use to remove artificial nails. But all the solvents used in NVR can, in theory, remove artificial nails given enough time!

When removing varnish don't use too much remover on the pad and flood the nail and do it as quickly as possible. It may be that the surface of the nail is dulled by this but it should just need a quick buff.

If your clients like to change their colour themselves often, think about putting a thin layer of (non soakable) UV gel over the l&p. This will not be affected by NVR so colours can be changed without any loss of shine.

When I do artificial nails for sessions work I use a very thin layer of resin only which is very sensitive to solvents but done for speed. Very often colours need changing and, again for speed, I use acetone. Theoretically, this should wreck the nails but if little is used and done very quickly there is no problem.

I am not suggest that you do this but it demonstrates how artificial nails need not be damaged by NVR.

Any help?
Marian (Newman)

mum said:
Hi All

All NVR (nail varnish remover) will affect l&p and fibreglass nails in some way as they are all solvents. The reason for using acetone free NVR is that acetone is the most efficient solvent, hence its use to remove artificial nails. But all the solvents used in NVR can, in theory, remove artificial nails given enough time!

When removing varnish don't use too much remover on the pad and flood the nail and do it as quickly as possible. It may be that the surface of the nail is dulled by this but it should just need a quick buff.

If your clients like to change their colour themselves often, think about putting a thin layer of (non soakable) UV gel over the l&p. This will not be affected by NVR so colours can be changed without any loss of shine.

When I do artificial nails for sessions work I use a very thin layer of resin only which is very sensitive to solvents but done for speed. Very often colours need changing and, again for speed, I use acetone. Theoretically, this should wreck the nails but if little is used and done very quickly there is no problem.

I am not suggest that you do this but it demonstrates how artificial nails need not be damaged by NVR.

Any help?
Marian (Newman)
Thanks for that....:o Should have known that...lol

Have to say i have found as long as you do it quickly then you just get a dull nail, a quick buff gets it looking good soon after.

It does pay to get good professional non acetone remover as cheaper ones do seem to do more damage.:D

Just to add another point to Marian's excellent post...

If you are using a high quality L&P system or non removable gel system... One of the best removers (in the salon) is a mixture of 9 parts water and 1 part acetone.
The reason being that acetone removes the enamel virtually instantly and evaporates very quickly. NAR's are slower and therefore you end up working more solvent into the enhancement which can cause damage.
If the nail is dull or tacky afterward... your solvent has broken down the enhancment (though that can easily buff off).

Saying that... I would still only sell professional NAR's to my clients as they could overwork the acetone mixture into the enhancement.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice!

The Nail Geek said:
Just to add another point to Marian's excellent post...

If you are using a high quality L&P system or non removable gel system... One of the best removers (in the salon) is a mixture of 9 parts water and 1 part acetone.
The reason being that acetone removes the enamel virtually instantly and evaporates very quickly. NAR's are slower and therefore you end up working more solvent into the enhancement which can cause damage.
If the nail is dull or tacky afterward... your solvent has broken down the enhancment (though that can easily buff off).

Saying that... I would still only sell professional NAR's to my clients as they could overwork the acetone mixture into the enhancement.

Hope this helps
I use all creative products and i have experienced the dullness after removing polish though ur wright it does buff up nice again, but i will definatly try your way

Having tried a number of removers I only use acetone now. I find it removes the polish much quicker than non-acetone removers which I used to have problems with.

However, I tell my clients to try to limit the amount of time they change their colour, and to use a non-acetone remover when they do......... had one lady use acetone once to remove her polish and she came running over to me with really weird, alien-looking enhancements! She'd been so busy chatting while removing her polish she didn't notice the enhancements bending and melting!

Jackie
www.LibertyNailDesign.com
Dublin

JackieMc said:
Having tried a number of removers I only use acetone now. I find it removes the polish much quicker than non-acetone removers which I used to have problems with.

However, I tell my clients to try to limit the amount of time they change their colour, and to use a non-acetone remover when they do......... had one lady use acetone once to remove her polish and she came running over to me with really weird, alien-looking enhancements! She'd been so busy chatting while removing her polish she didn't notice the enhancements bending and melting!

Jackie
www.LibertyNailDesign.com
Dublin

Like Jackie i only use acetone to remove polish now- its so much quicker and it evaporates so fast that there is no residue (like with non acetone nvr) to absorb into the nail and break the acrylic down
with clients i still advise them to use non acetone nvr tho:)

Jess
;)

9 parts water and one part acetone it is for me then from now on...thanks for that info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back