Removing red orange tones

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulu78

Reaction score
Hi guys I’ve been out of the salon for years,had my hair hilighted and then back to my natural colour shade 5-6 which was came out really red, I put on a box colour 5.11 which went really dark more of a level 3 so I’ve let that fade and applied a box couloir 6.11 which is now right level colour but really red/orange I’ve always used L’Oréal when I was in salon but things have really changed so do I need to put on 6.71 or remove the undercoat first or any other suggestions thanks x

Why are you using box colours if you’re qualified? Surely you can use your certificate to purchase from professional suppliers?

I’ve no idea what your box colour 6.11 is but you can’t keep re-applying tint over already coloured hair. How much root do you have and what percentage of grey?

You're probably better off going to a salon for a consultation as they can see exactly what your hair is like, colour and condition.

I’ve been out of the salon for years the condition of my hair is good there is a wholesalers here but has very limited colours and a lot has changed it doesn’t help that I don’t speak the native language of where I live, I want to be a natural looking light brown without the red orange the box colour was an light ash brown, im now more orange/brown I have 10% grey I have tried several hairdressers but it’s never near what I would like and when I do talk to them about colours they seem to be blank about advice I’m not one that interferes as they are the professionals but their colour knowledge seems as lacking as mine now days

Oh, that is tricky then.

Red/Orange are the normal undertones for a level 5/6 that get exposed when you lighten your hair. (See my avatar pic)
You only remove them if you want to go lighter, to an 8/9 for instance.

When you colour your hair, the peroxide will lift your natural slightly so that when the permanent colour washes out/fades, you’re left with your underlying colour exposed. I think you’d be better off with a green based Ash semi to neutralise the tones.

The reason why you're getting warmth with your chosen shades is because most box dies come with 9% as a developer. So this is lifting your natural hair, exposing the natural warmth that @AcidPerm is talking about and then the ash tones are being layed over the top. Now as we know hair colour fades, whether it's, box, professional, semi or permanent.
So this is why you're being left with a warm colour afterwards. I second what @AcidPerm is saying. Your best option would be to use a deposit only tint with green tones, but maybe even some blue tones if your hair has orange /copper tones with the red.
Also check out cooling shampoos like Matrix dark envy.
Or Wellas cool brunette tinted shampoo and conditioner.
Colour wow do a green tinted mousse, which is specifically designed to keep warmth at bay in darker hair colours too.

thanks so much for the reply’s

Latest posts

Back